Class of 2007 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:01 pm

Austin Smith from The Woodlands High School, The Woodlands, TX, (15' 6") is going to Texas A&M. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

THSVaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby THSVaulter » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:33 am

did he get any money from them?
5'7"@143
15' as a soph on 14' 165 UCS
Jr years here
15' 9" so far

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Good question. I'll check the next time I see him but I doubt it since they have a few higher level jumpers. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:38 am

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle ... LID=942416

-State Track Signs 18 for 2008
Courtesy: Kansas State University
Release: 06/25/2007

Courtesy: Kansas State University

K-State head track coach Cliff Rovelto has added 23 student-athletes for the 2008 season.
MANHATTAN, Kan. – Kansas State track and field has signed 18 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent, head coach Cliff Rovelto announced on Monday. Including the five NLIs the Wildcats received in the early signing period, K-State has now signed 23 student-athletes for the 2008 season.

“Two things we wanted to do with this recruiting class was to fill holes in our roster and to put quality people into those positions, and I feel we did that in a lot of places. Both of our teams will be more complete and stronger with this class,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:18 am

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... LID=942496

Men's track & field announces 2007-08 signing class
Courtesy: UTSA Athletics
Release: 06/25/2007

Aaron Fox
SAN ANTONIO â€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:20 am

SweetPVJumps wrote:and question, do all people sign to be on a team or just scholarship people or something do that? cuz I (Marie Brown, 10' 10") will be walking on to san diego state, and im not quite sure if i have to do something like that :o

My list includes walk-ons ;)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:21 am

I don't think I even knew this school had a track program.

http://tracypress.com/content/view/9808/2/

Domingo Rodarte/Tracy Press Wednesday, 20 June 2007
Brian Ramsey heads to Hannibal-LaGrange College. By Domingo Rodarte

Enrique Gutierrez/Tracy Press - x marks the spot:Brian Ramsey signs a letter of intent Thursday to pole vault at Hannibal LeGrange College in Missouri as father Jeff, and mother Kim sit next to him and his new head coach Josh Jones (from top left) and Tracy High Athletic director Mark Stroup, football coach Oscar Gutierrez and pole-vaulting coach Jay Fishburn watch.
Tracy High will say goodbye to one of the top athletes the school has seen.

Brian Ramsey, a track star and All-League football player for the Bulldogs, signed his letter of intent Thursday with Hannibal-LaGrange College with his parents and coaches looking on. Brian received a partial scholarship and will run track for the four-year liberal arts college in Hannibal, Mo.

Hannibal-LaGrange College, where Ramsey will study secondary education, is a Division I National Association of Intercollegiate Athletes (NAIA) school.

Josh Jones, the head track and field coach for HLG, approached Ramsey after practice in May, near the end of the track season. Ramsey, who flirted with the school pole-vault record of 14 feet, 6 inches on several occasions, was eager for the opportunity.

“I was really excited, and I’m really anxious now,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:14 am

From google's cache:

www.clarendononline.com/sports/sport%25201.htm

Sell signs with Wayland
By Sandy Anderberg

Two-time state gold medalist Brad Sell has signed with Wayland Baptist University on an athletic and academic scholarship. Sell will compete for WBU in the pole vault.
Wayland has appointed assistant coach Bryan Whitlock to the head coach position, and he followed Sell’s accomplishments closely.

“I’ve wanted to go to Wayland for awhile,â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:50 am

http://wsucougars.cstv.com/sports/c-tra ... 07aab.html

Track & Field Adds Prep Talent to 2007-08 Rosters
Head Coach Rick Sloan excited about the outstanding recruiting class for Cougars.

June 19, 2007

PULLMAN, Wash. - Four outstanding men prep distance runners from the state of Washington , and two accomplished women hurdlers have signed National Letters of Intent to compete for Washington State University in the 2007-08 season, Head Coach Rick Sloan announced Wednesday.

Signing NLIs and joining the Cougars men's team are Sean Coyle, a from Spokane Valley, Wash., David Hickerson and Peter Miller from Spokane, Wash., and Jeremy Swenson, from Shoreline, Wash. Veronica Elseroad-Wall, a hurdler from Casper, Wyoming, and Jalisa Williams, a heptathete from Pasadena, Calif., have signed NLIs and will join the WSU women's team.

Also committing to join the Cougars track and field team are the following talented incoming freshmen: Amanda Stewart, a high jumper from Decatur High in Federal Way, Wash., took sixth place at 2007, fourth in 2006, has a PR of 5-7; Ashlee Wall, a distance runner from Walla Walla, Wash., a WSU Regents Scholarship winner who finished 10th in state 4A 3200m with time of 10:59.11; and Trevor Sodorff, a pole vaulter from Woodinville, Wash., placed fourth in 2007, has a PR of 15-feet.

Following are the eight track and field recruits from earlier signing periods this year with updates on their spring accomplishments:

Women
Alexa Huestis, cleared 12-0 in pole vault from Chehalis, Wash., finished second at state 2A meet at 11-9

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:23 pm

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 7705250304

Gleason chooses Idaho State to further track career

Posted: 5/25/2007
STORY CHAT(read or post comments)
Zoom [+]

SUBMITTED PHOTO
Enjoys college visit: Smith Valley’s Kylee Gleason (center) poses with Idaho State University assistant track coach Jackie Poulsen (left) and Olympic pole vault champion Stacy Dragila during her recent recruiting visit to ISU in Pocatello, ID. Gleason last week signed a letter-of-intent to compete in track at ISU.

By Keith Trout
When one has many options, choosing a college to attend often is a tough decision for a high school senior and that was the case with Smith Valley's Kylee Gleason; but she is happy with the choice she has made.
Last Wednesday Gleason signed a national letter-of-intent to attend Idaho State University in Pocatello and compete on the track and field team, for which she has received a full scholarship.
Gleason last weekend completed her high school track career by winning four events, making it 15 state titles for her career (finished second once as freshman), and setting three more state records (including breaking her own in two), while one has been broken by a teammate. She also has set eight school track and field records (including two relays).
"I'm pretty excited. Now that I know where I'm going (to college), the hard part's over," she said by telephone this week. "I'm looking forward to it, I'm pretty excited."
She said the decision took a couple of weeks and talked to several people who have been involved in this process for their input and to discuss pros and cons, including her SVHS coaches and parents, Jim and Marla.
Her older sister Christy competed as a distance runner at University of Nevada, Reno, where she received a partial scholarship.
Regarding major factors in making her decision, Gleason said, "I like the town of Pocatello a lot better than Pullman (home of Washington State, the other top consideration)." She also was impressed that Stacy Dragila, a former pole vault word record holder and Olympic champion is training in Pocatello under her former long-time pole vault coach, Dave Nielsen.
Gleason, who also stood out in volleyball and basketball, will definitely compete in her specialty, the pole vault, but also may compete in the heptathlon and the 400 meter hurdles, she said.
Another major consideration was that ISU has a top academic program in sports medicine, an interest. "I'm hoping to get into sports medicine eventually," she said.
She has a GPA over 4.0 and is co-salutatorian of her graduating class at SVHS.
The academic program as well as the track program and its pluses were major issues for her father Jim, also, who accompanied her on the official visits to Pullman and Pocatello. She also recently visited the University of Nevada, Reno.
Jim Gleason also noted the school has an orthopedics clinic on campus and a good pharmaceuticals program also, both academic advantages.
He also said coach Nielsen, a former standout college pole vaulter, impressed him, as he really seemed to believe in Kylee and he has a strong academic emphasis in his program. He also noted he received many positive comments about the choice in talking with many others, including longtime Incline High track coaches Bill and Deb Devine and Spring Creek track coach Tom Reagan, ISU graduates.
Jim also noted she really liked the town and school and felt comfortable with the ISU athletes she spent time with there.
Nielsen was named the Big Sky Conference women's outdoor track coach of the year after two weeks ago leading the lady Bengals to the school's first-ever women's outdoor track Big Sky title. That was Nielsen's first coach of the year honor in his 23 years as the head track coach at the school but his first for girls.
Nielsen has coached 20 track All-Americans, 11 in the past four years, and 45 of his athletes have qualified for the NCAA championships.
Dragila, the first U.S. star of women's pole vault, after a divorce and not competing for a short time, is making a comeback to try to qualify for the 2008 Olympics, is also training there (Kylee met her on the visit), another enticement.
Gleason received a full-ride scholarship to ISU, both Gleasons said, and had the better financial package.
"I feel very positive about how this went," said Jim Gleason.
ISU also has a fine indoor track facility, Holt Arena, which hosts the annual Simplot Games, one of the larger indoor meets in the west for college and high school athletes (Jim competed there as a high schooler). Jim said another indoor pole vault set-up at the coach's wife's gymnastics club also allows year-round pole vault training.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:01 pm

http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticl ... LID=923528

The Citadel Track and Field Inks 22 Commitments During Late Signing Period
Courtesy: CitadelSports.com
Release: 06/11/2007

The Bulldogs will replace these 10 graduating seniors with 23 newcomers this year.
Charleston, S.C. – The Citadel track and field team announced 22 student-athletes committing to the school during the late signing period, announced Monday by head coach Jody Huddleston. The Bulldogs will be adding 19 men and three women to the ranks as they will be joined by early signee Sarah Creel, rounding out a 23-person signing class.

The 2007 signing class includes a crop of top runners from the South Carolina Lowcountry, including the top distance runner from James Island, West Ashley, Wando and Beaufort High Schools. Three state champions also head to the Military College of South Carolina with two-time state champion Quintin Turner from Wando High School and Maryland high jump state champion James Harris.

“This is one of our biggest and most talented incoming classes in the last 10 years,â€Â

vtcoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby vtcoach » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:07 pm

SweetPVJumps wrote:and question, do all people sign to be on a team or just scholarship people or something do that? cuz I (Marie Brown, 10' 10") will be walking on to san diego state, and im not quite sure if i have to do something like that :o

You should make sure the coach knows you are planning to walk on and you will still need to register with the NCAA clearing house.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”