Vaulters to look out for from NY in nationals

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:50 am

Skyin' Brian wrote:now, the usatf junior national meet outdoors is probalby the meet that is in fact a legit national championship rather than just a high calibur high school meet.

Yeah except there are more college freshmen than high schoolers at Jr Nationals. Outdoors Golden West and Adidas Outdoor Championships are great. This year they are on separate weekends which is great. :yes: Then you can win the USATF or AAU National Championships and be a national champion :confused:

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:24 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Skyin' Brian wrote:now, the usatf junior national meet outdoors is probalby the meet that is in fact a legit national championship rather than just a high calibur high school meet.

Yeah except there are more college freshmen than high schoolers at Jr Nationals. Outdoors Golden West and Adidas Outdoor Championships are great. This year they are on separate weekends which is great. :yes: Then you can win the USATF or AAU National Championships and be a national champion :confused:

oh yeah, forgot about that one

usatf junior olympics is probably a better choice then

SpankyVaults
PV Newbie

Unread postby SpankyVaults » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:17 am

just to let you know, Dan uses a 16' foot pole and grips at the band. Jumping 16' off a 16' grip isn't thaqt amazing, but he should really be jumping 17'. I jumped 15'4'' off a 15' gripping 2 hands from the band. That is how its suppose to be done.
Another example, Adam Sarafian from NJ jumped 17'4'' off a 15' pole. Now there is a real jump my friends.

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:16 pm

SpankyVaults wrote:just to let you know, Dan uses a 16' foot pole and grips at the band. Jumping 16' off a 16' grip isn't thaqt amazing, but he should really be jumping 17'. I jumped 15'4'' off a 15' gripping 2 hands from the band. That is how its suppose to be done.
Another example, Adam Sarafian from NJ jumped 17'4'' off a 15' pole. Now there is a real jump my friends.

my p.r. is 13 feet with my 13' 1" pole (before it broke), then i got 12'6 with my 12 foot pole. i barely made it to leagues, that guy should be jumpin way higher than his pole height if he made it to nationals.
heyhey

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Unread postby RoySloppy » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:18 pm

MillerTime wrote:
SpankyVaults wrote:just to let you know, Dan uses a 16' foot pole and grips at the band. Jumping 16' off a 16' grip isn't thaqt amazing, but he should really be jumping 17'. I jumped 15'4'' off a 15' gripping 2 hands from the band. That is how its suppose to be done.

my p.r. is 13 feet with my 13' 1" pole (before it broke), then i got 12'6 with my 12 foot pole. i barely made it to leagues, that guy should be jumpin way higher than his pole height if he made it to nationals.

why is there such jealousy on the board? cant we be happy for anyone who jumps higher than us? so what if he jumps at his grip. cant we not tell someone what they should do and just say good job?
VA for Life!!

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:10 pm

ok then, you all try gripping at 16' and see how well you do :idea:
What have you done today to get better?

HurlingHokie
PV Newbie

Unread postby HurlingHokie » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:44 pm

Just to give you some information about Dan. A year ago Dan was a 10' vaulter, at which point he went to a mini camp with a guy named Rick Suhr located out of Rochester NY, you may have read about him on this forum before. Seeing potential in Dan, Rick brought him in to train 3x a week with Tiffany Maskulinksi, the 13'5" Junior which was mentioned earlier in this post, Jenn O'neil, who was an 8' vaulter less than a year ago and just took second behind Tiffany at nationals with a jump of 13'1" and a few other select high school athletes from the Buffalo and Rochester areas. Dan worked very very hard and set goals for himself working day in and day out. Dan is one of the athletes who put in the hard time to make himself better. You can get more information on him and the other vaulters that train in the same facility at www.suhrsports.com

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:43 pm

you may not see this as having good technique, but it takes a certain technique to run fast and efficiently and takeoff well. it takes technique to get on big poles and just part of a vault is on the pole. lots of people can jump >15 on a 15 foot pole. now i could talk crap about how high i would jump if i gripped 16' but first i should probably worry about working my run, plant, and takeoff so that i dont keep getting spanked on by inferior athletes even though on the pole i may be much better than the average vaulter.
personally i see a 16'jump on a 16' pole for a high schooler almost more impressive than on a 15' pole. it shows more room for improvement

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:21 am

hey, if someone can grip 16', they're probably runnin' well and takin' off well... hopefully he's not on a 16' 160 or something stupid like that.. but, if he's on a real 16'er, than i'd take that over a 15' grip 17'4" anyday.... lot easier to teach a kid to swing correctly than it is to change someone's runway and take-off to get more grip.. granted, i haven't seen either's jumps.. so, i don't have enough info.. but, if you can effectively plant a big grip.. that's just as impressive as jumpin' 3' over grip

i've jumped 16'2" on a 14' pole and all i can think is that i'm a big wussy for not being on a real pole
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:23 am

i didn't write wussy.. but, when i read it, i thought it looked like i was a bigger wussy than what i was intending.. i mean, wussy sounds REALLY wussy
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:03 am

skyin' pimp wrote:i didn't write wussy.. but, when i read it, i thought it looked like i was a bigger wussy than what i was intending.. i mean, wussy sounds REALLY wussy

Word filter in action :P

Return to “Northeast Region”