State Associations may make their own rules, However!

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

State Associations may make their own rules, However!

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri May 07, 2010 10:59 am

Yes state associations may make their own rules for Track and Field, however it must be done with care towards athletes, Officials and manufactuers.
Last week we had a run on 2K shots at my factory. Funny we do not make any 2K shots,never have, and other manufactuers of shots had none either!
It seemed a state association made a rule that all female junior high girls will use 2k shots this year in their state meet?
Yet there is no such thing as a 2k shot until now!
I heard of a state association who wanted to govern lengths of poles. if the pole was not the length they sell then the pole has been altered!
Boy what a task for officials this one will be. You will need a company catalog to take with you from each pole maker!
When most poles are made some are the manufactuers length when made and get longer from the addition of the pole tip!
the 14' pole of gill is 13'11" mine is 14'2" with tip then 430 metric is 14'1'
This state association without advance notice to the manufactuers wants the pole length noted on the pole information band!
Well ESSX length is embedded in the pole in the handgrip area, and without advance notice we cannot accommidate their new rule on previous poles made this year! We will, moving forward, now that we are aware of the new rule they have, will place the length on the pole! Not sure if the other manufactuers can confirm the accuracy of their pole cutting, poles may vary depending on which employee was working that day unless a jig measurement was set.
The bottom line here is the State Associations must cooperate with all, athletes, officials, and manufactuers. I say there should be a rule that requires a 1 year notice to allow manufacturers to set the policy in motion! And the need for a start date! What about all the other poles already out there?

What is so sad about this state association rule change. is the current NFHS rule that thas been in effect for years is this' rule 7 section 5 art 2"The vaulting pole shall be made of any material and any length and diameter.
If the pole can be any length then what differrance does it make what length the pole is?
And the pole rating label is for weight ratings not length of pole and is not required!
I know they are trying to stop cut poles and altered poles but this is a really big challenge and task for officials to mandate!
I open this thread for further discussion!
Bruce Caldwell

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: State Associations may make their own rules, However!

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri May 07, 2010 11:43 am

I would like to point out that we see the NFHS people regularly at the ASTM meetings. They are an intelligent and thoughtful group.

I think it's on the State level that most of the poorly thought out rules are passed.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

Bruce what state are you talking about?

Capt Caveman
PV Fan
Expertise: Coach, Masters Vaulter, Parent
Lifetime Best: 5.05
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby Capt Caveman » Fri May 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Isnt the 2K shot the new masters womens 70+ weight? I seem to remember that as a new masters weight that would take effect on 5/1.
Those who know WHY will always be victorious over those who only know HOW.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri May 07, 2010 3:14 pm

2K shot is in the USATF Rule book and believe it is for Youth and Masters - Pat Pretty - USATF Wisconsin pointed it out last time we talked --
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

bayouvaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby bayouvaulter » Fri May 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Bruce correct me if I am wrong, but when cutting the bottom of a pole, wouldn't that make it stiffer. So using the NHSF's thinking it should be safer.
So i don't get what's the states reason for not wanting to allow it.
There's No Ceiling On Effort!!

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun May 09, 2010 7:26 pm

bayouvaulter wrote:Bruce correct me if I am wrong, but when cutting the bottom of a pole, wouldn't that make it stiffer. So using the NHSF's thinking it should be safer.
So i don't get what's the states reason for not wanting to allow it.

I see a conflict in the rule one part says the vaulting pole shall not be altered and that is good, but difficult for officals to regulate!
The main rule does say the pole can be mase of any material and any length and diameter!
Cutting a pole will make it stiffer if you held the same distance from the top of the pole however if you moved up the pole you will then be holding higher above the center of the sail. Thus the pole will bend over more but rarely come back.
It ruins poles!!! I really do not recommend it. The pole is not going to perform properly period!

Bruce

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun May 09, 2010 7:32 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Bruce what state are you talking about?

Oregon was one in question however the head of the Oregon State Association was kind enough to take the time to check out our label on ESSX poles and has approved the label for use in competition in the State meet in Oregon.
There are a few others who are looking at labels.
It seems there are so many interpitations to the rules that need to be clarified!
State Associations do have the right to set their own rules!
Education and information is the tool to keep all on the same track.
forums such as Pole Vault Power are good n this way to provide info to those in need!
Thank you Becca!

Bruce Caldwell

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”