Dislocated shoulder, not fun!

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

polecat
PV Fan

Unread postby polecat » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:26 pm

Speaking as someone who had rotator cuff surgery last year, please proceed carefully with that shoulder! It may be healed, but still tender, especially when you consider what the loading the shoulders must endure during a vault.

Horse
PV Newbie

Dislocated right shoulder 3 times by the time i was 13

Unread postby Horse » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:09 pm

By the time I was 13 i had dislocated my right shoulder 3 times and fractured it once; the first two and the fracture, before the age of 7, and the last one when i was 13...i was high jumping in jr hs when i was having step problems and finally said the hell with it and took off the ground....guess what? i landed on the part of the standard that holds of the cross bar directly on my right shoulder...never need surgery, but cold weather and long runs can agitate it, but it doesn't bother me vaulting...i can pull it slightly out of socket with no pain at will (its an interesting feeling)...i believe i am one of the lucky ones...am 23 now

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:53 am

I stretched my capsule in my right shoulder when I was 19 years old. I couldn't vault after that because it would partially dislocate. It would always pop half-way out downwards. I hated it because I could just slide it back into place every time and then it would be soar for an hour. So, finally I had surgery on it and 2 years after surgery I have full range of motion. Now, I have to get back in shape. That's the hardest part.

I had an "Inferior Capsule Shift" done to my right shoulder.

AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:16 pm

Dislocated my shoulder a couple years ago playing volleyball, now it is much more loose than my other one and has started to become painful when vaulting. No time to rest it until season wraps up... in months :(

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:25 pm

I dislocated my shoulder when i feel into the box, after that it would pop out during my row phase, it got so bad that when i just rotated my shoulder it would pop out. I went to the trainer and said i need to get an MRI, it turns out my cartiledge was hardening (this was from vaulting and pitching.) They said i had 2 options, either PT and hope for the best or surgery, in which i would be out for 6 months but almost 100% succes rate. I went with PT for 3 months, just light lifting, no vaulting, and alot of stretches. Yours might not be as bad as mine, but your trainer can give u some resistance bands (which is a Godsend for PT) and it will strenghthen the muscles around your shoulder in which the chances of dislocting ur shoulder is far less. But the only downside was...no vaulting for 3 months :crying:
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:12 am

i sprained my shoulder a 3 weeks ago .. it is no fun. I could not move my are one bit :crying:

Return to “Pole Vault - College”