All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

How much do you guys hurt?

Unread postby souleman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Here's a question I've been afraid to ask since I came back to vaulting because of what the answer probably is. OK, figuring I'm in pretty good shape for a 55 year old fart, I still hurt all the time. I go through the DOMS deal (stiff and sore 2 days after any kind of workout or jumping session). I was just wondering if this is just part of the deal or am I just physically wearin' out. Just wondering. Later......Mike

mcantu3814
PV Beginner

it's normal

Unread postby mcantu3814 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Dude, I'm 31 and I just got back into pole vaulting after jumping in college back in 1996. I jumped a little in 2000 and none since. I just started and I hurt for 2 days after jumping. I actually had to buy heel inserts for my shoes cause I had a case of Plantar fasciitis. Get with Bubba: bubba@bubbapv.com

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:03 pm

I only WISH I started this crap when I was 55!!!!!! I consider myself pretty darn strong now but I still have to take a few steps to get in the upright position in the morning!!!!!! Just crap we gotta put up with....... "once you've tasted flight....""" ;)
Bob

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:18 pm

Mike
I am sure all of us masters vaulters go through this experience with many of the same feelings, mabye some guys have an easier time with it, and some a harder time but generally I think we are all in the same boat.

From my perspective after training contnuously since 1969 each year just gets harder and even though memory is fading and it is hard to recall just how much we hurt after workouts when we were younger. All I know is it sure gets tuff and now after workouts that just don't seem like they are all that hard, the next day you can hardly walk or use your arms.

We just have to train smart, stay as strong and flexible as we can and realize just what being a masters vaulter really means and I guess get some satisfaction in the thought that all of us Masters vaulters know the price we all pay to keep on vaulting.

Vault On

oldguy
PV Newbie

Unread postby oldguy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:59 am

If something doesn't hurt in the morning when I wake up I'm afraid I've died in the night.

colbert
PV Beginner

Unread postby colbert » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:45 pm

As a 48-year old, I've also found how much pole vaulting takes out of you compared to when you were 18. It truly demonstrates how much our body declines over the years.
I also do long-distance running (10-15 miles) and find more muscle fatigue in pole vaulting. I can do my long runs, but have problems doing more than six jumps in a daily workout.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:35 am

I distinguish between my body talking to me because it is old and my body talking to me because I subject it to the rigors of the vault. Even when I haven't done much working out or vaulting I still have minor joint and muscle "start up" problems when I get up in the morning. Fortunately, I don't often have to do anything strenuous immediately after getting up so I just take my time and work my joints a bit and stretch a bit. Not a routine mind you, just enough to relieve the clicks and creaks of an older body.

If I have done a hard (for me) workout like 25 or 30 aggressive sliding box plants, the next day or two I will have some tenderness in the muscles that got "stressed". I have been fortunate of late not to have a major blow out of a joint or muscle, only relatively minor injuries that I feel for a week or so but I can still work gently through doing most activities. For instance last Monday I was vaulting and really trying to have an active, clawing approach run. That action stressed my right quad a bit and I was aware I needed to cut it some slack this week. It is still slightly tender to the touch, but I'll be back to normal soon.

I feel like after 5 years, I have finally improved my conditioning enough and learned what works and what doesn't for my body. I try to stay within that framework, but I admit I sometimes get sucked into trying to demonstrate a vault technique for the HS vaulters when I haven't properly warmed/loosened up. Fortunately that doesn't happen as often as it used to.

- master

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:26 pm

I think listening to your body is key. I don’t hurt anything like I used too after training or the next morning but I also feel I have a pretty go work/rest ratio and stop if I even THINK I’m starting to feel something. There is NOTHING worse than being out 4-8 weeks for taking that “one more jumpâ€Â
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Lt Don
PV Newbie

Unread postby Lt Don » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Mike,

I am sure everyone is different, but everyone is sore. Some are just blessed with great genetics and are able to jump at a relatively high level without injury. I am constantly in between some soreness or injury. Fewer this year than last, and I hope next year will be better (smarter). Bubba is right though (as usual) you've got to listen closely to what your body is saying. No extra jump or interval is worth a 6 week layoff. Consistentcy is the real key, not a harder workout.

Don't quit jumping...don't quit learning!

Don

bobcanjump
PV Newbie

still good once as i ever was

Unread postby bobcanjump » Wed May 16, 2007 10:04 am

I vaulted about 20yrs and then took off 17.. then came back in 97"... I was like 42 and thought things would be rather easy because i stayed in pretty good shape. It wasnt bad except starting out again the body wasnt use to the explosive run and plant. Went through some time working back into some things. Like Bubba has said,"you need to listen to your body"... dont go do that one more, when you know you have had enough. I have found that rather than do all the heavy lifting you can get by doing many reps with light weights.
As far as being sore these days, I am one of the different ones, the only time i get sore or feel bad is when i havent gone out and ran for a few days, my body also feels bad if i have not pole vaulted in 2 weeks. I will be 53 in July, I have had knee surgery, neck surgery, injections in my lower back, and injections in my left foot.. All i might add is not cause from my jumping, and NOT once told by dotors to stop jumping!
Each time i thought i was done, but i am not one that sits around alot... as you get older, you need to keep moving. As far as stretching dont over stretch, You can still do everything you use to do you just dont do it as hard, as long... As long as i am doing something physically, my body feel great!

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”