Hand placement question

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ebelizard
PV Newbie

Hand placement question

Unread postby ebelizard » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:10 am

This may sound like a dumb question, but where is the highest you can hold on the top of the pole? I was told you cannot hold at the very end, because the weight of the pole would drop down 10lbs.
Goals set, Goals met

BrownPV2009
PV Wannabe

Unread postby BrownPV2009 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:42 am

The rules say that you cannot hold the pole higher tahn 6 inches from the top. Most maufacturers put a big band right around that spot to make you hold beneath that point. As far as making the pole softer, yeah it will probably feel a little softer but technically its not safe to hold so close to the open end.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:52 am

I think its a stupid rule, if the right grip is at the top of the pole, then do it you shouldnt have to get a new pole. College lets you grip at the very top
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:02 pm

there's that orange band at the top of the poles that certify the weight, and in high school you cannot hold above that.

HighVaultage
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Volunteer Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.70

Unread postby HighVaultage » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:45 pm

yea i knew you couldnt hold above that band but the other kid in DE who is my only real competition uses a UCS and his orange band is all the way at the top. My question is did he move it?? and if so is that illegal?? or did UCS used to make poles with the band at the very top
"It is not your Aptitude, but your Attitude, that leads to your Altitude"

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:50 pm

at my school we have a UCS and the band is higher...maybe only like 3 or 4 inches from the top. i jump on a rocket and it's like 4 inches from the top and i hold about 6 inches from the top on a 13'1 1/2'' pole...
between H.S. and NCAA...i think it's so stupid how they regulate...NCAA standards can be 0...but no less than 15.5 in H.S. how gay...
"Just Fly"

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:02 pm

LancerVaulter07 wrote:at my school we have a UCS and the band is higher...maybe only like 3 or 4 inches from the top. i jump on a rocket and it's like 4 inches from the top and i hold about 6 inches from the top on a 13'1 1/2'' pole...
between H.S. and NCAA...i think it's so stupid how they regulate...NCAA standards can be 0...but no less than 15.5 in H.S. how gay...

NCAA standards can only be between 45 and 80 cms, which is about 18-32 inches.

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:11 pm

on a couple of our poles, the sticker is at the top...on the pole I use the sticker is like a foot from the top so it's kindo low for where I should be holding.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:25 pm

HighVaultage wrote:yea i knew you couldnt hold above that band but the other kid in DE who is my only real competition uses a UCS and his orange band is all the way at the top. My question is did he move it?? and if so is that illegal?? or did UCS used to make poles with the band at the very top

I would think that he didn't move the sticker, you can make um' like that if you really wanted too i assume. And moving it would be illegal i'm positive :confused:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:26 pm

BrownPV2009 wrote:The rules say that you cannot hold the pole higher tahn 6 inches from the top.

Not anymore. The rules now say you need to hold below wherever the manufacturer puts the label.

Technically, old poles that did not come with weight rating labels (such as UCS Spirit) are not supposed to be used anymore. If you have an old Spirit, you can call them and supposedly they will send you a label.

There is no longer a provision in the rules that says you can add your own colored band. If I was an official, I would let it slide, but if you are at a big meet, they might be strict about it.

As far as where you can safely hold, assuming that it is the right grip for you, it is perfectly safe to grip the very top of the pole... just against the rules in high school.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:27 pm

HighVaultage wrote:yea i knew you couldnt hold above that band but the other kid in DE who is my only real competition uses a UCS and his orange band is all the way at the top. My question is did he move it?? and if so is that illegal?? or did UCS used to make poles with the band at the very top

UCS bands are pink with white numbers. He must have put his own band on which is now illegal.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

THINK ABOUT THIS VAULTERS!!!

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:35 pm

THINK ABOUT THIS VAULTERS!!!

When you make a pole the sail drifts just a bit while cooking and the pole gets trimmed sometimes more on one end than the other.
Respecting the ring will help you to vault higher, because this is the maximum the manufacturer believes the pole to be optimum.
Above this the pole will blow through or be too weak.

You will find that the ring on our pole is placed in differrent places based on this system.
We measure the distance from the center of the sail to a place on the top of the pole. This distance measured varies by the way the pole is cut , designed, or by the length. Some companies just a fix a label at a certain distance, ours is calculated.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”