Mid Mark Chart

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Mid Mark Chart

Unread postby dj » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:20 am

DJ Model

RUN – PLANT – SWING

Run - dj style.. the short version of that is to keep the “left” wrist higher than the “left” elbow (Petrov style) and toe the mark with the left foot…“come out if the back” and accelerate to 85/90% by the time you reach the 6 stride mark (dj style) and get your feet down 20/20 style. Drop the pole on time … plant straight and high with an up “impulse” (long/triple jump style takeoff.. with a subtle penultimate)..

Plant/takeoff - Petrov style - reach as high as possible with the top grip hand on the last step, a hundredth of a second before the pole tip hits the back of the box.

Swing - Tully style… long and fast..

Invert - Bubba Sparks 360 degree style… inverting on the “runway” side of the pole instead of the pit side and “flagging”… he needs to show everyone that one.. it’s awesome.…

The Run – "Come out of the back – Get the feet down – Plant big….."

Usually when a jumper gets “jacked up” in competition they will come out of the back faster.. 95% of the time that “quicker” acceleration means shorter steps for the first part of the run (prior to the six step check that I use) .. which in turn will put them “out” at their check point (4 or 6) and make them reach into the takeoff without a penultimate. Ouch!

That was what Tim Mack did (and 90% of the others .. Hartwig included) in Sacramento in the 2000 trials.. I know that the “crown” and the “under” surface of that “D” area in Sacramento made the vaulters “feel” they were running faster… so almost everyone (in 2000) had moved their run back, which made them “out”, some were capable of running faster when they were “out” and blew through poles, some stretched and couldn’t “move” the pole they were on. It created a lot of inconsistencies as to how hard to run, what pole to use, what grip, etc..

If there is one benefit to my Six Step Check Mark Chart, it is to establish consistency.

In 2004 “B” and Tim kept his start in closer so that he was not affected by the crown, the surface or a faster start. Consequently his 6 step “MID” check mark was “out” where it needed to be, but not stretched, and his speed at the Check Mark was higher/faster allowing him to “get the feet down” and plant better, more aggressively and more consistently.

The way a vaulter starts and the first part of the run to the Coaches Check Mark (4 or 6) is just as important as the check mark and the last steps into takeoff….; ) first time you heard that one…. heheeheh

Actually it is more important because if you are off after the initial acceleration there is very little chance you can speed up or slow down to be on, unless you are a “Bubka” like athlete. Consequently if you speed up you will have a good chance of blowing through and if you “chop” you may slow down and/or get caught under. “what are you gonna’ do” sorry Rick and Jenn no disrespect intended. None whatsoever.. no one knows your method of communication.. nor is it our business..… ; )

Just though it might “wake’ the readers up..

What I’m saying here is very important to the final step to improving the vault and keeping the vault in America at the top in the world.

Isi is awesome but there are others out there that are just as good, they just haven’t step up and step out on that “edge” yet. The run is that edge.. Even for Isi.

So the end result of what I do with the coaches “Six Step Mark” is determined by what I do from the start to the “check mark”. I think it has been said numerous times that the vault starts with the first step.

The first thing I do is get on the track and do some pole runs without any markers. Stand, toe the mark and accelerate for 20 meters. Look for posture, pole carry and speed. I start looking at step/stride length consistency and where they hit after 4/5/6 lefts on their fastest runs. That way I will have an idea about their stride length when they are “jacked up” in competition.

I have the athlete do 4/5 of these, pretty fast, and mark each one after 5, 6 or 7 lefts depending on their vault/skill level. For example a vaulter that you want to have a 20 step approach that is already using an 18 step, you need to mark the consistency and speed of the first 12 and/or the first 14. Put a small chalk mark on the track after each accelerated (no pansies out of the back) run so you can check the consistency and the “average”.

This will give you the correct run to the “MID” (Six Stride Coaches Check Mark).

Now with that done you should put the complete run on the track. If you have more speed you might “assume” that you’re “MID” will move out. Of course that is what you hope will happen so you can start to move your grip up and jump higher. But if you were originally stretching on your other run you’re “MID” may not move out right away, you just might start to run better and cleaner with the new start.

On the other hand my vaulters that have been running correctly, say from 12 step (6 left) approach will generally move the “MID” one to two feet when we move back to a 14 step (7 left) approach. The same should happen again, if done correctly, when we move another two steps back.

For example in the fall of Earl’s sophomore year at ASU he could make 16-6 five times in a row without a miss, from a 14 step (7 left) Run.. his PR at the time was 16-8. I made a prediction that he would jump 17-6 indoors and 18 feet outdoors based on “physics”. Two more steps of speed would give him at least one more hand grip on the pole, each hand grip would give him six to eight inches in vault height… get the picture??? I won my bet and got two big steak dinners from the universities sports information director. He jumped 17-6 indoors and won the NCAA with 18-2 outdoors. So what I’m saying is if the run is moved back correctly the vaulter should gain enough speed (physics) to jump six inches to a foot higher for every two steps added onto the run. If there is not that much difference between your short and your long run, you are not making the transition correctly.

An important point here is to always check your changes on the track with pole runs…make sure you are “close” because if you “stretch” you will blow your confidence and if you are to close you will get “jacked” unless you abort. Neither are goods ways to go…..

Well maybe I have said it all now… hope everyone will move it back and start to PR this winter and spring..

Later

dj

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Unread postby yankee814 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:41 pm

I usually keep quite on the advanced forum, but after reading almost everywhere about DJ's mid-mark chart, i searched it and this was one of the top threads.

I have a few questions:

1. The "6-Stride Time," evactly what does that pertain to? The time between each stride or the total time?
2. Stride Length. Are those minimum requirements with longer strides being OK, or should those be followed to the letter?
3. What exactly does having a longer stride before the take off do for you?
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 pm

yankee814 wrote:I usually keep quite on the advanced forum, but after reading almost everywhere about DJ's mid-mark chart, i searched it and this was one of the top threads.

I have a few questions:

1. The "6-Stride Time," evactly what does that pertain to? The time between each stride or the total time?
2. Stride Length. Are those minimum requirements with longer strides being OK, or should those be followed to the letter?
3. What exactly does having a longer stride before the take off do for you?

1. Time from the 6th step (away from takeoff - for example, 40' for a 12'0 grip) to the actual takeoff step

2. No, maximum requirements with shorter strides being OK to prevent overstriding/reaching

3. Longer stride at correct frequency (6 stride time) allows you to run faster which allows you to grip higher and ultimately jump higher.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:45 pm

3. Longer stride at correct frequency (6 stride time) allows you to run faster which allows you to grip higher and ultimately jump higher.

This is true but think it could have been worded better. Longer stride with correct frequency allows you to run faster which in turn will get you on a bigger pole and you will need farther back mid.

If your going to use the chart you might as well follow it as close as possiable as far as stride lengths to hand grip ratio.

If your gripping a certeain height but your mid is farther back then you are most likely over striding which does not allow you to get your feet under you at take off to jump up.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sat May 23, 2009 6:59 am

Question from Kyle

What do the blue +9cm, +31cm and +15cm marks mean at the tops of the columns on grip, “MID” and vault height of the chart mean?

Good morning

These numbers are to show that speed, handgrip and bar height are proportionate.. Theoretically.

As you get faster and move you run back you should have the ability to move your grip up because you are running faster. 31cm (1 foot) of run = 9cm (4”) grip.. and 9cm of grip potentially produces 15cm (6”) in added bar height.

Now “throw out” that statement. It should not be a part of your practical vault sessions.

But to add to the understanding I will tell a story………..

In 1966/67 when I knew that my long jump distance was proportionate to my speed on the runway and that the start and “check mark” (that I sneakily left by the runway by using my shoe bag for and “attack” mark) was farther from the board because of the speed on my best jumps, I measured and monitored that distance so I would be accurate when I went to meets.

One year, I think 1969 in Kansas City at the NAIA Indoor championship we had jumped on Friday night on a very “short” board runway. Some athletes tried to run a short distance on the “floor” and then step up onto the boards and sprint to the takeoff. That made their runs very unpredictable. I put my “MID” on the runway and ran back and put my mark on the runway before the “step off”. I ended up winning that meet and was the 7th best qualifier.

The next night Bob Beamon jumped in an open competition (27’2” for an indoor record) on the same runway. But he was allowed to run across and “down” a portion of the track, run a few steps across the floor section, step up onto the 80 foot runway and continue to the board.

Since my mark from the previous night was still on the “side” of the elevated runway I could see where Beamon was hitting in comparison to my run (which I had a fellow jumper, Olympic triple jumper John Kraft, check for me during my jumps) the day before. I jumped close to 24 feet with a mark of 44ish.. Beamon jumped 27’ with a mark of 47ish.. ergo.. my proportionate mind created the perfect ‘triangle”, stride length + stride frequency (speed) = jump distance.

In the late 60’s I stated using a “check” mark for the vault. In 1971 I observed what i though was a “triangle” in the vault. Stride length + stride frequency = grip.

I found that one foot (31cm) of run (if the speed was correct) allowed the vaulter to grip 4 inches (9cm) higher and from Ganslings books and with the data I had collected from my brother and myself, I found that curtain grips produced curtain jump heights. 4” was = to 6” in height (9cm to 15cm.

Sorry, long story to answer your question. But hopefully everyone can gain a little more understanding of “speed” and its relationship to jump height.

dj

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Here's DJ's Six Stride Checkmark Chart for 6'6" to 16'0" ...
6StrideMark - 6-6 to 16-0.JPG
6StrideMark - 6-6 to 16-0.JPG (83.19 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Here's the rest of the chart ...
6StrideMark - 16-0 to 21-0.JPG
6StrideMark - 16-0 to 21-0.JPG (74.28 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sat May 23, 2009 6:21 pm

thank you kirk.

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 am

The following is a question i recieved by email..

dj

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, 22 May 2009 6:34 pm
Subject: Thanks for the 6 stride pole grip info

I was given your info this year by some of the vaulters at Mesa Community College in Mesa, Az. I am a vol.coach at a small high school in the Phoenix north valley. I used my basic understanding of you method to great success as my best jumper improved 3ft this year and has jumped 15ft 3in.

We also have a group of senior jumpers that I would like to start on this system. our oldest jumper is 77 and we go down to 63yrs old.

I am about to turn 65 in a month and if my body doesnt give up I would like to keep jumping. I laid off for 38yrs but started again this year. I made 10ft 6in over a bungie three weeks ago.

To the point of my e-mail, I am running a ten stride as I added 4strides to my 6stride per your chart. Question is- for adding strides to our runs do we just add the distance of the stride length to our six stride distance to determine our proper run up?

I am beginning to feel that a longer run up might be more comfortable. I used to run over 100 feet with a mid mark at 82ft but this is impossible at my age. My best grip was 14ft 8in with this approach and best height at that grip was 16ft 10in.

My best jump I feel was holding 13ft 8in and I made 16ft 4in. I feel this was my best technical vault.

Now that you know my back ground any info you might be able in impart to me would be of much value.
So far you method is the only approach that has worked in my run up this year.

Thanks so much,
Mike

good morning

i'm pretty familiar with the phoenix area, although it has been over 20 years since i coached at ASU. I still have contacts, Greg Hull and Tim O’Neil and the staff at Mesa has several familiar names...

good to here from you and sorry it has taken a while... i have a busy schedule here acting as "head coach" for the whole kingdom and in addition to working with the administration and all the coaches from coast to coast... I also work with several athletes on a daily basis in the decathlon, sprints, jumps and hurdles… I get tried just writing it..

anyway it is fun.. I have a lot of energy and love it… not the administrative, but the coaching and the athletes.

14ft 8in with this approach and best height at that grip was 16ft 10in.

My best jump I feel was holding 13ft 8in and I made 16ft 4in.

These are great jumps…

You are in my age range.. where did you go to school and compete? It’s possible we crossed paths before..

Now on the “MID”.. my “MID” is not actually a mid it is a coaches check mark.. a check point six steps from the takeoff to keep you consistent and as fast as you can be.. and gripping, on average, where you should grip based on that speed.

You have already “topped” the chart with efficiency..

Based on your grip and the jumps your passed “MID” (6 step mark) from my chart should have been in the 46’ to 49 foot range.. that is a big gap.. but since we don’t know exactly and it is very obvious your run was correct.. hopefully we can easily set up the best run for you today.

I am running a ten stride as I added 4strides to my 6stride per your chart..

From this it sounds like you are running 5 lefts… or two lefts before the “six stride check mark?, and then three to takeoff.

I made 10ft 6in over a bungie three weeks ago.

This indicates you have a “6 step check mark” of approximately 38 feet and your grip is approximately 11-6..? your 5 left, 10 step run is +plus 15/17 feet so about 53 to 55 feet.. if the “MID” is 40 feet your start may be 55 to 57 feet… all guesses.. ok..

But what I’m trying to get at is… (and I believe very strongly that a long run is the best way to go.. and is “safer’ because you don’t have to “try’ the way you do from a short run, to run faster as the grip goes up it happens with the natural acceleration of the longer run and the speed you obtain from that longer run.

So.. how to move back… run back from the “MID”.. ( 6 step mark) if you “ran back” two steps from the “MID” before thats how you got your 5 left/10 step approach..

If you run back 3 lefts from the “MID” (six step coaches mark) you get a 12 step/stride total.. 4 lefts from the “MID” gives you 7 lefts or 14 steps/strides.

Depending on your speed capabilities and your “readiness” (and I strongly suggest everything is progressive and with patients.) you would need a 18 step/stride, 9 left run to have 100+ foot run.. a 8 left/16 stride is 90+ feet, a 7 left/14 stride is 80+ and a 6 left/12 step is 60+.

If you decide to go to 6 lefts a 12 steps/strides, run back from your current 6 step “MID”. 3 lefts back.. test the run on the track. If you feel faster you may want to move your steps out a foot at the “MID” so you don’t get “jacked” the first time you try them. But don’t move the steps at the “MID” out to much at one time and always try and do the “quick feet” ( I think it has been mentioned as a 20/20 drill.) over the last six steps.

Hope this helps..

dj

ps.. be in touch.. if you are in general condition you sound like you are ready for some good jumping.

pss.. use the yahoo email.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:09 am

hey

I’m back in the states 4 more days before heading to Germany.

i've heard some of you have been using the 6 stride mark this spring.

any interesting info positive or negative?? Would like to here and discus any “corrections” that need to be made before another season.

dj

ps.. i finally got Tim Mack's book and have read most of it. but i will say, and maybe we can talk about this more, where "B" said he talked with Tully's coach about the run and the crown on the field... that info was the briefest info.. there was a little more to what was taking place from the start to the "MID" that made a huge difference and maybe we should explore that here. I have mentioned it in other threads but still don't see world-class vaulters making the correct adjustments.. even at the NCAA and the USA's there were indications that as the pressure mounted the vaulter accelerated from the start to the "MID" (because of adrenalin?) much better, but as a result had a "MID" that was to far out and couldn't plant and takeoff correctly.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Awesome! Metric! now I can convert my rundrill for my lady vaulter in Cairo...if only I could speak Arab....

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:38 pm

hey ladyvol

i'll handle the arabic for you..

i think we tried that once before... this time i'll have my arabic "A" team with me.. starting July 5..

sorry i didn't get to one of your clinics.. and didn't get to visit..

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”