Class of 2007 College Signings

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:40 am

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/article ... news08.txt

The Zone: Stevens connection leads McKie to WCU
By Jim Holland, Journal Sports Writer
RAPID CITY - When you're trying to chart your college future, there's probably no better advice than from someone who has been there, done that.

Rapid City Stevens gymnast and track and field athlete Kassie McKie decided to follow in the footsteps of a former Raider when she announced her intention to attend Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C., and compete for the NCAA Division I Tigers.

Western Carolina came highly recommended by Stevens and WCU alum Laura Tieszen., herself a former club and Stevens high school gymnast and pole vaulter who helped coach McKie and other Raider pole vaulters last spring.

McKie had been looking at other schools, including Boise State, where her brother attends, and Montana, but received a call from the WCU coach.

"That wasn't really expected, because I wasn't really looking into the school," McKie said. "He said I'd be a good fit for his program."

Part of Tieszen's insight included an e-mailed "top 10" list of Western Carolina's advantages, including the small-town atmosphere of the campus located in the Smoky Mountains, small class size, the coaching staff, and even the fact that school was far from home.

"To me that was a positive. I wanted to try new things and meet new people," Tieszen said.

And while Tieszen sang the virtues of her alma mater, she knew it would ultimately be McKie's decision.

"I told her that basically it comes down to you making a visit," Tieszen said in a telephone interview from Tampa, Fla., where she teaches third grade.

"I wanted to give her my insight, but I didn't want it to seem like I was pushing her into it. I know a college experience is different for everybody."

In the end, McKie and her family did make a trip to western North Carolina in early November and the WCU campus and program sold itself.

"When I went down there, I just fell in love with the school," McKie said. "All the athletes were very welcoming and encouraged me to come to their track team."

And Tieszen's positive experience at the school didn't hurt.

"She was so successful with their program," McKie said. "And her being a South Dakotan also made a difference."

McKie is competing for the Raider gymnastics team this winter, but is also looking forward to putting what she learned from Tieszen to good use in the pole vault this spring.

"She helped me to not plant too early, along with some technique in the air and on top of the pole," McKie said. "I think it'll really show this year, because I'm putting it all together."

"She is a very hard worker who doesn't complain at all from what I've seen," Tieszen said. "She's very willing to try new things, and to work hard to fix things that aren't going well. She's very coachable."

"I definitely wish her well. I know she'll be successful," Tieszen said.

"We've talked a lot since she had coached me and after I signed, and we've become friends," McKie said.

kat_vaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby kat_vaulter » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:22 am

Has Morgan Lancaster signed with anyone yet?

invert07
PV Nerd

Unread postby invert07 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:34 am

no she hasn't yet but is looking at a few colleges and waiting untill the next signing period to choose.
sic 'em!!

Today, talent alone is not enough.

-sergey bubka-

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:33 pm

From Dyestat

Middlebury College
Williams, Kris - Fairport HS, Fairport, NY - PV

RES
PV Beginner

Unread postby RES » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:53 am

About the signing dates. How does that all work. I really should know this being a senior but I don’t. :o Is there a post already set up discussing this?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:12 am

RES wrote:About the signing dates. How does that all work. I really should know this being a senior but I don’t. :o Is there a post already set up discussing this?

There is an early signing period that is now over. The next signing period has not started yet. Any coach who is recruiting you can tell you the details on when you can sign.

vballcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby vballcoach » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:26 pm

Indiana University

Stephanie Chin- Bloomington South HS, Bloomington, IN - PV

Just a proud Dad ;)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:49 am

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/cnhi/tr ... 00013.html

Hilltop’s Cort signs Dukes deal

By CORY ISENBERG
The Tribune-Democrat
Westmont Hilltop’s Ariana Cort has only been pole vaulting for 21?2 years, but she has progressed rapidly, and Wednesday afternoon signed a letter of intent to continue her vaulting at Duquesne University.

“I looked at a number of colleges and just decided to go on a visit to Duquesne, I wasn’t even sure I wanted to go there,â€Â

zipsDIGSpv
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach

Unread postby zipsDIGSpv » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:31 pm

Miracle Thompson (11' 9.75") from Terre Haute North H.S. in Terre Haute, IN has signed with the Salukis at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
I beat my body and make it my slave
-I Corinthians 9:26-27

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:50 pm

http://media.www.thechartonline.com/med ... 9557.shtml

Rutledge announces 2007 signing class
Jesse Cordova

Issue date: 4/20/07 Section: Sports
Print
Email

Article Tools
Page 1 of 1
The MIAA indoor champion men's track and field team has announced five recruits for the fall.

Head track coach Tom Rutledge and his staff have announced the signing of five new athletes to join the Lions in the fall of this year.

"We've got a full run of vaulters coming in next year," said Rutledge.

Two of the five early signings announced were pole vaulters Ethan Hobbs and Luke Willadsen.

Hobbs, a McDonald County prep, comes to Southern after lettering in track four years straight. Last year he finished in fourth place at the state meet and in a little less than four years has broken and re-broken the school's vault record, most recently with a mark of about 15 feet at a meet in Carl Junction.

Willadsen, out of Excelsior Springs, is the other vaulter that has already signed with Southern. Willadsen holds the school record in the pole vault and has lettered in track for four years and, last season, was a conference champion in the event.

"Next year we have a couple of All-Americans (Jacob Williams and Russell Ellis) coming back, these guys (Hobbs and Willadsen) should help us keep our vaulting dynasty going once their gone," Rutledge said.

Another strength that the track team has is its distance runners. To add to that strength Rutledge brought in Lee's Summit North product Kevin Denny.

Denny, an all-conference, all-district, and all-sectional runner in cross country, comes to Southern after helping his team win conference and district championships his sophomore and junior years.

"He should be able to come in and keep it (strength in distance events) going next year," Rutledge said.

The biggest weaknesses for the track team this year have been hurdles and sprints. To help fix this problem Southern will see sprinters Kevin Wright and Andrew Shockley.

Wright, a McAlester, Okla., native, is an all-state performer in track and football. Wright took first in the state for his efforts in the 4X100 and 4X400 meter relays. He was also a medalist in the 110m and 300m hurdles as a junior.

Shockley will join the team after earning four letters at Excelsior Springs. He was an all-conference, all-district, and all-sectional athlete in the 200m and 4X200 relay.

"(Ryan) McPeak is doing a great job in the 400, but we need more strength there, Rutledge said.

"I think our recruiting class as a whole is so far so good," said Rutledge. "We only lose two athletes, but with the depth we'll add with these young men, that with the help of our returning veterans, should keep us on top."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:34 am

http://billingsgazette.net/articles/200 ... anford.txt

Project's Cranford to run for Griz
By Gazette News Services

MISSOULA - Clark Cranford of Worden and Taylor Nepon of Spokane, Wash., have signed letters of intent to join the Montana track and field program, coach Tom Raunig announced.

Cranford, a senior at Huntley Project High, was the state Class B 300-meter hurdles (38.31 seconds) champion in 2006, helping the Red Devils to the state title. He also placed fourth in the pole vault (13 feet, 6 inches) and was a member of Huntley Project's state champion, 400-meter relay team that set a Class B state record of 42.55.

He is also an all-state football and basketball player and has the best time in the state among all classes, this spring, in both the 110-meter hurdles (14.98) and 300-meter hurdles (39.11).

Polevaultgirly16
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Polevaultgirly16 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:45 am

Melissa peaslee Signed with Seattle Pacific University :)
What would you do if you were not afraid?

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”