Crowd acknowledgement

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Crowd acknowledgement

Unread postby bjvando » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:06 pm

What permits a vaulter to acknowldege the crowd???

example- Big name vaulter, clears opening height big, and the crowd apllaudes, does that give the vaulter a permit to wave, bow, cheer...?

i've seen some vaulters, ( i wont name names) wave to the crowd, after NO HEIGHTING!!! Just because they are a big name and people are there to watch them, its time to hide the ego a little bit, and walk away, you just no heighted!!.......

if a vaulter makes a big bar, or on their third miss at a descent height, then yes wave to the fans, or at a BIG jump at a PR, or a HUGE clearance at a descent bar, go ahead and acknowledge the crowd...

im all about hootin and hollerin if you have done somethign good...... go for it, get pumped, you desreve it, but ONLY if you deserve it

sorry if i offended anyone with this long drawn out rant and rave.... somethings just get to me.... :mad:

:D :D
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:15 pm

If I was at a meet where a bunch of people came specifically to watch me, I would wave to the crowd even if I no heighted (then I would run off and cry ;) ).

I'd imagine it's kinda like that if you were an elite vaulter and people came there to see you.

I don't usually go to meets big enough where there is even anyone to wave to. I waved when I won state my senior year. That was pretty cool. We were the first girls to go, and I won by a lot, even though I only jumped 9'4", so everyone in the crowd thought I was good since they hadn't seen the vaulters from the other classifications yet. :P

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:21 pm

the only meet ive ever had to worry about that was Penn back in 2001. I got a big applause after my near make at 16'1 on my third attemp. So i waved, and then threw my helmet. :P
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:23 pm

It would be more arrogant not to wave as thanks to the crowd for their support regardless if you clear a height or not.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:25 pm

heh i wish there were crowds at my meets.. thatd be cool.. the times where people watched were freshman champs when my friend won with 12'6. and then at the first meet.. the guys meet was canceled and they had it with the girls meet too.. the crowd was really jsut my team though heh.. but it was cool. we were all goin insane cause i pred by a foot and half adn it was insane. hah ai was goin crazy and loud after 11' so everyone noticed by the time i got 12 haha. im pretty sure they were just lookin cause i was freaking out hahah
i run, therefore im buff.

RamVault09
PV Fan

Re: Crowd acknowledgement

Unread postby RamVault09 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:37 pm

bjvando wrote:What permits a vaulter to acknowldege the crowd???

i've seen some vaulters, ( i wont name names) wave to the crowd, after NO HEIGHTING!!! Just because they are a big name and people are there to watch them, its time to hide the ego a little bit, and walk away, you just no heighted!!.......

im all about hootin and hollerin if you have done somethign good...... go for it, get pumped, you desreve it, but ONLY if you deserve it

........Respect for the crowd, good sportsmanship, positive attitude, and just plain being nice! Need I go on?

After a no-height or a "poor performance", who's to say that acknowledging the crowd is inapropriate? Plus, a good performance, in the eye of the vaulter, doesn't necessarily mean a high mark.

Not close to saying i'm a "big name" vaulter, but if i correct something that i've been working on for a long time in practice (i.e: my train-wreck plant), whether I cleared a bar or not, I'd still have a positive outlook on the day. Acknowledging the crowd is a personal choice that anyone has.

Waveing at the crowd, in my opinion, doesn't have alot to do with ego!

rickkane
PV Beginner

Unread postby rickkane » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:09 pm

I am with Bj on this one, big name vaulters should act like cool custumers after the big miss, however a wave from some little groms hero might brighten his day even if the hero had no heighted. it might let him know it happens to everone and not to sweet it. After all we don't need any more vaulters turned speer chuker with his pole after he no heights at 12 feet. I almost got hit by some little ******* projectile pole at a high school meet i was worken.
all i need is a cool buzz and some tastey waves

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:20 am

A little off topic here, but along the same lines of meet etiquette, how about calling for "The Clap?" IMO, it's best if someone starts it for you, and if you're attempting a meet winning jump, pr, facing a 3rd attempt upset elimination, or something big, it's cool if you get it started for yourself. What I can't stand though, is when people call for it on their opening height, or every single jump they take in the meet. Kind of takes the dramatic effect away from it. Also can't stand the "Arkansas Clap" - you know, the one where everyone is out of sync?!? :devil:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:01 am

LOL, yea, I know what you mean... But some people just need it to jump well... they have grown too accustomed to it, I guess.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:00 pm

am I the only person who absolutely hates the clap? For others its fine, but I find it highly distracting while I'm vaulting. If you can't get fired up about jumping at a high bar and need a bunch of people clapping, maybe you shouldn't be jumping! I'm all for crowd participation, but it bugs the hell out of me to constantly hear "clap.........clap..........clap......clap.....clap...clap..clap..clap clapclapclapclap all meet long. :dazed:
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:23 pm

am I the only person who absolutely hates the clap? For others its fine, but I find it highly distracting while I'm vaulting. If you can't get fired up about jumping at a high bar and need a bunch of people clapping, maybe you shouldn't be jumping! I'm all for crowd participation, but it bugs the hell out of me to constantly hear "clap.........clap..........clap......clap.....clap...clap..clap..clap clapclapclapclap all meet long.

i agree, i over stride and get too excited during hte clap.

which leads me to another point, when is the clap necessary??? i've seen some opening height claps, which i find funny.... i guess its individual preference for when it should be done....... I thinkit should be saved for the PR's and big heights....
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:42 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:am I the only person who absolutely hates the clap? For others its fine, but I find it highly distracting while I'm vaulting. If you can't get fired up about jumping at a high bar and need a bunch of people clapping, maybe you shouldn't be jumping! I'm all for crowd participation, but it bugs the hell out of me to constantly hear "clap.........clap..........clap......clap.....clap...clap..clap..clap clapclapclapclap all meet long. :dazed:

Agreed :yes:
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”