Wrist Pain

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Wrist Pain

Unread postby ACvault » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:05 pm

Hey, very recently I've been having alot of pain in my left wrist after I get done vaulting and usually the day after. Besides ice/icy hot etc, does any know of like a wrist protector or soother or should i just tape my wrist. By the way I have a meet tommorow so quick input would be helpful!

adamstarr
PV Newbie

Unread postby adamstarr » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:44 pm

I have a similar problem in my right wrist. I usually load up on ibuprofen and tape my wrist before practice and meets.

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:40 pm

yep tape and ibuprofen is the best policy ;)
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:44 pm

this pain is a result of you guys not turning well with the pole; if you get inverted and then you don't turn, or even if you don't get inverted, your pole is unbending into your writs beucause it is in the way. Getting sideways with the pole helps you use the pole energy more eefficiantly and also, you get ride of the pain.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

vballswimvault
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vballswimvault » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:34 pm

hey funny thing i just hurt my wrist too.
it wasnt from an actual vaulting day, either. i think it might have been handstands one day, but i didnt feel it till later.
taping helps me for the time being--but its not getting any better
if it was my left hand id be okay--but its my right and that makes it just a bit hard to hold the pole at the beginning of my run.
i hate skipping out on training days for arms, cause i feel like a slacker and i wanted to do really good this season.
any advice on whether i should rest it till it gets better [and how long that should take], or work through the pain?

un poco loca saltar
PV Fan

Unread postby un poco loca saltar » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:48 pm

try to stay off ur wrist as much as possible. or atleast, try not to do anything to irritate it more if it already hurts like the dickens. *haha*
but try to keep moving your wrist about. keeps ur muscles loose so when u do have to use ur hand again you wont hurt yourself so much. Ice it, try not to sleep with your hands under your body, and try to keep it in as good of condition as you possibly can until it feels better.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”