the crossbar is mean!

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:15 pm

it wasn't Terek, he's a cool guy and wouldn't pull something like that. It was one of their dork freshman that was just learning how to vault........
Last edited by ashcraftpv on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:11 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:two years ago, we had a kid come up short and came down with his feet on top of the crossbar. He bent the hell out of the crossbar, then his feet slipped of and it recoiled up and popped him in the mouth. He ended up with a cut below his bottom lip that went clean through! The trainer accidentally stuck a Q-tip all the way through it when she was cleaning it out. It was awesome!

holy cow... thats pretty gnarly.... if i ever break a crossbar, i'll prob. ask for a peice of it, just so i could make a snake catcher.

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:34 pm

Yea Terek is awesome. I have met him once at the Ypsi street vault. That was awesome that the guy I was chasing last year for the high school state record made it to the Olympics, he's a stud!! I hear he's quite the partier too...

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:45 am

BethelPV wrote:I hear he's quite the partier too...

oh yes.......
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

lilspike333
PV Beginner

Unread postby lilspike333 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:43 pm

My friend straddled the bar and it snapped in half while she was on it. She had pieces of the cross bar stuck in her legs for weeks :crying:

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:36 pm

I was on my 3rd attempt for a PR and I get over the bar bearly touching it on the way over, I stand up and look at the cross bar which is still bouncing, it hops off its pegs and lands square between my eyes :dazed:
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:24 am

i got a new one as i was coming off the top(very messy) one leg went under and one over needless to say i landed on the bar in a place i would have rather not to. i walked it off needless to say i dont think i made that height.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

maxiverson
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.85
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Unread postby maxiverson » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:19 pm

I didn't hurt myself with the crossbar. Instead, I hurt one of the referees. I missed my jump and while the bar was falling I kicked it and it went right in his face (he was there to catch my pole so he didn't pay attention to the crossbar). It cut him right over the eye, so he was lucky that it was not IN his eye! He came back the day after with some tape on the injury, and he told me that he was almost going to need stitches, I obviously apologize to him for all the pain he went through !

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:11 am

lilspike333 wrote:My friend straddled the bar and it snapped in half while she was on it. She had pieces of the cross bar stuck in her legs for weeks :crying:
:dazed: Good thing it wasnt a guy
Just you wait...

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:15 am

I was going for a PR and i barley tipped it off :mad: i fell to the pit with my legs apart watching it bounce on the standards and then the crossbar went long ways some how and landed in the space of doom. :confused: Someone called a trainer and everything
Just you wait...

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:48 am

Mecham wrote:I was going for a PR and i barley tipped it off :mad: i fell to the pit with my legs apart watching it bounce on the standards and then the crossbar went long ways some how and landed in the space of doom. :confused: Someone called a trainer and everything

Yeah, i can relate... Today i was jumping and i came down on the bar kidna weird, and it bent way down from my feet, and then shot back up between my legs... yeaaah, probably ranks among the most painful thigns iv ever experienced.. :crying: not to mention it wasnt much use tryign to vault more after that..
What have you done today to get better?

ccpvus
PV Beginner

mean cross bar..

Unread postby ccpvus » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:15 pm

In the early 80's we were still using one of the triangular metal bars (whose idea was it to make a crossbar with straight edges?). As a friend was going over the bar his forehead came down and the bar spit his eyebrow open. He had to have stitchs. The crossbar stayed up.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”