upper air

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

pverrr
PV Beginner

upper air

Unread postby pverrr » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:21 am

hey. ive been trying to work my upper air in my jump. instead of turning and popping upward, i can only seem to turn outward and not upward. i finnish the jump only getting in the air up to my hand grip. i just started working on popping up and dropping my shoulders, but i just wanted to see if any one had any really good advice on working this. my coach said that if i got that, i could be an 11 ft jumper right now, so i really want to work on it. thanks for any input.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:06 pm

do you have any video of you jumping? it would help a lot for suggestions.

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 pm

LHSpolevault wrote:do you have any video of you jumping? it would help a lot for suggestions.

yeah videos would help alot :yes:

However, I think it's very important to have a straight trail leg and swing all the way to the top and past the pole. If you have a straight trail leg, that will also help bring those hips up, which will help so you don't just turn outward.

But I'm definitly not an expert, so please some one who is more knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong.

pverrr
PV Beginner

Unread postby pverrr » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:19 pm

yea sorry i dont have any video... i guess in order for me to do it, itll take a lot of time and practice. my trail leg is straight and i get a good sweep. i think i need to rock back, but its so weird because everytime i try it like i cant go any where, even if i try really hard. i also think by the time i rock back the pole is already unbent... that would explain a lot.[/img]

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:27 pm

it sounds like at this point in your progression, the best thing you can do is seek out a coach to work certain things at certain times. Its hard for people on here to help unless we have video to analyze, or in-depth descriptions of the problem(s). Especially when kids, like us, arent elite vaulters, theres only so much people can tell us to help. The best thing to do is seek out a coach and learn from him/her. Once you learn enough about the vault, you learn the way things are supposed to look, and you start to understand the physics of it all. Once that happens, you can ask questions based on that model. I would just say find a coach to help, and learn a lot about the physics of the vault- possibly a copy of BTB to jump start you. But after reading that book, dont be thinking about every little step as you jump... just listen to your coach because he/she can see things you cannot. Good luck!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

pverrr
PV Beginner

Unread postby pverrr » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:47 pm

thanks. i have to get that book. i havent got around to it, but it must be pretty good because i hear a lot of people "advertising" it. i have a coach and all to help me out. he pretty much told me to keep pulling and pop my hips and drop my shoulders, so i just pretty much have to practice all that. thanks for the advice, though.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:34 am

Well im not trying to sell anything, in fact you could probably get a ton of the points made in that book by using the search feature on this site. Its just an easy and organized way of reading it. Just a suggestion :P
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:29 am

vault3rb0y wrote:Well im not trying to sell anything, in fact you could probably get a ton of the points made in that book by using the search feature on this site. Its just an easy and organized way of reading it. Just a suggestion :P

And it has great pictures!

pverrr
PV Beginner

Unread postby pverrr » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:26 pm

yea i wasnt sayin you were trying to sell it or any thing. i just hear a lot of people talking about it and saying its a great help.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”