17' anyone?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:47 pm

SweetPVJumps wrote:way to refer yourself in the third person ;)
i think its hard to predict who will go what height next year unless you really know the vaulter and what they do at practice. so im not gonna try to predict. but the way i sort of interpret vaulting for the most part is get the technique down good until you can try to do it good on a stiffer or longer pole, and once you can be technically good on that larger pole, vault well on an even bigger pole.
there seems to be two types of vaulters. ones that get on big poles and onces that are stuck on small poles but clear the top of the pole by a lot. the best vaulters probably do both-get on big poles and clear the top by a lot-and thats why they go highest...generally. isnt spencer mccorkel on small poles, like less that 15 feet, but he has a ridiculous pushoff? anyway, go ahead people, prove me wrong

well people dont know who i am so i didnt wanna confuse anyone.. the only problem with going to a longer pole is if your going to get in the pit not really the technical part so much.... and ever good vaulter in high school except spencer is on 4.90 or 5.00m poles spencer is just on a pole 60 pounds over his weight
pain is only temporary victory is forever

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:56 pm

getting into the pit is part of the technique i mean. people shouldnt move up a pole if their form isnt sound enough to get them into the pit using that bigger pole
just curious, why is it that spencers on shorter poles waaaaaaaaaay above his wieght instead of longer poles a little bit closer to his weight?

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:47 pm

because spencer isnt as tall as some of us, and the higher sailpiece makes it more difficult for a shorter person to get in, for example spencer who is about 5'8'' has a lower takeoff angle than most other 17'ers who are 6 foot or taller
Coach Bob Phillips

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:19 pm

i see, makes sense

princess
PV Wannabe

Unread postby princess » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:52 pm

hallvaulter wrote:because spencer isnt as tall as some of us, and the higher sailpiece makes it more difficult for a shorter person to get in, for example spencer who is about 5'8'' has a lower takeoff angle than most other 17'ers who are 6 foot or taller

Hey isn't scott roth about the same height as spencer
"You don't make bars by looking good"

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:46 pm

hes 5 10

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:28 pm

spencer doesnt jump off the ground to get over a sail piece

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:20 pm

SweetPVJumps wrote:hes 5 10
close. This is still under discussion, haha. Im sure hes sooo happy to have people talking about his hieght, but im 5'9 and standing up next to him i am 2 inches taller than he is, but when we start jumping, he looks like he is 5'10 because he has excellent running form.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:23 pm

princess wrote:
hallvaulter wrote:because spencer isnt as tall as some of us, and the higher sailpiece makes it more difficult for a shorter person to get in, for example spencer who is about 5'8'' has a lower takeoff angle than most other 17'ers who are 6 foot or taller

Ugh, the thing with scott roth.... Hes spencers hieght, but he hauls a** down the runway. Thats how he can tuck and shoot and still get over 17'4. Hes the fastest/shortest vaulter over 17 i think ive ever seen. And he jumps on much bigger sticks, they are just softer. Spencer could jump on a 15'6 15'9 pole right now, it would just need to be a lot softer than the ones hes using, and wouldnt throw him nearly as much. But then there are specific problems that every vaulter has, and without hearing testimonies from spencer or scott, its hard to see why they do exactly WHAT they do. Just gotta watch them as the years go on... and enjoy the show!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:32 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:
princess wrote:

Ugh, the thing with scott roth.... Hes spencers hieght, but he hauls a** down the runway. Thats how he can tuck and shoot and still get over 17'4. Hes the fastest/shortest vaulter over 17 i think ive ever seen. And he jumps on much bigger sticks, they are just softer. Spencer could jump on a 15'6 15'9 pole right now, it would just need to be a lot softer than the ones hes using, and wouldnt throw him nearly as much. But then there are specific problems that every vaulter has, and without hearing testimonies from spencer or scott, its hard to see why they do exactly WHAT they do. Just gotta watch them as the years go on... and enjoy the show!

Do you ever have a clue about what you are talking about?

hes gone to 15 foot poles and didnt get in and they were softer so like usual ur wrong

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:40 pm

[quote="vault3rb0y"][quote="SweetPVJumps"]hes 5 10[/quote]close. This is still under discussion, haha. Im sure hes sooo happy to have people talking about his hieght, but im 5'9 and standing up next to him i am 2 inches taller than he is, but when we start jumping, he looks like he is 5'10 because he has excellent running form.[/quote]

actually im pretty dang sure hes 5 10, maybe 1/2 shorter but thats about it

pole bender
PV Nerd

Unread postby pole bender » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:10 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:
princess wrote:

how tall was joe dial? less than 6' for sure.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”