Standards At ? Grip At?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

bcdsports14
PV Wannabe

Standards At ? Grip At?

Unread postby bcdsports14 » Wed May 02, 2007 8:51 pm

I am in my first meet tommorow and i have no idea where to put the standards at. I am 5'11", and weigh 150, im gripping about 10 3'ish, and i have a pr of 6' 6" but i need to get over 7'6" which is opening height. The other day practicing the standards were at 21 i beleive but i seemed to be hitting them alot when i was swinging up. What should they be set at?

Also i have been gripping 10 6 but i think i could grip higher with a little bit of a longer run. Should i stay at 10 6 or should i move up to 11? I will be using a 12 120.

THANKS!

g00eY
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby g00eY » Wed May 02, 2007 9:24 pm

You're going to use a pole that's rated 30 lbs below your body weight? I'm not sure if that's safe. You probably should not move up on the pole, as 10'6" is plenty of pole length for that height. You should focus more on your swing and row.

If you were hitting the standards on the way up, that means you need to move them back. Depending on how hard you are hitting it, I would try to work between 24 and 28.
PR - 13'0"

bcdsports14
PV Wannabe

Unread postby bcdsports14 » Wed May 02, 2007 9:43 pm

ok, i haven't been bending the pole much, if at all, yet so i dont think i need to worry about breaking it, even though it is a possibility. i wont grip beyond 10 6. they main issue for me is we have a limited supply of poles (3) and i can't carry a 13 comfortably.

Should i keep goin from 61 or should i move back?

bcdsports14
PV Wannabe

Unread postby bcdsports14 » Thu May 03, 2007 10:50 pm

ok, so today i was using a 12 130 and i got over 7 feet and then i ran out of darkness trying for 7 6. I was gripping 10 6 and i had the standards anywhere from 20 to 28 but my good jumps were at 22.

When at 7 6 i was kinda getting stuck in mid air and i seemed to lose enought propulsion to get over the bar as i was just about 6 or 7 inches short of it and probably a few inches below.

Where should i put the standards at and should i grip 10 9?

Thanks

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:07 pm

bcdsports14 wrote:ok, so today i was using a 12 130 and i got over 7 feet and then i ran out of darkness trying for 7 6. I was gripping 10 6 and i had the standards anywhere from 20 to 28 but my good jumps were at 22.

When at 7 6 i was kinda getting stuck in mid air and i seemed to lose enought propulsion to get over the bar as i was just about 6 or 7 inches short of it and probably a few inches below.

Thanks

Put your standards all the way back, drop your grip to 10'3", and don't raise your grip until you are hitting the bar on the way up with the standards all the way back.

The more you raise your grip, the slower your pole moves, that is why you feel like you are stalling out on top.

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Thu May 03, 2007 11:33 pm

g00eY wrote:You're going to use a pole that's rated 30 lbs below your body weight? I'm not sure if that's safe.

Thats not unsafe, unless he's bending it, but because he's only getting 7 feet, i doubt he has much bend. but stick with it, and do what becca said, dont raise your grip untill your hitting the bar on the way up..

good luck
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri May 04, 2007 12:02 am

Just realize that to instant you are able to bend that pole, you will probably need a bigger one. What will happen is this: You will begin to bend it, and immediately realize you can raise your grip to 11' doing so. From there, on a 12' pole, 30Ib's is extremely unsafe. you will have to hold 11' on a 12' 140 at least, to be considered a safe pole to jump on. Just keep working the straight pole until you are jumping your hand grip.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

bcdsports14
PV Wannabe

Unread postby bcdsports14 » Fri May 04, 2007 2:50 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
bcdsports14 wrote:ok, so today i was using a 12 130 and i got over 7 feet and then i ran out of darkness trying for 7 6. I was gripping 10 6 and i had the standards anywhere from 20 to 28 but my good jumps were at 22.

Thanks

Put your standards all the way back, drop your grip to 10'3", and don't raise your grip until you are hitting the bar on the way up with the standards all the way back.

The more you raise your grip, the slower your pole moves, that is why you feel like you are stalling out on top.

ok, thanks for that cause that seemed to be my problem (stalling in mid-air). i will grip down and move the standards back so i will have a more "flowing" vault. I have to go vault tommorow at 6:00am because i have to do it before the morning meet.

i wasn't bending it almost at all because i was using a 12 130 and i weigh 150.

if i am still stalling in mid-air what should i do?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 05, 2007 1:42 am

bcdsports14 wrote:if i am still stalling in mid-air what should i do?

1. Drop your grip another fist
2. Make sure you are accelerating all the way through your run (don't slow down!)
3. Keep working on a nice tall plant.
4. Keep that top arm straight while you swing. If you pull with it right off the ground you will slow your pole rotation.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

what to do

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun May 06, 2007 2:29 pm

LISTEN TO RAINBOWGIRL28!

PV ers Dad
PV Beginner

Unread postby PV ers Dad » Mon May 21, 2007 9:45 am

Are you in high school? High school rules require vaulters to use a pole vault pole that is test-weighted equal to his or her weight.

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:33 am

PV ers Dad wrote:Are you in high school? High school rules require vaulters to use a pole vault pole that is test-weighted equal to his or her weight.

they almost never check until state
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”