help??

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

help??

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat May 15, 2004 10:34 pm

well im sure theres plenty of stuff about this on here already, but im looking for some more advice anyway.. ok, so i have my regional meet in 5 days, and i need to be jumping a bit higher, to make sure i qualify for states. of cousre id have that extra height if i was jumpign at or above my grip, and had a better rockback and top, so thats what im asking- at my meet today, one of the coaches said the reason im not jumping a ton higher is because i dunt stay rocked back long enough, i kinda flag out before im even finished rockign back, or before im in position to have the recoil of the pole shoot me UP. iv recieved several compliments about my plant and takeoff, and my swing is ok, so i know thats probably not the main problem. so i guess im asking how can i make myself more patient at the top, and get in better position? any advice will help, i need somethign to try and work on!
What have you done today to get better?

shspv12
PV Newbie

Unread postby shspv12 » Sun May 16, 2004 10:29 am

towards the end of my season i was hvaing exactly the same problem. my coach kept telling me about it but i couldnt correct it. the first time i fixed it was at the district meet and basically i feel i achieved this by trying to row through as hard as a could and tensing my whole body up. i think the point when u relax is when ur body falls.

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Sun May 16, 2004 11:15 pm

one thing i would suggest to stop flagging out at the top is trying to stay tight to that pole with ur back to the bar for as long as you can which will cause that pole to shoot you up like you want and also you probably will not flag out as much
Go BIG or Go HOME

pv19
PV Newbie

Unread postby pv19 » Mon May 17, 2004 5:21 am

Maybe it's difficult for you to stay rocked back long enough because you start rocking back too early. You are then rocked back when the pole is still bent and it doesn't shoot you up because you complete the jump without using all the energy of the pole. You have to be very strong to maintain that kind of rockback.
If that's the problem, just try to take off a little better, penetrate the pole more and just then do the rock back as good as you can.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”