tape

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Fri May 07, 2004 10:45 am

With the rule being only 2 layers of tape, the big problem lies in the quality of tape. Many brands of athletic tape will tear at the separation between the 2 layers of tape where there's only one layer. If you overlap at that point that makes 3 layers. I have never seen an official tell a vaulter to re-tape if you do that when taping from the bottom up. It's time to put an amendment in the pole vault rules about the number of layers of tape. OH JAN!

Taping a new pole tip:
I find the tape doesn't tape well to a pole fresh out of the bag. Before taping a pole fresh out of the box, rub the top of the pole down with chalk and wipe it with a clean dry cloth. The tape will stick better.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Fri May 07, 2004 12:26 pm

advath wrote:...(snip) It's time to put an amendment in the pole vault rules about the number of layers of tape. OH JAN!

Already there for USATF. I'm betting NF and NCAA follow in the future

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Sat May 08, 2004 11:48 am

I think the taping rule is like most rules . . .somebody violated common sense with enough effort enough times that a rule was born.

I've seen tape that was so old and ridged in High School meets that ripped the skin off beginners when they slipped down on the pole, and I've seen "knots" or "Twists" applied in the taping to provide a handhold the size of a golfball to grip. Everything can be taken to extremes, and if grip was the only issue all the pole manufacturers would be selling "Clip on Grip Extenders" for their poles in place of tape. Gee, I hope I didn't just invent a new product! ;) :P

With enough tape, you could create a custom grip area on the pole!
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Sat May 08, 2004 3:04 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
natdog wrote:What about the practice of taping from top to bottom? Ever have any vault officials frown on that, because they feel like it leads to development of ridges on the tape job as the tape rolls down a little?

You can't actually have the ridges on the pole, but I don't think they can do anything about it until there are ridges.

ooo :o :o my pole has ridges from the tape being worn down ...

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat May 08, 2004 11:30 pm

natdog wrote:What about the practice of taping from top to bottom? Ever have any vault officials frown on that, because they feel like it leads to development of ridges on the tape job as the tape rolls down a little?

iv seen peopel get caught and have to fix it everyt ime... my coach always makes a point to make sure we tape bottom up just for that reason.
What have you done today to get better?

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”