What's your take on multi-eventing?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

How many events do you do in a track meet?

None
No votes
35%
8%
15%
27%
15%

Total votes: 26

~jj~
PV Whiz

hurdlers are the best athletes

Unread postby ~jj~ » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:45 pm

I agree.
For instance , my daughter Chelsea :rose: Johnson ran hurdles as her primary event all through HS. Hurdlers are the best athletes, and the action of running hurdles is so athletic!!!
It builds the kind of stuff you want to be a good vaulter :) .
~jj~

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:09 pm

i always tell my kids its a good simulation of their approach when they are running at those hurdles. I teach them to attack the hurdle rather than stutter or ease off their run. I find it transaltes well into their vault approach.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

~jj~
PV Whiz

ahhh yes!

Unread postby ~jj~ » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:23 pm

Lets see good vaulter hurdler combinations:
Wolfgang Nordwig 14.4 '72 Gold medalist
Bob Seagren 51.4 IM '68 gold medalist
Terry Porter 14.3 1976 Olympic PV team
Jan Johnson 14.4 1972 Bronze
Chelsea Johnson 14.3, 43.3IM
Stacey Dragulia 13.9
Others???

~jj~

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:06 pm

Alicia Warlick was the Texas HS state champ in the 100H. Jillian Swartz was recruited to Duke as a hurdler before learning to vault.

dbulick
PV Fan

Unread postby dbulick » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:24 pm

I was the complete opposite, all I did in HS was polevault. I did do the occasional LJ, or fill in on a relay if somone got hurt. Now in college I am a dec.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:57 pm

While I agree that hurdling is translatable to vaulting, there is some downside(especially for the father/coach). My son ran the 300IM and vaulted and we had some problems vaulting after running the 300 because the stride length he needed to run the hurdles and the polevault were different. After he ran the hurdles I never new if his step was going to be "on" or not. Sometimes it would shorten up and other times it would lengthen ---- enough to give me heart attack.

cordes
PV Newbie

Unread postby cordes » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:21 am

While I agree that hurdling is translatable to vaulting, there is some downside(especially for the father/coach). My son ran the 300IM and vaulted and we had some problems vaulting after running the 300 because the stride length he needed to run the hurdles and the polevault were different. After he ran the hurdles I never new if his step was going to be "on" or not. Sometimes it would shorten up and other times it would lengthen ---- enough to give me heart attack.

I believe that the best hurdle race for a vaulter is the 110m's. Mainly because of the attack and the approach to each hurdle. That being said, the 300m is still fine, for it's still a sprint, but more of a maintained quick stride. While the 110's are all out mayhem (controlled of course).

Your son's problems confuse me a bit. I understand the differences in stride length, however in the hurdles, you still must be consistent with the stride. Also, being that the hurdles require a longer stride, now may be time to refine your vault run. High knees, high posture, and a steady increse of speed. I think the vault run should be just as controlled and deliberate as a hurdle run. Try and make the two more consistent with each other, and never forget to do pole runs like crazy. I wouldn't even let him on the vault runway until he hits the same mark 3 times in a row. Work on consistency.

VerticalAssault
PV Beginner

Unread postby VerticalAssault » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:53 am

jj is all over it! If he says stand on your head and spit nickels..... do it!

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:03 pm

Peepers PV wrote:Come on Lon, that would just be evil... plus more events would make me sad :crying:! -Lori

honistly " peepers" or what ever you call your self, i think that your being a big babby and not a team player. waht is your problem. , do you no want to help you team. do you hate you "small" school peepers, do you have motavation problems?.. we are going to have to havee a serious talk about this young ladie

AS - AK style (i mean AR, LB)

Shorty220
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Shorty220 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:49 pm

my hs is kind of big i guess...we have 90 girls on our track team. I think the boys have even more. My coach puts me in 2 events for running and then i do pole vault.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”