Delaying Swing

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

AznPvter
PV Newbie

Delaying Swing

Unread postby AznPvter » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:42 pm

Alright, so I've been vaulting for a little over 2 years. I've had some problems with my plant but have finally fixed most them.

However, I'm now on bigger and longer poles, right off the ground I begin to swing without holding the "C" position at the plant long enough so I'm landing really shallow The last two meets I did this and was over the bar a good two feet (my opening height) but landed smack on it because I was going in so shallow.

Anyone have any tips/drills for holding my plant position a second longer? I've tried going back down a pole size but end up smashing it so bad that I go right through the crossbar. This problem may be the result of narrow grip/straight poling my coach had me do a couple weeks ago to fix my "monkey" grip of the pole.

The season is almost half over and I haven't even gotten my PR from last season back. My form and plant feel 100% better from last season, I'm faster, stronger...but have yet to see any results!

Any help would be great!

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:53 pm

Lower your grip, it worked for me

yeehahpv
PV Beginner

JUMP OUT!!!

Unread postby yeehahpv » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:20 pm

Lowering your grip will usually just stiffen the pole, make sure that you are jumping out instead of up, that is the main cause for the left leg breaking so early. That is also why you aren't penetrating. When you jump straight up, you come straight down without getting close to the bar. Plus when you start jumping out not only will you be able to penetrate you will be able to get on much bigger poles.

Good luck,

yeehahpv.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: JUMP OUT!!!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:23 pm

yeehahpv wrote:Lowering your grip will usually just stiffen the pole,

It will stiffen the pole a little, but it will improve the pole rotation a LOT which means you will get in the pit better.

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Re: Delaying Swing

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:38 pm

AznPvter wrote:Alright, so I've been vaulting for a little over 2 years. I've had some problems with my plant but have finally fixed most them.

However, I'm now on bigger and longer poles, right off the ground I begin to swing without holding the "C" position at the plant long enough so I'm landing really shallow The last two meets I did this and was over the bar a good two feet (my opening height) but landed smack on it because I was going in so shallow.

Anyone have any tips/drills for holding my plant position a second longer? I've tried going back down a pole size but end up smashing it so bad that I go right through the crossbar. This problem may be the result of narrow grip/straight poling my coach had me do a couple weeks ago to fix my "monkey" grip of the pole.

Any help would be great!

i think that every one else has the right idea that you should think about moving your grip/ trying diff. poles. the "C" position is a position that occurs naturally caused by the momentum of your run and the pole hitting the back of the box. it is not a position that you should physically attempt to hold. i have heard that tim mack says(please chime in or correct me if im wrong tim if you see this) that you should begin the swing immediately after take-off. this doesnt mean that you need to get upside down right away, it means that you start actively moving the pole with your arms and start swinging your leg down.

watch video of elite vaulters. they hit the "C" and start moving. there is no holding of the "C" position longer than is natural and they are jumping on(i am assuming) much bigger poles than you and i.

i also heard that tim said(again correct me if im wrong tim) that his 6.01 jump was his fastest, from takeoff to peak height, jump ever.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Delayed swing

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:15 pm

Brad is absolutely correct!! In fact it wasn't until Mack moved his take of back a bit and eliminated all hesitation after take off that he begain to REALLY start jumping HIGH!!!! I watched that happen!! If you are feeling like more time is needed to get vertical you are probably taking off a bit too close and not able to move to pole angle up fast enough!! Work on moving back a half shoe and measure your take off by leg seperation at take off! You should see a marked opening between your right (for right handers) knee and your take off leg. To visualize this take a step with your right foot and jump as high as you can off your left. Have someone watch your right knee and see how high it is at the top of the jump. You'l see what I mean. Then look for the same separation when you vault. Couple that with being aware of the space from your nose to the pole (Which should be considerable) at take off and you should have no trouble penetrating.

mdavis2685
PV Whiz

Unread postby mdavis2685 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:28 pm

to help back up brad...you need to look at the pole vault from a scientific view. you need to get the initial hit in the pole as hard as possible to put the most amount of energy into the pole. people think holding the drive position will make the pole bend more, when actually you are loosing some of the energy you put into the pole. this is why the initial and early hit on the pole is so important.

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:40 pm

:yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”