Lower Back Pain

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
tmcalan
PV Newbie

Lower Back Pain

Unread postby tmcalan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:35 am

Somtimes when i jump i am having lower left back pain. I think its somthing with my muscles although were i am expierencing the most pain is by my lower back hip bone where the muscle conects. I was wondering if this happens to anyone else. It usually hurts me after i am way under my step and my back sort of compresses. i am thinking of going to chiropractics. If this has happend to anyone eles does anyone know quick remedys for getting back to vaulting. this has happend to me before but it has gone away quick, i think i really hurt it this time. :crying:

Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Tom
13'6'' PR Senior year in High School!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Lower Back Pain

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Start doing excercises that strengthen the inner muscles around that area... I might be able to suggest a few through PM, but you should ask a trainer or a doctor if you can.

Oh, and don't take off under! I think that's why I haven't been 100% for almost a year now... It screws up your back! Seriously, the single most important thing to do is take off FREE... TRUST me. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Don't take off under and go see a chiropractor.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:05 am

The human body responds differently to many things, yep taking off under is going to hammer your low back, regardless pole vault takes a toll on your body, the sudden impact on the shoulder hammers everything from shins to the take off arm Gleno-humeral labrum (spelling?). Make sure you are warming up properly and more important cooling down, a static stretch when you are done can really help facilitate the recovery process. Also icing even when you don't feel bad helps, my coaching staff calls it "prehab".

You are talking about your left low back, so look above and below the injury to find the problem. Yes you pole vault and that is a factor but your shoes also may be a factor, over pronation and supination of the foot can cause problems in the hips, pulling your hamstrings, gluteus, iliopsosis into all sorts of out of whack. If it hurts on the left side doesn't mean there is nothign wrong with the right side as well.

Some ergonomic changes in your life can really help too, when you sit at your computer to check PVpower for hours on end, make sure your lumbar is supported, make sure you don't have a slight case or lordosis, (stand against wall see if you can your whole hand thought the small of you back, should be snug about the size of a hand) Sprinting with lordosis can cause a bunch of problems based on the tilt of the hips/pelvis that may feel painful when you're done.

In terms of strengthening, make sure you are strengthening your whole core. Your frontal and oblique abs do play a part in how your low back feels.

The point of a warm up is to introduce your body to what its going to be doing and introduce it to the demands of what is needed of the activity. Make sure you are warming up your low back as well, twisting karyokies (agian spelling?) are good, they get blood in the legs moving and allow for the trunk muscles to be dynamically/ballistically stretched. Then doing high knee karyokies gets the twist and the gluteus warmed up as well.

***keep in mind I am not a medical professional these are simply suggestions that I would do for myself based on given information***

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”