Can Tommy get the college record?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:57 am

I thnk before we start calling whether or not he can do it, I think we should look at how long it took Bubka to progress..

In 1983 he jumped 5.70... took til 1985 to jump 6.00. After that, it took him another 6 years to go from 6.00 to 6.10 (19'8" to 20')

Now, Bubka was 20 years old when he jumped 5.70, Tommy had cleared 5.75 I think when he was 19, not to say that any success Bubka had Tommy will have, but I think it would be a little 'limiting of his abilities' to say that there is no way that he can do it ever.

Kind of a cool little link..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Bub ... ing_career

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:07 pm

Lax PV wrote:I thnk before we start calling whether or not he can do it, I think we should look at how long it took Bubka to progress..

In 1983 he jumped 5.70... took til 1985 to jump 6.00. After that, it took him another 6 years to go from 6.00 to 6.10 (19'8" to 20')

Now, Bubka was 20 years old when he jumped 5.70, Tommy had cleared 5.75 I think when he was 19, not to say that any success Bubka had Tommy will have, but I think it would be a little 'limiting of his abilities' to say that there is no way that he can do it ever.

Kind of a cool little link..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Bub ... ing_career

You fail to mention that in 1984 Bubka broke the indoor world record 3 times, and the outdoor record 4 times... Finishing 1984 with 5.94 (When he was 21 years old!)... So there was a gradual increase in his marks over the two years prior to his 1st 6.00m jump... Skipper jumped 5.70+ twice(?) this year, his highest jump of the year being 5.79(at 21 years old) which is only 4cm above his previous PR of 5.75m, set two years earlier... Bubka went from 5.70 to 6.00 in two years, and skipper went from 5.75 to 5.79 in two years... So once again... Let's not compare Skipper to Bubka... Not saying he cant be great, but lets wait for it to happen... :yes:
4.75... Write THAT down...

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:31 pm

well right--and some of that info is news to me--past the research i looked into. However, also realize that tommy tore is miniscus and still jumped 5.65ish the years in between 5.70 and 5.79

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:59 pm

Also realize that Bubka struggled with injury his whole career too... i.e. his heel injury which was the reason for his retirement from the sport... ;)
4.75... Write THAT down...

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:03 am

pole bender wrote:

I dont mean today , but it COULD happen soon. (bubka wasnt the man over night.)

pretty sure bubka came flyin' outta the womb, b**** slapped his doctor and said, "i'm the man, where's my pole?"
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:51 am

pole bender wrote:
vault3rb0y wrote:
pole bender wrote:bam! 6m soon. he will be there with the top guys. get all hyped. 6m is there for him. POW! we have an american bubka...
Haha, you are the biggest vault fan i know of, its awesome :-).

your the only one im sure, but thanks. TS 6m in 2006!

Europe is a tough place to jump. Whole different game. Tommy is crazy and unpredictable though. Can't imagine the burden of all the pressure that guy carries around on his back. I wish him the best. NCAA record next year?........next year is still a long way off and PV is not for fortune tellers.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”