Video Critique

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Video Critique

Unread postby Vault Chick » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:41 am

Hey Everybody! I know there is a lot of stuff wrong, I just want to hear about what people have to say about this video of me trying to kick 12'.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m256 ... h=imgAnch1
Last edited by Vault Chick on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:19 am

well it was a little hard to tell with that video, but i think if there was one thing id change it would be to not block out your bottom arm. i fiiiiiiinally just started to really fix that two practices ago. so i KNOW how hard of a habit it is to break. i kept worrying about where to place my arms when i took off becuase i would block all the way from when i plant the pole through the rest of the vault, but then i realized that if i just came into the takeoff, leading with my chest, then everything else would fall into place. and its starting to. i know its better because i feel that its different. i havent been able to do this everytime, but i took off leading with my chest two times the first day, and then a few more the second day, so if you take off with your arms in the correct position, you wont tend to continue blocking the rest of the vault. if you fix your blocking problem which i think is the thing causing you to spin around the pole, youll be able to complete the vault more and go higher yay. so i know this sounds wierd but at least you wont forget it easy, if you trust your chest to lead you then you wont block at the takeoff! :P
Last edited by SweetPVJumps on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:27 am

I think your bottom arm looks great. Your take off is setting you up for a weak swing though. You're leaning back a little and letting your hips go right off the ground and there's no wip with your trail leg (which could stay straighter longer).

When you're almost inverted, you pull with your top hand but don't keep your hips moving up. This will cause a few things: 1. Your hips drop too early 2. Your legs split to try to stay inverted 3. You spin on the pole 4. Your back bends like a high jumper.

All of these can be fixed quickly, but the first concern is that take off.

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:34 am

I'm not sure if you "row" as part of your vault; it's just a way to think about part of the motion after takeoff, so if you don't dont worry about it.

I feel like you are not completing the takeoff with your arms or your legs. It looks rushed. After you jump off the ground, you really want to try to keep pushing your trail leg back as far as possible. At the same time, you want to try and push up with your arms, resisting the pole. After you have gotten your trail leg back as far as possible, pushing up against pole with the arms the whole time, you go on with the rest of the vault.

Here's where the rowing comes in. A lot of people don't like the word because it is an action very different from rowing a boat. It is the only word I've learned for this action so I'm going to use it. It is basically pushing the pole in a way that makes your hands end up at your hips. It's takes place while getting inverted. I think that this happens naturally for a lot of people; it looks like you are already doing this. However, I think that you are trying to do this too early, before you have really gotten the pole moving. This makes the pole movement stop, making it feel like you are kinda stalling out. Finishing the takeoff before you do this will help.

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:28 pm

if you fix your blocking problem which i think is the thing causing you to spin around the pole, youll be able to complete the vault more and go higher

Right on. I used to block out, too. I finally got over it this year and added two and a half feet to my jump. Yes, you want to apply some pressure with that bottom arm, but I would definitely focus on getting your top arm as hgih as possible at takeoff and then pushing your other arm UP not OUT. Remember...you are not trying to bend the pole, the pole bends as a result of your speed and body mass, if you do things correctly.

AzNJJ
PV Beginner

Unread postby AzNJJ » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:06 am

shortening your grip may also help to stop blocking out because it forces you to push both your arms upward rather than outwards.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”