Sliding hand

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon May 22, 2006 10:17 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:and all this time my very knowledgable vault coach hasnt remembered to have me move my grip closer. Now that i think about it, all the other guys up in the 14's and 15's get their grip by measuring from top grip the elbow, and i go all the way to my armpit. It will take a little getting used to but i bet this will help my getting inverted a ton!! thanks a lot guys, i think this is the first big thing ive learned on here, is there anything special to remember when i get my grip closer together, like anything to be cautious about before i start jumping? thanks

agapit
PV Follower

Re: sliding hand

Unread postby agapit » Wed May 24, 2006 10:22 am

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:Likewise if you moved your hands closer together than shoulder width the distance would also be greater than at shoulders width. So even on a pole you cannot be as tall off the ground if your hands are wider or narrower than shoulder width.
Simple physics!

I would mention that if your grip is narrower than shoulder width your shoulders can extend up to your ears raising your hands higher. :) I knew a Chinese vaulter in the late 80s, Lian Su Yu Gin (or something), he jumped 5.60. His grip width was about 12â€Â
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

sliding grip

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 24, 2006 12:12 pm

Roman, Dude! I hope to see you at NCAA Regionals. The men jump Fri at 3 and the women on Sat at 3. I am looking forward to spending some time with you, Alan and Christie on the 30th..

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:20 pm

Lady Vol is right on. Your athlete is placing too much emphasis on the bottom hand and thus is driving the force more on a horizontal plane rather than an upward plane. Here's something to try that we have had a lot of success with. click on http://www.elitepolevaulttools.com/Page ... ingtip.htm.
Start with a very light slide box and a light pole (maybe a 13'110-120). Have your athlete do a three step plant drill into the slidebox. If the hands are not tall and the emphasis is on pushing the lower hand forward, the lower hand will just slide down the pole. Your ahlete will quickly learn to emphasize the top arm and push up on the pole with the bottom hand. Gradually take your athlete back to about three lefts and continue to do the same thing. If he/she gets it, you can even do this drill with a real vault. Just don't have your athlete turn up.
Anthony Curran has another drill that he does with a 10' piece of PVC. It gets at the same problem. I'll put up a clip on the same link in the next few weeks.
Let me know how it works.
LPVG

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: sliding hand

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:03 pm

[quote="agapit"]
I would mention that if your grip is narrower than shoulder width your shoulders can extend up to your ears raising your hands higher. :) I knew a Chinese vaulter in the late 80s, Lian Su Yu Gin (or something), he jumped 5.60. His grip width was about 12â€Â
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Pit Rat 1
PV Newbie

Unread postby Pit Rat 1 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:43 pm

double stick athletic tape :idea:

i think you can get it out of mf athletic for 12 bucks.

AzNJJ
PV Beginner

Unread postby AzNJJ » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:30 pm

I used to have a wide grip, but as soon as I shortened it, I had a better pole drop and I physically cannot lock out my bottom arm which allowed me to break it in and get closer to an invert position.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”