jumping in the snow

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

batvaulter
PV Fan

jumping in the snow

Unread postby batvaulter » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:24 am

i live in the mountains of north carolina and the weather is suppost to be in the low 40's in the day and the mid 20's during the the night at around 4pm and what makes things worst it is suppost to snow and the meet is a indoor meet but held outdoors. the school thats having the meet is a crazy school and will even have the meet in the rain. cuz last year befor we had to jump there was ice in the box so they had to get the long jump shovel to pick it out. have you ever and track meets where it snowed ?

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:59 am

Nope...atleast not outdoor meets... I been to plenty indoors ones when it was snowing...lol

only 40 there? lucky...it's like 25 here...without the windchill...I'm in MA...snow's on the ground...though I don't think it'll be there for long...

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

sounds like fun

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:04 am

Your poles will feel stiffer but it is really the vaulter who will be stiffer SMILE
In reality a cold pole has less natural curve to it so it is a little bit harder to initiate the bend at the plant but the pole is the same size pole.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: jumping in the snow

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:13 am

batvaulter wrote:i live in the mountains of north carolina and the weather is suppost to be in the low 40's in the day and the mid 20's during the the night at around 4pm and what makes things worst it is suppost to snow and the meet is a indoor meet but held outdoors. the school thats having the meet is a crazy school and will even have the meet in the rain. cuz last year befor we had to jump there was ice in the box so they had to get the long jump shovel to pick it out. have you ever and track meets where it snowed ?

Where I am from (Seattle), if we did not have meets in the rain, we would not have much of a track season! Luckily we do not get much lightning, so we pole vault rain or shine.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:14 am

yep, done that before.

In college, we had a meet at Springfield College in either Connecticut or Mass. (think it was Conn). It was snowing during warmup, and as the steeplechasers made laps, a thin layer of ice would form on the water of the steeplechase pit. Between jumps, 1/4 inch of snow would accumulate on the pit. Our hands were too numb to hold on, the poles felt like steel to bend, and snow kept packing onto the bottom of our spikes. After 2 guys nearly killed themselves at opening height, they finally cancelled it and we spent the rest of the morning in the sauna.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:59 pm

Done that several times. My experience is most vaulters go into those conditions expecting to be able to jump on thier big sticks and jump thier PR. Usually, so many guys NH if you just go down several poles so you can clear some bars you'll do fine, and have a enjoyable experience rather than a frustrating one.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

pistolpete6994
PV Nerd
Expertise: Once a Collegiate Vaulter- Now HS Coach

Unread postby pistolpete6994 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:32 pm

[quote="lonestar"]

In college, we had a meet at Springfield College in either Connecticut or Mass. (think it was Conn).

Springfield Mass.

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:03 pm

I pole vaulted in rain once before...at Districts...I won! woo...lol

[edit] wait...no...I got 3rd in that meet...the one with the rain was the Mid Wach League A meet, I believe...lol

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:59 pm

Pole Vaulting? Snow? No way! move to texas.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:02 pm

I've seen it happen at Hayward....we just cheer ourselves up by commenting on how there's not track facility in the world thats more beautiful in the snow.

Oh......wait.......we say that in the rain too. And on cold cloudy days, and on warm spring days, and on hot summer days.........
Damn, Hayward is just a beautiful place.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:16 pm

Ha.. i dont think you could find much worse weather than in Michigan.. Iv jumped in now, ice, sub 20 degree temperatures several times during the season. one meet duringoutfoor season it was like 10 outside, and the pit was completely covered in ice.... we had to sepnd half an hour jumpin gon it to break up all the ice and kick it off the mats, only to have it start snowing as soon as we started jumping.. :confused:
What have you done today to get better?

NovaVault
PV Wannabe

Unread postby NovaVault » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:34 am

I go to school just outside Philly, so we jump at UPenn (Franklin Field) a bunch, and I can remember on a few times when it hasn't snowed. Look at the bright side, at least you have a good excuse if you NH.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”