Speed!!!!!!

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
bahoola
PV Newbie

Speed!!!!!!

Unread postby bahoola » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:07 pm

:D hey, Ive just started training about tree weeks ago just going off of making up workouts.... bascily for running I am doing 10 x 100's on tuesday & 6 x 100's uphill on thursday, along with lifting and pole work on monday wednesday and friday...

I am looking towards getting my speed up fast and am hoping to improve my hundred by close to a second by track season... what type of speed training and lifting program should I be on?... any specific types of workouts?? uphills/ downhill, or what??? - definitely look for something that is going to be efficient

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:51 pm

Depends on what your focus is.

Seeing as nobodies season starts a couple months minimum, theres no hurry to get into speed. Spend time running some 200's, 150s etc. Build a good base up. As november and december come, if your indoor season starts in januray, that would be a good time to do more 100s, 50s pole runs. Also look into something called overspeed training. Things to teach your nervous system to act quickly.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:03 pm

Agree with VTechVaulter

After spending some time on speed endurance - 100m-200m, then you can look at speed work. Speed is actually anything 60 meters and under - you won't get faster running 100's, but you'll get more speed endurance. 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's from standing or flying starts at 100% will make you faster, and possible some of those distances on gradual hills for resistance, and very slight downhills for overspeed.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:56 pm

If you know any form-running exercises, keep up with those as well. High knees, A-skips, B-skips, fast legs will build your speed. But like others are saying, this is a good time to build a base. You want to build speed endurance so that in coming months you dont get as tired doing these sprints. It might also be a good time to get some light leg lifts in, just tone and strengthen those muscles a bit before your running workout. Currently i will just do leg press 3 sets of 10, leg curl 2 sets 10, leg extension 2 X 10, and calf presses 3 sets of 30. Just twice a week, plus some 400's, 200's, and 100's.

You will have plenty of time to build your speed once the season starts. What you might want to focus on right now is gaining the ingredients to speed- like strength, form, and endurance. Then once the season roles around, and you jump into serious speed training, you will be less prone to injuries and be ready to run much faster. Good luck :yes:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

baggettpv
PV Master

Workouts

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:36 pm

I am posting our workouts on a blog on myspace.com/baggettpv for this year. The dynamic warmups are at willamettestriders.com also. Strenght and Technique training to follow at myspace.com/baggettpv

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Workouts

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:47 pm

baggettpv wrote:I am posting our workouts on a blog on myspace.com/baggettpv for this year. The dynamic warmups are at willamettestriders.com also. Strenght and Technique training to follow at myspace.com/baggettpv

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

awesome-O, since I go week to week without a solid plan.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:06 pm

baggettpv wrote:I am posting our workouts on a blog on myspace.com/baggettpv for this year. The dynamic warmups are at willamettestriders.com also. Strenght and Technique training to follow at myspace.com/baggettpv

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Do I need to have an account on MySpace to access the workout description on your blog?

- master

trackicon
PV Newbie

Speed training

Unread postby trackicon » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:11 pm

My friend gave me this program to work with. He's ran 10.21 in College and he was only like 11.6 runner in High school. Also since I've been doing these workouts for the last 2 months I've dropped my 40 to 4.45 and my 100 to 10.7

For acceleration: 0-30 meters of running, usually 6-12 reps depending on distace and type of resistance
-hills runs
-laying down starts, 3 point starts
-bungee, sled, light harness, tire pull, etc. runs
-60,90m ins/outs [20m-100%, 20m-80% (hold speed, relax, proper form) 20m-100%]
-Plyometrics, jumping
--you can Use a timed 40yd dash to measure progress

For Top Speed: 30-60 meters of running, usually 4-8 reps depending on athletes conditioning
-rolling starts (start 15-30m behing starting point to gain momentum)
-standing starts at distances between 40m-60m
-Core training
--you can use a timed standing 50-60m run to test or a flying 40-60m run to measure progress

Sample workouts:
day 1: 8x30m accels up a slight hill, plyometrics
day 2; 10x100m (tempo 65-80%), drills,form/technique
day 3: 6x30m rolling start, core training
day 4: 10x100m (tempo 65-80%), drills, form/technique
day 5: 6x50m standing start

day 1: 4x30m from 3pt stance, 4x60m ins/outs
day 2: 8x200m (tempo 65-80%)
day 3: 6x40m rolling start, core training
day 4: 10x100, 8x80, 6x60, 4x40, 2x20 (tempo 65-80%) back and forth strides
day 5: 4x60 standing start

Notes:
-separate accel, speed and endurance workouts
-I usually alterante easy (technique) day with hard speed/ plyo work
-make sure athlete gets plenty of rest and recovery time when doing speed workouts
-start with shorter reps and distances if athlete is inexperienced
-work on developing acceleration first, then speed and speed endurance, endurance etc.
-If athlete does running events, eventually add faster runs of 80m and up. Consistant long runs will effect speed though.
Champions train, endure pain, and never complain

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:15 pm

thats a very interesting shedual. is it only rotated every week? or is there more weeks put into there? it would be a good routine but seams to not have alot of longer tempo runs. only the 200 m every other week. it is very similar to what i have done in the past and it is very effective
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:23 pm

Is this the right time of year to do that program? It seems like something one would want to do closer to competition season.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:30 pm

master wrote:

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Do I need to have an account on MySpace to access the workout description on your blog?

- master

I logged out and tried to access it, and it appears that you have to be a Myspace member and then add Rick as a friend to access the blog.

baggettpv
PV Master

Baggettpv@MySpace

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:43 pm

Ok all, how do I make it open to anyone? Please advise....

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”