Is pole vaulting one of the hardest sports? You decide!

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

wannaflyhigh20
PV Wannabe

Unread postby wannaflyhigh20 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:08 pm

I agree that vaulting should be the hardest. It's the only thing you have to do in which you switch lengths and weights of the object you use to achieve a goal. I mean a batter doesn't have to decide if he needs to use a 'specific' weighted bat to position the ball between the fielders. I can't think of any other event that you change your impliment...other than golf!

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:59 am

Great! I could vault 15 and hit a 90 mph fastball (to all fields). That makes me a great athlete! Woohoo. Hey, why didn't I ever get paid?

BTW a 90 mph fastball in HS is more common than a 15 foot vaulter. In Washington State I think there was only 2 or 3 over 15. There's got to be a half dozen who can throw 90.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:27 pm

jumpbackin wrote:BTW a 90 mph fastball in HS is more common than a 15 foot vaulter. In Washington State I think there was only 2 or 3 over 15. There's got to be a half dozen who can throw 90.

Hey, we had 6 at 15' or higher last year, and that is a DOWN year. That is the lowest number of 15'+ vaulters we've had in WA in at least the past 10 years.

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:22 pm

Every year here in indiana at the state meet around 10 guys jump 15+ at the meet...
Coach Bob Phillips

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:38 pm

There's plenty of kids throwing 90 too.

Biggie1110
PV Fan

Unread postby Biggie1110 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:44 pm

According to a report done by cnn a couple years ago they said that Pole vaulting 15 feet is the second hardest thing to do in all of sports. First was driving an indy car at 200 mph. I would disagree, but hey whatever. I can imagine though that jumping 6m would without a doubt be the hardest thing to do in all of sports.
Indiana has the best vaulters!!!

AzNJJ
PV Beginner

Unread postby AzNJJ » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:43 pm

I read somewhere that boxing was considered the toughest sports.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:11 pm

That ESPN article that everyone is talking about was posted in USA Today a few years back. And yes, it did say that vaulting 15' was the 3rd hardest thing to do, however, I think they were talking about women and 15'. If the article was read closely anytime they were talking about a guy they mention Bubka going 20', and some of the other higher heights.

Is pole vaulting tough, yeah, I would agree with that. The toughest, I don't think so. I think it's different. It takes a different type of athlete to run a marathon than it does to vault 15'. And it takes an entirely different type of athlete to be a good football player.

But I think it is a mighty hard argument to say that it is the toughest, when many track and field enthusists insist that the discus is just as technical of an event.

not to say I don't love to pv... but you get the idea...

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:41 pm

It takes a different type of athlete to run a marathon than it does to vault 15'. And it takes an entirely different type of athlete to be a good football player.

I think it's all relative. I have two vaulters that jumped 12+ as 8th graders and are leading our Jr. High FB team in rushing yards and touchdowns this year. I saw a guy catch a fly with chopsticks one time. That should be ranked.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:08 pm

AVC Coach wrote:
saw a guy catch a fly with chopsticks one time. That should be ranked.

that is awesome.

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

most difficult sport

Unread postby GeorgeN » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:07 pm

The most difficult sport is the one for which you have no talent
If you don't have the ability, and you don't have the desire...............

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:43 am

I vote Boxing/UFC to be the hardest, Competitive swimming is up there, then PV

Return to “Pole Vault - General”