Plant issues need help!!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Plant issues need help!!

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:14 pm

any advice on how to get comfortable with you plant when you are running from a longer run and running alot faster. I had a disasterous night last night where i was running faster then i could plant and my plant was always late or i would slow down to hit my plant and then get rejected by my pole. This was my first time using my 6 left approach and i was blazing fast last night and i really want to be able to get a good plant with my speed so that i can clear heights. it got to the point where i wuld try and fix my plant and run situation for 2 attempts then just straight pole over the height to keep going. i have enough speed to jump on every pole in my bag and i proved that last night when even when i was under a foot and running slow at take off i took all my poles up only probublem was there was little to no plant so my swing was lost and i would always bail. anyone with any advice please post it. Thanks
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

monopoly00
PV Wannabe

Unread postby monopoly00 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:35 pm

What has worked for me is, during practice, if having trouble planting from a full run..just go from 5 lefts or 4 lefts and make sure you can plant running from the shorter distance, and then gradually scoot back until you are planting at your full run. It's all mental.

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:39 pm

yeah that was my first reaction was to go back to what works and work my way back but i think that steps or run were so off when i tried to move back that when i tried to plant in order for me to feel lik a had a chance at getting a good plant i needed to slow down or just throw it up and hope for the best

APKpolevaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby APKpolevaulter » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:02 pm

Make sure you get your arms up high and early. Make sure you are confident, its all mental as was said.

And is it possible you may be stretching causing your takeoff to be under? that is normally the case with me, and for that i either just have to get my last steps super quick, or i just move my run closer and adjust.
<--Mike. 2004 Florida AAU State Champion

*FASTER~STRONGER~HIGHER*

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:08 pm

Try doing runs with your pole on the side. So, do a 6 step pole run and jump up like a plant at the end. You can run along a tape measure and someone can get your step.

Or, if you have some pretty heavy slide boxes, try do a 6 step run before a slide box and plant. If you do this to the point where you are confident about going into the slidebox, you won't have a problem on the runway because you will have already experienced a fast, longer run with putting your pole in a box of some type and jumping up.

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:20 pm

thanks for the slide box idea i was thinking about doing that. lucky for me though i am going to be able to ask jim davis what my deal is so hopefully he will help me resolve my probublem

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”