good for a girl?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ashley08
PV Newbie

good for a girl?

Unread postby ashley08 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:16 pm

hello, i am a girl vaulter, and i was wondering what a good mark for a 7th grade girl is? i cleared 6ft on a 8ft pole (cut off 10ft pole)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:19 pm

It sounds like you are off to a solid start! Not many 7th grade girls in the US even get the chance to pole vault.

Keep having fun and working hard the and heights will keep coming :)

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:28 pm

yeah, 6ft is pretty good for someone your age, due to the fact that we have a girl in the 8th grade that jumps 6. Plus you have 5 more years to practice and work on technique.
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

ashley08
PV Newbie

Unread postby ashley08 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks, well i am in 8th grade this year. I never went to any meets, just practiced at the school. It came sorta natural to me because i have a gymnastic background.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:47 pm

That is good. Just keep focusing on the basics right now. Don't get into any bad habits that make it work at the time. That will screw you up later, big time. Do you mean that you have a pole that was cut? Like, CUT cut? I've never heard of anyone doing that.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:49 pm

People cut poles all the time. It messes with the sailpiece and some other junk, but its great for straight-pole vaulting. 6ft is very good for a 7th grader, just keep working on fundamentals and try to find a good coach or club to jump with. A good coach is a key to success in high school, you won't usually find 11+ jumpers in HS without a good coach. Good luck!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

KJ
PV Whiz

Unread postby KJ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:02 pm

We have a girl coming to our school next year. She is maybe 5ft (If that) and in 8th grade. She just cleared 7' the other day and the next hight she went to was 8' and hits it on the way down. She has a long way to go but if she is practically clearing 8' her first year ... we have alot to look forward to!!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:32 pm

how do you convince girls to pole vault... weve tried our hardest and coach has asked everyone and no girls will try to vault... and if they do it last like a day befor they quit cuz it's too scary... maybe it's something in the water around here affecting em?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:47 pm

VaultPurple wrote:how do you convince girls to pole vault... weve tried our hardest and coach has asked everyone and no girls will try to vault... and if they do it last like a day befor they quit cuz it's too scary... maybe it's something in the water around here affecting em?

Have them do lots of sand vaulting to build their confidence before they head to the pit.

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:21 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
VaultPurple wrote:how do you convince girls to pole vault... weve tried our hardest and coach has asked everyone and no girls will try to vault... and if they do it last like a day befor they quit cuz it's too scary... maybe it's something in the water around here affecting em?

Have them do lots of sand vaulting to build their confidence before they head to the pit.
i almost gave pole vaulting because the first couple weeks all we did was sand vaulting and it was just so boring
"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

Sean/vaulter/naeS
PV Nerd

Unread postby Sean/vaulter/naeS » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:47 pm

I'm sorry but I have to brag a little here, my little sister was stuck with me one weekend and I had to take her to vault practice, but when we got there she had nothing to do so she started to do some drills and then at the end of practice the girls tried to jump for height and we have some decent girls but a lot of beginners. My little sister joined in the jumping cleared 6'6" on her first day. She is a sixth grader and already a pole vault addict. All I can think is I wish I started that young.
VAULTERS ARE A CRAZY CREW BUT ITS A FUN RIDE!

pole.vault.cookie
PV Newbie

Unread postby pole.vault.cookie » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:46 pm

ashley08 wrote:Thanks, well i am in 8th grade this year. I never went to any meets, just practiced at the school. It came sorta natural to me because i have a gymnastic background.

Yeah, i have the same thing. I never did it till now, as a 9th grader and i never even got to touch a pole vault pit, till our first meet and i cleared 7-4. And i beleive its because of my gymnastics background.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”