New to PV- Upper body strength?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:34 pm

BethelPV wrote:I jumped 16' in high school...and could barely do 7 pull ups...lol! I do agree though, shoulders and abs are huge. I didn't start lifting until this year...and am on the biggest poles of my life...i would also say leg strength is a huge key as well. If you don't have leg strength, your run and takeoff wont be as powerful, and that is prolly 90% of the vault. If you look at Toby, his quads and hamstrings are huge. Prolly why he brings it down the runway and is on huge sticks! Just my opinion...

Zachmo

ugh. 20+ pulll ups in high school. 13 ft. :no: strength certainly isn't everything.

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:59 pm

I find that upper body strenght is very important, but it isn't always necessary. If you're really fast you won't have to muscle through to keep a good bend, your explosion will take care of that. It does help, though to have the strength to stabilize a really stiff pole. All muscle groups are important, also.

Chest/Triceps:keeping a flex in the pole (do incline bench for this)
Biceps: pulling yourself up the pole when inverted to gain more inches
Lats (back): swinging up
abs: EVERYTHING (at least it seems that way)

also, do olympic lifts such as clean, jerk, and snatch. these will promote explosion throughout your body.
The Matrix has you...

ILUVPOLEVAULT
PV Wannabe

Unread postby ILUVPOLEVAULT » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:02 pm

yah, so have them polevault then, but until then "omg they can do pull ups who cant these days" :eek:

breaker wrote:
ladyvolspvcoach wrote:If you can do 5 pullups, you can vault 15'.

My ladies do 52 pullups during their gymnastics work outs. How high should they be able to jump!! :dazed: :eek:

mathematically 156 feet :P
You have got to love sometimes, what there only is to hate

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:04 pm

ChicksnSticks wrote:How can you build up your muscles well enough to do multiple pull ups?

Have people spot you on them, giving you less help each time, until you can do them by yourself.

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:22 pm

What I did to get better at them was start out with 3 sets of however many pullups you can do in each set at an equal amount. Mine was 3 sets of 4. Then each time you go and are able to complete the set, add one more pullup to either your first or last set (whatever you're most comfortable with) and gradually even it out. From having done this at the start of this year, i've moved from 3 x 4 to 4 x 8 w/ 5lb weight added. So for me it worked
The Matrix has you...

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”