help me!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

vault3r
PV Newbie

help me!

Unread postby vault3r » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:08 pm

Just recently i have noticed i've been having problems getting inverted on the takeoff. I was wondering if it could be to not having enough bend on the pole. The other problem was i have been javing trouble penetrating the pit and i tend to land pretty shallow. Is this a speed and plant problem?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:54 pm

First off, you shouldn't get inverted at take-off. That's insane and really scary (I used to do this all the time! :o ) You would need to say more about your plant for anyone to tell you if THAT was your problem. (Also, you can never go too fast.) Anyways, in order to invert, you need to swing up with a straight trail-leg and powerful drive-knee, AFTER creating potential energy in your pre-stretch/C-position during the follow through. If your landing shallow, it is more than likely that you aren't pushing the pole up past take-off. Do this mostly with your top hand, (bottom arm should be flexed out slightly,) and pretend you're trying to push the pole right over into the pit. A good drill to emphasize this is doing an approach and planting under a soft bungie around 8-9 feet above you. Try to hit it with the pole each time as you finish planting.

But if you're having trouble inverting, then most likely it's your swing up. Do drills to strengthen that, and make sure your take-off point is correct.

KJ
PV Whiz

Unread postby KJ » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:38 pm

There are numerous things that could be wrong with your vault especially if you are coming up shallow in the pit.
1. You could be under
2. You might not be running strong enough
3. You might be pulling down with your top arm instead of pressing up
4. You might be gripping to high on your pole
Either way you are not transferring enough energy into the vault.
Hope this helps you! :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”