Bunge placement at District sectional and state meets

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Re: Bunge placement at District sectional and state meets

Unread postby drcurran » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:18 am

Most of the time in Missouri they are 60 year olds with limited pole vault experience but have a power trip that needs to be filled.

Very harsh Hickman!
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:05 pm

I have never understood why a bungee is needed for warm-up. It seems to help some vaulters to have it, but some vaulters hate having the big rubber band up there when they warm up and find it distracting, particularly when its placed several feet below their grip or at the wrong depth. I have seen very few meets that allowed the warm up bungee in the last two years, only dual meets where the home team uses it all the time, and in those cases it slowed down the warm up and gives a certain home field advantage.

Our vaulters warm up the same way, practice and meets without a bungee. Since one never knows which meet it will be allowed, you don't want to be dependent on the extra piece of equipment, or its proper placement for your pre-jump prep.

Thumbs down on the warm up bungee... sorry.

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:23 pm

Thank you for your input - The bunge is only up for the last 30 minutes of practice - if a vaulter doesnt like the idea of a bunge they have time to warm up before it is in place -

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:35 am

1yeldud1 wrote:Thank you for your input - The bunge is only up for the last 30 minutes of practice - if a vaulter doesnt like the idea of a bunge they have time to warm up before it is in place -

So in your 45 minute warm-up (a very long time compared to many meets here in our area) the bungee is up for the last 30 minutes? At big meets our kids are sometimes lucky to get more than a handful of full runs in the whole warm up period. Even our dual meets will see as many as 15 to 20 boys and the same number of girls. Warm up time rarely exceeds 30 minutes at our duals as we end up jumping into the night anyway.

The rules allow for the meet director to decide when and how a bungee is used. It has not been used at our league, section and state meets. The one school in our league I have seen use the bungee for meet warm-up, does so because their kids spend their whole practice with multiple bungees up, so its the norm for them.

If the kids are all happy to have a bungee up there, by all means go for it.

We choose not to warm up that way because we know it won't be there for our important meets and want our kids prepared for those big meets. It's one less thing to stress over not having come crunch time and one less variable to deal with... if the championships go to using bungees, I'd have to reconsider, I suppose.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”