Stride Length

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks!

ALYpolevault
PV Nerd

stride

Unread postby ALYpolevault » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:26 pm

for xc we lengthen our strides by doing a lot of work with stretch bands. i had a lot of trouble with this when i hurdled cause i was getting more than 3 steps between hurdles. really what i did? i went running around my neighborhood and insisted on only putting one foot in each block of the sidewalk. i dont know it worked for me
cheat on your boyfriend
NOT your workout <3

JKSvault
PV Beginner

Unread postby JKSvault » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:59 am

An increase in stride length comes from improvement in the areas of leg strength, flexibility and running technique. As dj stated, pulling tires or sleds is a very good way to improve leg strength while maintaining proper running technique.

JungJoven
PV Newbie

Unread postby JungJoven » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:34 am

Ok so I did what dj said by pulling a tire but the rope left a really bad mark around my stomach and it hurts when I pull the tire. Is there a specific way i should place the rope or other place where i can tie the rope to myself?

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:45 am

I'm thinkin' about adapting an old weight belt with an eye hook mounted to it to attach the rope to with a similar connection to the tire. Just a thought. Later...............Mike

JKSvault
PV Beginner

Unread postby JKSvault » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:40 pm

I've seen a weight belt used with the rope tied to the back of it. This will be a little bit more comfortable than tieing the rope to yourself. Souleman, you might be on to something :yes: .

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:22 pm

our school has sleds with like backpack straps, i usually put 2 45 lbs plates on it
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:08 pm

DJ might correct me on this one but my thoughts are, with a harness around the shoulders that would require even a more forward posture. Keeping in mind that he said do these WITH a pole. With the sled attached to the waist, it seems to me that that would be more conducive to allowing for a pole carry and as was mentioned above, better posture by the mid mark. Once again........just a thought. Later..........Mike

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:37 pm

hey

around the waist is better..

use a bicycle tube.. around the waist with the rope attached..

don't over do the weight... 25lbs on a sled is more than i use for sprinters without poles.. you want resistance but technique also...

a small tire works fine...

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:56 pm

The object of the weight pulling is to slow things down so you can work on your mechanics from a more manageable speed.

Only way your shoulders should lean excessively forward is if the athlete mistakes this for pushing behind them. As long as the athlete is not pushing behind them you will see no change in upper body posture unless the weight is to much. Objective should be to work on tecnique at a slower pace while still using top end speed mechanics. The added weight just slows you down so you can work on your mechanics.

Better efficiency leads to higher speeds.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:55 pm

hey

the purpose of the sled is resistance training which hopefully will lead to two positive results..

1. overload to create strength and power

2. correct foot placement and body allignment to produce better technique..

both is needed to run faster..

another method was to run uphill (very slight uphill).. 6 times 30 meters 3 times a week and proform 100's of technical drills.. arm action, foot placement, foot strike..etc.. this was a method used by jim bush very successfully.. if you can find his vcr tape it would be very helpful..

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:33 am

Why is waist better??

We use 2 bicycle tubes worn almost like backpack straps. They form an X on the chest (one is taken over head from the left, and one is taken over head from the right). Makes a really comfortable wear.

Still, pulling tires does not promote a quick strike (short plant time when running), so I would only recommend it as a strength exercise.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”