Looking for good computer engineering college

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:30 pm

ok im a senior and im looking for a good computer engineering college but i really want to pole vault in college. distance from home isnt a problem for me however i live in florida and if i go out of state i will most likely need a scholarship, not necessarily in pole vaulting, i can prob get academic too. my SAT scores are math:660 reading:650 writing:640 my GPA is about a 3.5 my PR in pole vault is 12' but i figured a few things out over the summer and should have no prob jumping 13-14' by the end of the season. if you have any advice, know of any colleges, or could possibly get me in or recommend me to a college please help me out.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:23 pm

University of Missouri Rolla has an excellent computer engineering program (as well as just about every other engineering degree). Its a small school with about 5,000 students including graduate students. We do have a big vault squad with about 12 vaulters, but every team needs good depth.

www.umr.edu

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:02 pm

theczar wrote:We do have a big vault squad with about 12 vaulters, but every team needs good depth.

www.umr.edu

about how high would you have to jump in order to compete there

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:09 pm

robillard wrote:
theczar wrote:We do have a big vault squad with about 12 vaulters, but every team needs good depth.

www.umr.edu

about how high would you have to jump in order to compete there

to compete? I'm not sure...i'm a freshman here and am yet to jump in cometition. We have 3-4 guys over 15 i think, and the rest are in the 14s. You can probably join as a walk-on and just practice with us for a while, but later you may get to compete...but i cant promise anything i'm not the coach :D

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:14 pm

Bangalore University. You'd be right at the epicenter for a software engineering job also.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:08 pm

achtungpv wrote:Bangalore University. You'd be right at the epicenter for a software engineering job also.

He did say that distance is not a problem...countries are technically states, so that works too.

What about schools like Cal Poly and Caltech? I'm not too sure of their vaulting programs, but they are definitely computer engineering heavy.
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:46 pm

MIT is a great engineering school. The don't seem so have great vaulters now, but Nate Ball (multiple NCAA D3 All-American) did extremely well there and track is a huge sport in that area so it is a place you can excell if you work hard.
What did you do to get better today?

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:15 pm

ec1vaulter wrote:MIT is a great engineering school. The don't seem so have great vaulters now, but Nate Ball (multiple NCAA D3 All-American) did extremely well there and track is a huge sport in that area so it is a place you can excell if you work hard.

i dont think i could get into MIT lol. and if i could i dont think i would go, they have the highest suicide rating of any college in the US.

bvpv07
PV Great

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:27 pm

It all depends on how well you can handle the stress...it has the potential of being a good training tool for competition ;)
Fly me to the moon

bvpv07
PV Great

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:54 pm

robillard, here's the most useful thing that I've ever learned from my high school counselor:
http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp

Search for computer engineering major (and whatever else you're interested in) and put in some of the other things that you are looking for in a school to narrow down the search (one of them includes track and field teams and divisions). Pick a couple, and then come back here and ask people what they think about them. :yes:

It's better than giving you advice to go to a school in India :P
Fly me to the moon

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:37 pm

bvpv07 wrote:What about schools like Cal Poly and Caltech? I'm not too sure of their vaulting programs, but they are definitely computer engineering heavy.

Cal Poly is bringing in a ton of vaulters this year. You'd have to talk to the coach about what his standards are for walking on (Jack Hoyt, he is an excellent coach).

Caltech has vaulters on their roster, including a kid from WA that I have never heard of, and I have done HS rankings there for the past 6 years *shrug* I've never heard of any of their vaulters, but the fact that they list them on the roster is a good sign.

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:20 pm

achtungpv wrote:Bangalore University. You'd be right at the epicenter for a software engineering job also.

ok ya id like to keep it in the country but other than that im not picky. oh and now all guy colleges, there hes to be guys a girls preferably at least 40% girls

Return to “Pole Vault - College”