switching poles

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

lilspike333
PV Beginner

switching poles

Unread postby lilspike333 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:15 pm

Okay, it has come to that dreaded time of changing poles because I'm over the weight limit on my "precious" pole :P The problem is my school doesn't have a 140 that is the same size as my current pole. I either have to go a foot lower or higher than my current pole. I don't which one to choose, to be honest the 14' scares me because the couple of times I tried it I never made it into the pits, but the 12' just seems like a step back from the 13' I have now. Any suggestions? THanks.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:18 pm

Make a list of the lengths and weights poles you have available, so we can offer get a better idea of what you are talking about.

lilspike333
PV Beginner

Unread postby lilspike333 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:23 pm

I'm not too sure what we have available, but I should be able to tell you soon because there is a meet tomorrow. I think we have a 12' 140, 14' 140, 13' 150, 14' 150....that's all I can recolelct for now, but I'll check the shed tomorrow for more poles. Thanks

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:25 pm

Also, posting what pole you are on now, how high you are gripping, and where you usually put your standards will help.

lilspike333
PV Beginner

Unread postby lilspike333 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:30 pm

I'm on a 13' 135 now and gripping at the very top. My standards are usually at 15" and my current pr is 10' 6". I haven't started going upside down yet, but I plan on starting very soon.

ILUVPOLEVAULT
PV Wannabe

Hello!

Unread postby ILUVPOLEVAULT » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:46 pm

omg you should not go up to a fourteen foot pole due to the fact that you are only jumping 10'6! If you are holding 13' adn jumping ten six that is 2'6 feet of like walking over the hieght already. i mean i am on a 13' 120 and i wiegh 100 and i am jumping 12'1. If i were you i would definelty go down to the twelve...perfect your form....and then start moving back up....you want to try to jump at leat less than one foot below your holding hieght to be clearing your hand grip. Work on that and once you clear 11' on a 12' pole then go up to the 13' pole and clear 12' and so on alright! good luck :yes:
You have got to love sometimes, what there only is to hate

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:58 pm

yeah, there is NO reason not to go down to the 12' pole. work on getting inverted and vaulting properly. right now, on a 13' pole jumping 10-6? you really are just sitting over the bar. even subtracting for the box and those inches above the max handhold sticker, that pole is lifting you 12' in the air. i think that 12' actually works out to be a softer pole than the one you're using, which should really help you out getting farther in the pit too, because your standards aren't even allowed under NFHS rules. Minimum is 15.5, but its a lot better to be farther.

"I haven't started going upside down yet, but I plan on starting very soon."
And where's that coming from? you should ALWAYS be trying to get inverted. Its not just a matter of, oh, I think I'll invert this time. it takes some practice! don't resign yourself to sitting over the bar because its working right now. thats a great way to get stuck in some really bad habits. focus on inversion and turning, you may drop heights a bit for awhile, but once you figure it out, you'll be flying!
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

lilspike333
PV Beginner

Unread postby lilspike333 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:09 pm

Thanks for all the help guys...
Today I got a new PR of 11' on the 13' pole, but it was bending way too far. I'm going to start practicing with the 12' 140 and see how that goes. I have been inverting in rollbacks for some time, but I have never really done it on a full jump. Today my coach said I was looking at the crossbar as I was going over it instead of putting my feet up to the top of the pole, so I'm gonna start working on that with the new pole.

I didn't know that 15.5" was the minimum according to the NFHS. I guess New Hampshire has an outdated rulebook or soemthing because every meet I've gone to the minimum was 12".

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”