bending the bottom arm

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:57 am

fx wrote:
If your top hand is at 15' and your bottom hand at 13', where is it most efficient to apply force???? From the top hand, of course.

actually, I think I read this on pvei, wouldn't it be more effective to apply the force through the bottom arm because the grip is lower here, so the effective length of the pole is shorter? I know a bunch of people are probably going to kill me about this but I am NOT talking about a stiff, straight out bottom arm. I believe the article I read said that it is beneficial to tighten the bottom hand grip or something? Don't quite remember, but it made sense to me when I read it.

This post on PVEI was a great one however your talking about the wrong segment of the vault.

This is accomplished towards the end of the vault as you reach inversion and begin your turn. You should switch your focus from the top arm to the bottom arm because it is a lower lever. The pull on top should be with the bottom arm not the top arm.

Most vaulters over pull with the top arm and get away from the pole way to soon.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Re: bending the bottom arm

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:10 pm

SweetPVJumps wrote:ok so when i vault, i keep my bottom arm too straight for too long, so when i try to get upside down next to the pole, i basically cant because of that. and the times that i do end up bending my arm its too the side, causing my pole to bend to the side.my coach explains to me well what needs to be done, but i just cant get the feel for it. my arms either too straight or collapsed too much. im pretty sure i cant find that happy medium of how much to bend my arm becauase of my plant. i plant the pole with my arms in front of me a little, which im finding very hard to fix. so any tips or thoughts on how to plant the pole with my arms more above me and then how to deal with my bottom arm? thanks
o yeah and one more thing. i thought that maybe i was having trouble planting the pole because when i lower the pole, i keep my top hand right on my hip and lower my bottom arm down, and then quickly plant the pole by moving both arms up. i experimented by trying to lower the pole by bringing by top hand slightly behind me so that it would be in a better position to be planted above my head instead of in front of it. was this a bad idea or what should i actually do while im lowering the pole to put my hands in a better position before i takeoff?

First off what length of a pole are you on. If it is under 16 feet or so if you have a straight bottom arm you will be planting in front of you if your performing a free takeoff. The only way you can have a straight tall plant is to plant under.

Try it people. Stand with your pole in a planted position and straighten both arms out. Do this so that your Top Arm bicep is on your ear. With your bottom arm perfectly straight does the pole tip hit the ground? If yes how big of a pole are you on? If yes how wide is your grip?

If no this is the problem with a straight bottom arm and using that model and also trying to use a free takeoff. YOU CAN"T!!!!! YOu must plant under hence why it is called pressure or power vaulting.

Do I recommend this heck no, but no one is answering this kids question. This is the model they have choosen rather we like it or not. this is what his coach teaches.

Secondly, to answer your question. It is not a bad thing the pole bend moves to the side. That will not harm your jump. it might freak you out a bit but is not a bad thing.

Thirdly, with this style of vault you should break your arm roughly as your hips move above your shoulders as you tuck into a ball. You will feel the pole applying a tremendous amount of force on your hands as it uncoils. You should keep the bottom arm straight till this moment. Once you feel it break the bottom arm fire the hips up as you fire your shoulders down for what ever bit of energy you can get.

You will simply shoot your hips out make a turn and clear whatever you can. You will not reach inversion or near inversion unless you are very very very strong.

This is a timing thing you must practice it. For a good example of this watch a video on Jeff Hartwig or Derek Miles. They are both very strong men and can reach almost inversion, you will not so don't try for it. Also your timing will be sooner then theirs simply for the fact they are on 17+ foot poles.

10.06.2000 Oberhaugstett: 400 - Hingst, Carolin - HiRes this is on www.stabhochsprung.com

This is an even better one to watch cause he leaves it locked the entire time.

01.09.2001 Zweibrücken: 370 - Liesch, Benjamin - HiRes SloMo

As you watch the video watch it in slomo. You will notice there is time when as his hips catch up to his shoulders and he tucks that the pole will flick or uncoil very quickly. It is at that moment you should break the arm and turn quickly. as it stands he doesn't in the video and goes over backwards. The height of this jump is about 12'3" for the looks of it he is only roughly a 14'0 to 15'+ pole to clear 12'3". SAD but thats the model for young vaulters.

Scroll down and check out this video. This more simulates what your jump will look like. High school boys should watch elite woment jump. Unless your an elite high school boy. The ladies more simulate your jumping then the elite men.

Goog luck man with your model it is a tough one to master. Best thing to do is master your plant and get on bigger sticks. Sorry you won't have a flyaway so don't worry about it. Just make sure your safely getting into the pits. Saftey first, KEEP THOSE HANDS MOVING!!!!

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Pole Plant

Unread postby Vault Chick » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:34 am

I do the EXACT same thing as you!! I either totally block out, and can't get inverted, or I totally collapse in my bottom arm. My coach tells me I have to find the in between! So, what he tells me to do is right when I strike the box, brace out the plant, but then let the elbow go immediately after doing this.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”