Preseason Outlook?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

Unread postby russvault » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:34 pm

I have been back home a few times and trained with the guys at McNeese. They are right on schedule and have picked up right where they left off last year. Look out for a big year for both Jimmie and Brad!

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:57 am

SlickVT wrote:
kat_vaulter wrote: It takes alomst perfect form to do that. You can still do it if you don't have "perfect" form but you must have one heck of a push off.

That is completely not true. I have seen a bunch of ugly-lookin 18'0 jumps.

Some weren't very good pushoffs either. Just extremely gifted athletes holding high and running fast.

It does say alot about their potential if they cared even a little bit about cleaning up their jump and becoming more efficient.

If this is perfect form, I need to seriously rethink my training...

http://www.perchefrance.com/public/0407 ... m65xxo.mov

Romain Mesnil 5.65m (18'6ish")
4.75... Write THAT down...

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:02 am

blakedow wrote:
SlickVT wrote:
kat_vaulter wrote: It takes alomst perfect form to do that. You can still do it if you don't have "perfect" form but you must have one heck of a push off.

That is completely not true. I have seen a bunch of ugly-lookin 18'0 jumps.

Some weren't very good pushoffs either. Just extremely gifted athletes holding high and running fast.

It does say alot about their potential if they cared even a little bit about cleaning up their jump and becoming more efficient.

If this is perfect form, I need to seriously rethink my training...

http://www.perchefrance.com/public/0407 ... m65xxo.mov

Romain Mesnil 5.65m (18'6ish")

I have a new idol

kat_vaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby kat_vaulter » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:11 pm

Let me clarify my previous statement. In order for for the majority of people to jump 18', they must have good technique/push-off! The example of Romain Mesnil's 5.65m jump:
He was in great positions throughout the vault except when he was going over the bar! At the point where he is pushing off the pole he just over rotates. I am not sure if this is the way he vaults all the time or if he just used his kinesthetic awareness to make it over the bar.

I was not saying in order to have a 18' jump everything must be perfect. If that were true then there would be only a handful of 18' jumpers. Also, the majority of college vaulters use poles that range from 4.60- 5.0M in length. With this a person must have better technique to jump 18' than people who can jump on a 5.20. The longer your pole is the more room there is for error in attaining the same height as someone using a shorter pole.

Sorry it took so long to respond!

Powervaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby Powervaulter » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:35 pm

I've seen this "spin" move done several times, and it always makes me smile... I believe Toby does it on "A Pole Vaulter's Dream," I've seen Starkey do it too.

v@ult_cr@zy
PV Newbie

Unread postby v@ult_cr@zy » Thu May 03, 2007 10:40 pm

" I'm predicting four to five 18' jumpers out of this conference alone... I'm also going to predict that this will be the most represented conference in regional meets this year... My guess is somewhere around 15 guys AT LEAST from this conference will qualify... Probably more... "

I think that is was really streching it, you would make one hell of a fisherman, but i sure as hell would not let you pick my lottery numbers... how many ppl have been over 17 in the southland so far blake?

Return to “Pole Vault - College”