vaulting spikes?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Maine Vaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Maine Vaulter » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:28 am

any suggestions for a shoe to do the PV, HJ, 110hh and the 300ih ?

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:44 pm

Anybody know where I can buy the Mizuno TJ/PV spikes? I had put an order in with a company but apparently the Mizuno factories had some problems and won't be making anything this year...so I need to find some place that has the shoes in stock. Any thoughts???

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:16 pm

I've worn most shoe brands out there. If you have narrow feet, New Balance is a better fit - can't say I've worn their spikes though, only flats.

Nikes are ok, but don't last me long. They fall apart within a year.

I've had 2 pairs of Mizuno spikes and loved them both. Fit like a glove, great support in the heel. The Olympic Champ and American Record Holder in the high jump once told me he wouldn't put anything else on his feet except Mizuno, despite having better endorsement offers from other shoe companies.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

stormvault
PV Fan

Unread postby stormvault » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:51 am

If you are looking for spikes. Try Dick Pond Athletics http://www.dickpondathletics.com

Or

Eastbay http://www.eastbay.com

I haven't really used DPA, but eastbay usually has all there shoes online and you can find some real steals.

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:38 am

Actually, those are the two people I've been in contact with, and Dickpond was the one to tell me about the Mizuno factories going under. Thanks though!

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

spikes

Unread postby GeorgeN » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:05 pm

I saw a 16 year old clear 14 feet in bare feet in 1977.
Does that answer your question?
If you don't have the ability, and you don't have the desire...............

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:28 pm

Does anyone know about how Reebok Spikes run size wise? (big, small etc)? Im in need of a new pair and cant get to a track store
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:27 pm

I would like to know why the Reebok PV shoes that came out last year are so cheap? also what better for Jumping the Nike PV or PV/TJ....whats the difference (it would be nice to hear from somebody that has both pairs)
Follow me on Twitter @PVSeaman
www.takogrip.com - The ONLY pole vault grip tape.
Knoxville, TN

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:48 pm

Nike PV are light as crap, but fall apart pretty fast. I am yet to hear someone using them on a consistent basis and the velcro not failing a few weeks later.
Nike PV/TJ are a bit heavier, have a little more toe/heel lift (whichever way you wanna look at it) and last alot longer. Also are a bit thicker in the toe.

I originally used the TJ/PV then switched to the red and white LJ's. MY shins started killing me in those so I went back to TJ/PV. Last year I tried the PV's and I had some serious hip issues arrise a few weeks later, so went back to the TJ/PV again, and the problems went away.

I like the TJ/PV, long story short.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:18 pm

I will back most of what SlickVT said about the PVL and TJ/PV. But, I have worn the PVL's for two seasons now and have yet to have anything fail on them. The velcro cracked a little like the 2nd or 3rd week I got them, but still works just fine.

I like the fact that there is less Heel/toe raise in the PVL's. It feels more natural running position than the TJ/PVs.

Just my 2 cents. I wore the TJ/PV's in high school and my freshman year in college and the PVLs soph and junior years in college. If you like one, chances are, you will like the other. If I remember right, the PVL's run a half size larger than the TJ/PV's (i ordered a 10.5 PVL to replace my 10.5 TJ/PV's that were too small for my feet).

Sebes
PV Whiz

Shoes

Unread postby Sebes » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:34 am

5 Reasons to buy Mizuno:

1. Mizunos are made in Japan, so you're getting some quality shoes.
2. Mizunos fit your foot extremely well and are super comfy.
3. Durabilty: they won't fall apart on you.
4. Style: they're going to look sweet!
5. Nobody has them...you can make a "PV fashion" statement.

Ban Zai,

Sebes

SKOT
PV Pro

Re: Shoes

Unread postby SKOT » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:57 am

Sebes wrote:2. Mizunos fit your foot extremely well and are super comfy.

Mizunos might fit your foot extremely well, but they won't fit every one's feet extremely well. i have VERY narrow heals and the heal only the mizuno LJ was very wide and made my heal slip. I hate blanket statements like that made with shoes.

I used to work at a soccer store. There was a reason we had 15+ different shoes over $90. We needed to have the correct shoe for everyone. The same goes for track spikes. If you ever have the opportunity to walk into a place like Dick Pond Athletics, its amazing!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”