Lefty or Righty???

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Sebes
PV Whiz

Lefty or Righty???

Unread postby Sebes » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:26 pm

Okay, I've got a kid who's very athletic, and with good coaching could be a hell of a pole vaulter. BUT, I don't know if he's a lefty or a righty! He would arm wrestle or throw a ball with his right hand, but would kick a soccer ball with his left foot. I told him that I'd teach him as a righty, but he was uncomfortable with that notion. He said he long jumps off his right, but so does Gio Lanaro, who jumps off his left when he vaults.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:36 pm

When I am trying to figure it out with kids, a lot of times I will take a pole and hold it pretty high in the air, then tell them to run and jump and try to touch it. More often than not, they will jump with the foot they are dominant on.

Don't tell them why you are doing it, just tell them to try and jump as high as they can.

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:44 pm

99% of the time if they kick with their left, they are left handed pole vaulters.

Barto

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:40 pm

I have had coaches have us do a layup......just like jumping as becca said....the kid will do what feels natural when jumping.
Man Up and Jump

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:09 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:When I am trying to figure it out with kids, a lot of times I will take a pole and hold it pretty high in the air, then tell them to run and jump and try to touch it. More often than not, they will jump with the foot they are dominant on.

Don't tell them why you are doing it, just tell them to try and jump as high as they can.

i would probably jump off of two feet doing that drill but i jump weird and cant even get rim.

but back to the origional question...left handed poles are so expensive, just teach him righty...or he could be a "switch vaulter" you know, if the crosswind is from the right, vault lefty, if crosswind from the left, vault righty.

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:49 pm

You could also go to a slippery surface, have him put on socks and tell him to slide. Whichever foot is forward is usually dominant.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:53 pm

This topic came up about a month or so ago. If I'm not mistaken there was some pretty good opinions on teaching a new vaulter either righty or lefty. Unfortunately I don't know how to do the search deal to find it. MaybeBecca can direct you to that thread. Later.......Mike

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:15 pm

my coach just found out yesterday that i'm a lefty vaulter...(first time we touched a pole)...he did one of those horror movie looks (you know, hand clapped on cheek, mouth open) pointed at me, and is like "Luke!" (another vaulter, older) "Its my worst nightmare!!" (he was standing behind me, so i'm trying to figure out what he talking about, until i turn around and see him pointing at me) :D
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”