Question about work-out

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
monopoly00
PV Wannabe

Question about work-out

Unread postby monopoly00 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:15 pm

I have been lifting weights (yeah I know some of you say not to) this summer to maintain through the summer. Are squats vital to the vault? I hate doing them, and I have to go up to the school to do them. So???

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:39 pm

i believe squats are good and having strong legs should in theory help your run but make sure to do some explosive lifting as well as in cleans

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:42 pm

I dont do squats cause they hurt my knees so I do leg press instead, it works the same mucscles in your legs you just wouldent get the stablizer muscles that you get from squats.

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Re: Question about work-out

Unread postby RoySloppy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:50 pm

monopoly00 wrote:I have been lifting weights (yeah I know some of you say not to) this summer to maintain through the summer. Are squats vital to the vault? I hate doing them, and I have to go up to the school to do them. So???

i dont think anyone said not to, they might have said its not the most important thing to jump high.
VA for Life!!

monopoly00
PV Wannabe

Unread postby monopoly00 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:47 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant. How do you do the leg presses?

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:20 pm

for leg presses you need a leg press machine. You sit on a seat with a backrest and you push a plate that has weights on it with your legs. The whole thing is at an angle so you push the weights up. I use a machine though one of the ones with all the cables and stuff on it so its a little different but same idea.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”