How high to get a scholarship?, fill me in

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

dan WD17
PV Beginner

How high to get a scholarship?, fill me in

Unread postby dan WD17 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:05 am

jumped 14'6, if i jump 15 feet by the end of the season as a junior, will it help get my name out to colleges? Then, lets say i jump 15'6 consistent my senior year, is that enough to get a full ride? Let me know.

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Sun May 06, 2007 11:27 pm

full ride? not most places, entry and maybe something on the side, yes to most places, but not the high end universities. you need good 16 foot jumps to get into those...
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon May 07, 2007 10:20 am

There's this black magic tool on this website called "Search". Shockingly, it'll read your mind and give you all the answers you seek. Witchcraft I tell you.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Mon May 07, 2007 1:52 pm

Texas Tech sends out a sheet with all its questionaires that does a great job explaing how a men's team has just 12.6 scholarships for the entire team and how the more events you can score in the better your scholarship will be. "The day and age of athletes competing in a single event and receiving a large scholarship is almost non-existent!" They list 15'6 as a walk on and 17'0 to be considered for scholarship. They also say that exceptional performance at major meets (state, Nike, Jr Nationals, Golden West etc) will help. This is just one college but probably typical of big DI schools. Hope that helps.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Mon May 07, 2007 2:02 pm

the best way to get your name out there is to contact all the colleges you are looking at, and send them all your stats and videos if you can. I jumped 14'9" as a junior and sent my name and videos to several DII colleges, and I heard back from all of them in a week or so. I'd say you'd have a pretty good shot at getting some money (not a full ride) for DII, but not for DI. You could probably walk on to alot of squads, but maybe not for DI. So insted of colleges "hearing" about you, let them know you're there by contacting them first.

dan WD17
PV Beginner

Unread postby dan WD17 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:50 pm

thanks for the info, needed to hear about how i need to contact the schools. i plan on getting higher then 15'6, and i know i have the potencial, just need to grip it and rip it!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 07, 2007 8:28 pm

If you are vaulting simply to get a scholarship, you probably wont get one. The best thing to do is have fun, because thats what makes you compete to the best of your ability. Plus, what happens if you jump 16' and get a decent scholarship, are you done getting better? Aim high and leave the politics to the coaches ;). If you jump to have fun, and clear 15'6 your junior year, chances are you could be in the mid 16's if you truly love the sport and are dedicated your senior year. Thats what colleges want to see, consistent improvement. Also keep in mind that if you get a half ride jumping 16', and your freshman year there you jump 17', they might give you a little more money for scoring them more points the next year.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Mon May 07, 2007 9:21 pm

vault3rb0y wrote: they might give you a little more money for scoring them more points the next year.

I don't know about that....I have about a half-ride schollarship and in the terms of that schollarship, they can't add on to it, or take it away for any reason. Which is actually good, because even if I have a serious injury and can't vault anymore they can't take away my schollarship.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 07, 2007 9:34 pm

I definitely know they cant take it away, but from what ive heard, they can bump up your amount, and may be inclined to do so if you are threatening transfer to a new college. It might be uncommon, but thats just what ive heard from coaches and athletes entering college in fall of '07.

It seems to me.... that if you sign a 1 year contract, they only have to honor that for 1 year and then can either give you same amount, bump it up, or bump it down. And if you sign a 4 or 5 year, then they cant change it. Im not sure, im sure you could look this up on the NCAA website, maybe ill do that someday :P.

dan WD17
PV Beginner

Unread postby dan WD17 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:46 pm

I never said i was vaulting to only get a scholarship. I dont know where your getting that info from! Just simply askin about how you can get a scholarship and what hieght i need. I love the sport and hope to vault in college !!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 07, 2007 10:03 pm

Thats good and you are absolutely right!! I guess i was just making sure that wasnt the all-too-often case, just the way the post is phrased makes it seem a little like that might be the overall goal. I was just making sure. Im glad to hear it isnt! :P

vaultgirlsummer
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaultgirlsummer » Tue May 22, 2007 10:59 am

Hey you guys wouldn't happen to know what a good height for girls would be? DI or DII schools. Some where in NC. I'm a junior and have got 11', but i am usually around 9'6'' or 10'.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”