post-plant help?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Fdvsn158
PV Newbie

post-plant help?

Unread postby Fdvsn158 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:16 pm

I'm a junior vaulter, last season i went over 13 consistently, jumped 13'3 twice, but for my life, i cannot get inverted, i have a great plant, decent elevation on the takeoff, I'm on a 14/70

I get way beyond vertical on my pop ups, i can get far enough to backflip off a stiff pole, but for some reason when i flex a pole, i can't find the leverage or timing to get back to the point where my knees are tucked, hips are parallel to my shoulders, and my shins are touching my pole.

Also, this leads to my inability to get into the bubka position, causing me to not get in position to gain anything off the top of my pole

If anyone has some good drills, training tips, or just good advise for me, please reply

thanks
-mitch

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:46 pm

Leverage isn't what gets you inverted. It comes from getting your lead knee far enough ahead of your trail leg that it builds up tension to whip that trail leg low and rotate around the top hand, then the shoulders. Tucking your knees in isn't what you ought to be striving toward, but rather breaking at the hips just enough to speed your rotation until you drop your shoulders toward the runway and pull your hips in tight to the pole.

Work on Bubkas on the high bar, both from a swing and from the instep-to-the-bar position.

Fdvsn158
PV Newbie

Unread postby Fdvsn158 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:31 pm

thanks a lot... apologies for the ignorance

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:26 am

Buy a DVD from neovault! ;) :rose:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Fdvsn158
PV Newbie

Unread postby Fdvsn158 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:36 pm

i realized my biggest problem jumping today, i didn't collapse my bottom arm, i was trying to get deep into the pits by driving through the pole, instead of using the long swing to gain penetration...i started collapsing my left arm right after the row and right before the leg swing and i was getting much further back

Lefty
PV Newbie

Unread postby Lefty » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:29 am

Yeah, if you don't collapse the arm, it will force your body out to the side as the pole unbends. This makes it impossible to invert completely and you will just flag out to the side. Once you get your legs up near your hands, drop the shoulders, bring that arm in, and pull. The sign that you are bringing the arm in is you will develop a bruise on the side of your forearm.
Potential > ∞

Fdvsn158
PV Newbie

Unread postby Fdvsn158 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:40 am

i already have a bruise from popups...its actually almost a permanent lump now... but yeah, my swing is easier to get further back now

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”