new PR, 14'7". any advice?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
crazygeminirider
PV Newbie

new PR, 14'7". any advice?

Unread postby crazygeminirider » Sun May 27, 2007 6:30 pm

ok, so, heres my sectional meet. i PRed for the outdoor season by 7 inches, and PRed over my indoor best by an inch.

http://www.treemo.com/users/tblashford/channel/item/89503/

any advice?

all the information as to progression and poles are on the website.
i am a senior in NJ.
5'8" 146lbs

EPVaulter1
PV Wannabe

Unread postby EPVaulter1 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:56 pm

For 1 i am not a coach.... i guess you could just call me an observer
but i see a fairly decent jump
solid run (but could be a little faster) and solid plant
once you plant you need to do something w/ your trail leg... it should "trail" back and then swing to help you get your hips up and inverted... there is other stuff you will need to work on also... but fixing your trail leg will make it all much easier
RJ
130lbs
5'6"
PR - 13'0"

Just Go!

AvariceDemons
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Open Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.65m
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby AvariceDemons » Mon May 28, 2007 7:51 pm

Bottom half of your jump looks pretty good to me. The top half is where you could do the most work Id say. You let yourself flag off the pole a little early. Try to have your legs follow the pole up parallel to it a little longer, rather than dropping your legs once you reach the crossbar. If you stay with it a little sooner, itll keep all your momentum moving up rather than out like when you flag off the pole.
I found that turning a little earlier helped me to stay more vertical. once your halfway turned, it was much easier for me to stay parallel to the pole as I moved upwards.
Good drill to help with that is just a long swing into a turn. Hold lower, (like a grip you would use from 3 lefts/rights without bending the pole or a little lower) and run at an okay pace, doesnt have to be real fast. After you plant, swing your leg up. As soon as your close to finishing the swing try to extend out and turn at the same time and land on your stomach. Dont focus on getting vertical, just make sure that you stay parallel to the pole through it. Try holding lower so when you do extend out, you almost more horizontal than vertical. As long as you keep your motion moving along the pole, it will simulate the movement of it enough.
If anyone else can explain that in a better way, change it as necessary. I am not the best at explaining it, so hopefully you get the idea enough to try it out. Ill see if I can get a video of it next time I practice. If you already know it, keep doin it, it helped me a lot.
Anything not worth doing is worth not doing well. Think about it.
- Elias Schwartz

PR: 4.65m

crazygeminirider
PV Newbie

Unread postby crazygeminirider » Mon May 28, 2007 9:08 pm

hey, thanks for all the info. I can total picture what you mean by turning earlier to delay flagging out. i have a meet tomorrow, and ill see how i can use that in warmups!

I changed the video a bit and added slowmo on the 14' 14'3" and 14'7" jumps, with titles.
http://www.treemo.com/users/tblashford/channel/item/90368/

along with that, i added another video from earlier may. This video is the first meet i had over 14' this outdoor season.
http://www.treemo.com/users/tblashford/channel/item/90374/

any more tips would be awesome.

also. i can go up poles pretty easily. anything between 14'170 to a 14'7" 160 is usually a viable option for me come a meet. i had trouble gettin on my 15' 150 at my sectional meet. now, i already know its mostly because i was dead tired. i had taken 10 jumps already and PRed twice. but any tips for moving up poles would be nice. these are my poles i have. 14'150 14'155 14'165 14'170 14'7"155 14'7"160 15'150 and 15'155. i usually start my meets at 13' or 12'6" with the 14'165. and will move to the 14'7" at about 14'. for moving to the 15' any tips?

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 28, 2007 10:51 pm

Well, compare your jump at 12'6 to your jump at 14'3. You dont come back at all on the 12'6 because you know you dont have to in order to clear the bar. Thats no excuse, try to keep your jump looking the same no matter what the bar is at. The biggest problem i noticed was that you only come back as far as you need to for the certain hieght. You need to work on getting the form down so that at jumps like 14'7+ you can just do what you did the last time. Learn to do this, and you will find there is no need for you to come in lower than 13' or 13'6. When you can come in on those higher hieghts, your biggest goal should be clearing these starting heights quickly and efficiently, the same way you will when it comes to a PR. If you come in at 12'6 and miss a few on your way to jumping 15', of course you will be tired! But if you come in at 13'6 and make every attempt, by the time you jump at 15' you will have plenty of gas left and enough adrenaline to maybe get you through on that 15' 150 pole. But dont move up a pole until you blow through the lower one with the standards buried. I can tell you are ready to move up poles when you start using the same intensity on every jump. Treat every jump like a PR jump, and you will start seeing a consistently powerful run and jump. Then you will start moving up poles like crazy.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”