RENO/MEET a possibility?

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
RamVault09
PV Fan

RENO/MEET a possibility?

Unread postby RamVault09 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:18 pm

There's talk that Texas Tech might not go to Reno this year because the marks will not qualify for NCAA. I wouldn't be surprised if other schools would be feeling the same way.

Since Reno has been moved back later in the month of January, it would be taking away a "qualifying opportunity" for vaulters who have regularly scheduled meets on that same weekend, as we do.

If i'm not mistaken, I think a meet that would be acknowledged by the NCAA is one that has at least 4 events.

Could it be possible that the Summit takes this option and turns Reno into a meet of only 4 events??? Ex) 60 m dash; high jump; long jump; shot put; and of course, pole vault. These are just ideas that i think would be feasable, given the location of the summit. I think vaulters would be happy to enter these types of events in the guarantee that any marks they jump in Reno would count for NCAA.

I think by doing this, the summit could attract more vaulters and which in turn would generate larger revenue ;) See, there's are positives for the Summit and not just the vaulters!

The point I'm tryign to make is I love Reno, the environment, the vaulting, and the great friendships you sharpen up on and the new ones you make. I, as well as my teamates would love to come once again, but as long as the NCAA does not recognize marks, it will always be a determining factor.

????? What are your thoughts on the idea ?????

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:32 pm

I think that if you are able to clear a height that is either a provisional or an automatic mark, then you should be able to clear it again! But I do think that the NCAA not regonizing the marks made will not count is complete stupidity.

But going to Reno should be all worth the trip, even if you do, or you don't, get a qualifying mark! So I think that I would rather go to Reno! :P
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:37 pm

back when it was at the rodeo arena, UN-R held a meet the saturday of the summit at the same facility. maybe if they held a meet that weekend, the PV could count as part of that meet even if it is at a different facility.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Reno/Meet

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:41 pm

Just make the other three events:

1. Airport Pole lugging and throwing on truck (javelin)
2. Drinking (60m dash) from one competition floor to another
3. Gambling whether or not a (shot put) can make it up the stairs

JK -- I agree

other ideas:

hurdles (over piles of poles)
high jump (got pits)
long jump (to get in elevator so you won't have to wait another 10min)

O:-)
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Re: Reno/Meet

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:52 pm

jmayesvaultmom wrote:Just make the other three events:

1. Airport Pole lugging and throwing on truck (javelin)
2. Drinking (60m dash) from one competition floor to another
3. Gambling whether or not a (shot put) can make it up the stairs

How about avoiding all the luggage at the airport (60m hurdles).
Making your way across the competition floor and talking to just about everyone that is competing (400m run).
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: RENO/MEET a possibility?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:25 pm

RamVault09 wrote:If i'm not mistaken, I think a meet that would be acknowledged by the NCAA is one that has at least 4 events.

I am pretty sure it is a lot more than 4 events. I believe it is 10 events per gender. The Boston Indoor meet has a limited number of events, and they have had trouble in recent years getting marks to count.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”