What it takes to Break Records

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:02 am

It is definitely on the right track. Being with the right coach with the right set of poles, and most importantly the right athlete, can produce some amazing results. We have a freshman, going to be a sophmore now, whose PR went from 12'1 to 15'7 in 12 months, from all the things said above.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

JumpinSkiing
PV Nerd

Unread postby JumpinSkiing » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:56 am

That's one major limitation holding me back right now, poles. I'm definitely ready for a longer pole, me weighing 145 and using a 175 14 footer, which is the biggest pole we have, but my school, and surrounding schools, don't have any 14'7" or 15 foot poles, and my school only has around 3 14 foot poles itself.

pvdad81
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College vaulter, Masters vaulter, Parent of College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Jonathan Webb

Unread postby pvdad81 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:26 am

You may not be able to rely on your school to have the right pole for you. You must take matters into your own hands. If you have the money, buy your own. If you don't have the money, talk to the booster club. See if they have or can raise the money. Mow some lawns this summer. Earn some pole money. Create your own fundraiser. Once you have a few poles, you can trade up or sell to fund bigger poles. Look on the sales forum or E-bay. You may find someone near you trying to get rid of just the pole you need for less than retail.
If we relied on our school, my son would still be on a 12' pole. When we asked for new poles, we were reminded that Katrina damaged all our schools so there was no money. However they did have the money to buy a brand new 6' chain link fence to keep us off the track and out of the pit this summer.

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:25 am

I agree with pvdad. Do anything to raise $ to buy your own poles. The Booster Clubs are a great place to start. Get local businesses to sponser you. I see a lot of resturants with pictures of teams that they sponser. Don't wait for the school to buy anything. I have been told "Sure we're gonna get you some poles" or "We ordered them" and then they never showed up. After the end of the season I was told "The order got shipped somewhere else so we just cancelled it" I am no longer on staff as a coach in the district where I teach. But when my club kids need a pole that I don't have, (And I have about 45) we buy one. To be competitive, successfull and to increase your chances of breaking records, you have to have the right tools.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”