Funniest PV moments

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:42 pm

lolol

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:45 pm

[quote="vaultguru6"][quote="Axe"]
Haha.....yea, john besmer's infamous crash. he's always had a big penoltumin sp? and this time somehow either managed to catch his shoe lace or his spike on the track just as his last left is coming past his right leg. he falls straight forward and the pole hits the back of the box and he holds on for dear life. He ends up getting a full bend, holding onto the pole while directly over the box and paralell to the ground and 3 feet off it. He keeps holding and the pole shoots him stright back 20 or 30 feet.
quote]

Lol - I met John at Reno this year and asked him about it, and that's exactly what he said. He was coming in hard, tripped and hung on, and the next thing he knew he was getting tossed down the runway. If you watch Sky Systems 5, a high school kid does the same thing - John said he hadn't seen it.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:22 pm

Several years ago Mike McGinnis, brother of Pete McGinnis the guy who does all the pole vault studies, was jumping in a meet and while the pole was in full bend he just let go of the pole and the pole bounced off of his head and went so high that it looked like a toothpick. Mike just calmly sat down on the side of the pit and then his head started bleeding. Trey Bell (South Carolina vaulter) his dad took him to the hospital for stitches. We finally found the plug later about 75 yards away.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

VaultnGus
PV Pro

Unread postby VaultnGus » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:35 pm

If any of you have ever jumped at the University of Rochester or the old Tufts University tracks then you know about the tunnels that their indoor tracks go through. Half the track is normal the othe half (parts of straighaway and a whole curve) are in tunnels surrounding enclosed basketball courts.

Anyway at the U of R the vault runway is parallel to the backstretch facing away from the tunnel. This kid from Aquinas (Brandon Doane I believe) - a newbie - decides to hold at the top of a 14'160 in his first meet. Comes bumbling and stumbling down the runway and plants but 'forgets' to jump - takes two extra steps in and bends the pole about oh say 160 degrees. He then lets go of the pole which shoots up straight toward the ceiling. That part wasn't the best part. The funniest part was watching the plug go screaming into the tunnel and then about 10 seconds later come rolling out the other side of the curve ahead of some 2 mile runners ...
"Will vault for food"

VaultnGus
PV Pro

Unread postby VaultnGus » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:36 pm

Oh yeah and in a similar vein there was a kid up at Bates back in the late 80's who did nearly the same thing and his pole got stuck in the rafters 30 feet up...
"Will vault for food"

rebelvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby rebelvaulter » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:18 pm

At Reno Last year (2003), some guy was vaulting down stairs and broke his pole but still cleared the bar. His tip flew all the way past the end of the runway and hit the wall.

MOOKA916
PV Newbie

Unread postby MOOKA916 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:29 pm

hey- mike mcginnis is my coach!!!!

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:33 pm

MOOKA916 wrote:hey- mike mcginnis is my coach!!!!

His twin brother Peter was my coach! Terrific guy and PVP member "PVPHD" :yes:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:02 pm

lonestar wrote:
MOOKA916 wrote:hey- mike mcginnis is my coach!!!!

His twin brother Peter was my coach! Terrific guy and PVP member "PVPHD" :yes:

Mike is a great guy and it is always a pleasure seeing him at meets, whether he is vaulting or his vaulters are. In fact we saw him at Clemson a few weeks ago. I wish I had had more time to talk with him, but I was bouncing back and forth between the girls and guys runways the entire time. I have only spoken to Peter once in Reno, ... I thought he was Mike. They are "Very" easy to get confused since they are identical twins. :dazed:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

MOOKA916
PV Newbie

Unread postby MOOKA916 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:52 pm

haha- yeah i've never met his brother, but i've heard of times when people have talked to him thinking he was Peter!

xtremevaulter

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:00 am

I have all to many stories that I could tell I might just write a book about them. and call it Dave's Blunders in Pole Vault Land.

ColoradoVaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby ColoradoVaulter » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:12 pm

We were teaching a high jumper how to vault one day. She had never picked up a pole before. We had her doing some Johnsons and she did a few really good ones but on her last one she let go of the pole and it unbent and hit her right between the legs. :eek: Needless to say she had a rough time walking for a few days and hasn't picked a pole up since then.
I'm from Colorado, hear me RAWR! meow!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”