Speed!!!!!!

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Baggettpv@MySpace

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:50 pm

baggettpv wrote:Ok all, how do I make it open to anyone? Please advise....

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Look in your blog settings. I logged out and checked mine and I could still read the blogs, so you must have something checked that is hiding your blog from non-friends.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:50 pm

Rick,

Do you perfer the long to short method of training. Or do you put a little speed work on your days off Tuesday and Thursday.

All i see there is speed endurance work which with the rest is on the border of tempo work. What is your tuesday and thursday like?

I am curious because most of the other coaches I have talked training theory with go with the Short to Long method except distance coaches.

Could you please put the focus of your training as well I think that would help. Is it to gain speed endurance, work capacity or just to get the legs moving.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:46 pm

Whatever you did, made it so I could see the blog post without having a myspace account. Thanks.

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:03 pm

master wrote:Whatever you did, made it so I could see the blog post without having a myspace account. Thanks.

- master

You didn't want to join Myspace? :P

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:24 pm

LOL yea master, i assure you plenty men in the 40+ age group join myspace :). You can make lots of friends.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:49 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
master wrote:Whatever you did, made it so I could see the blog post without having a myspace account. Thanks.

- master

You didn't want to join Myspace? :P

So play salesman and tell me what the benefits are. While you're at it, tell me about FaceBook also. I believe you indicated you created a "group" there and that any vaulter could "join" the group, is that correct?

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:18 pm

master wrote:So play salesman and tell me what the benefits are. While you're at it, tell me about FaceBook also. I believe you indicated you created a "group" there and that any vaulter could "join" the group, is that correct?

- master

I actually think Myspace is a piece of crap, but that is where the people are. It can be a good way to reconnect with people from your past.

Facebook is a similar service but the site has a better design. It doesn't give you constant error messages and it lets you upload other pictures.

You'll just have to check them out for yourself and see if it interests you.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:12 pm

Facebook will find you a lot more college vaulters than high school vaulters, and you wont be able to view some peoples profiles unless you are friends with them. I think we should find a general blog open to all people to use.... facebook and myspace arent going to give us what we are exactly looking for, so why sign up?
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:18 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Facebook will find you a lot more college vaulters than high school vaulters, and you wont be able to view some peoples profiles unless you are friends with them. I think we should find a general blog open to all people to use.... facebook and myspace arent going to give us what we are exactly looking for, so why sign up?

Ash made one just for pole vaulters on polevaultpit.com and there was minimal interest.

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Workouts

Unread postby Vault Chick » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:02 am

My coach told me this, since I also wanted to do running drills in the offseason. He told me to just go out and do about ten 40's, and really focus on getting high knees. Hope this helps a little! I am trying to build up strength and speed as well!
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

2-15-46
PV Pro

Re: Workouts

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:46 am

Vault Chick wrote:My coach told me this, since I also wanted to do running drills in the offseason. He told me to just go out and do about ten 40's, and really focus on getting high knees. Hope this helps a little! I am trying to build up strength and speed as well!

I think that's a good work out ...simple and keeps the focus on speed and high knees...... I have been doing it on a runway....now I will take a pole and do them, gradually work my way to a sliding box..... when you are 60 everything has to be gradual!!!! haha
Bob

baggettpv
PV Master

WSTC LLC Training Ideas.

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:17 am

To all,
I believe that a good strength endurance base is required in order:
1. Prevent tendon and joint injuries later
2. Develop a methodology of training for the athletes
3. Move into proper running mechanics from the running drills to the track.

When I look at the perioodization schedule the first cycle has a total max of 2000 meters. then move down to 1500 (delete the 200's move wednesday schedule to monday etc), then 1000, 800, 400 and lastly 200. The training distances should add to these amounts.
ie 2 @ 5 x 200 = 2000 meters.
2 @ 5 x 150 over Int. Hurdles = 1500
2 @ 5 x 100 = 1000
2 @ 5 x 80 in/outs=800
2 @ 5 x 40 =400
2 @ 5 x 20 starts from block = 200
this is really basic with no auxiliary work shown. Just a basic running training plan. All running biomechanics are taken care of daily (with remediation) during the warmups. And all pole work is NOT mentioned.
A basic time for experienced men in the 200's would be in the 27 to 29 second range. Women 10 seconds slower. But continous with whatever times the athlete starts with. I have one in the 34's for women and another in the low 40's. The ideas came from Andjei when I worked with him in 85. Long story!
Remember there is alot more to coaching/training athletes than just a recipe for activity. the ingrediants aren't always the same.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
USATF Senior Coach

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”