Mid Mark Chart

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
PVstudent
PV Pro

Re: Mid Mark Chart

Unread postby PVstudent » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:08 am

From the outset I think DJ cannot claim that I have, on any occasion in private mail or on the public forum attempted to "trash" his chart. If this is his belief it is horribly misconceived!

I suggest that what follows is a fair summary of my involvement in the mid mark chart discussions and the current state of affairs as I perceive them in regard to some facts:

1. The chart was founded on observations made and recorded over many decades. On some occasions physical marks made by vaulters on the runway plus their pole grips (from pole tip to grip) were measured and or estimated. Where precisely the grip was measured - to the top of the uppermost grip or the centre of the grip or the lower (little) finger side of the grip was unspecified. The ground markings used were take-off point and the six-step point out from the back of the box. These appear, so far as I could ascertain, to have been made primarily on an "eyeball" examination of predominantly USA male vaulters to determine the six-step mark. In some cases cinefilm and or video was used to obtain these data. Where measurement was made on the actual runway a tape measure was used. The measurements obtained and measured in this way were associated with 6-inch increments in bar height and drawn up into a chart form by DJ.

2. DJ constructed a chart initially where bar height and associated grips (measured from pole tip to grip), takeoff points (in feet and inches) and the location out from the back of the box of the 6 step out point (in feet and inches) was marked on the chart. These data were obtained from a small (my description) sample of Male American elite vaulters with some observations of other individual international (notably former Soviet Union vaulters, French and other Nationalities) level vaulters. More recently data for female American vaulters have been used. A metric version of his chart was also produced to which average speed (I am unclear how precisely this was measured but understand it as being the average speed from 10m out to 5m out) was added.

3. In order to get DJ to be specific about the chart I put up objectively collected (video and Laser Gun measurements) data from competition and training jumps of one male elite international level vaulter (World Indoor / Outdoor and Olympic Games top six finalist and one female national level calibre vaulter.
The data included stride length, stride rates and average speed per step, on a step by step basis, for the full approach run-up of each vaulter. I requested DJ on the basis of his chart to tell me the grip height and six-step mid marks that the vaulters should have used. Following a request to me to supply grip heights (pole tip to top of grip of the top hand), DJ was close in his estimation of the six step mark of the elite male (DJ suggested that the precision of his estimate was +- 8 inches) ie he was within 16 inches (ie 0.406m) for the male and was out by more than that amount for the female vaulter.

On the basis of this outcome I concluded that the DJ mid mark chart gives a general guideline to where the six-step check mark should be located for a particular grip height but suggested it would need to be honed by the coach and vaulter to match specific cases. I recommended the chart for beginner coaches and vaulters as a useful and sound general guide. Note that I did not trash the chart!

4. Next I tried to establish the precise methodological basis DJ used to calculate his six-step mid mark estimates. To do this I presented actual data obtained from World Championship and Olympic Games finalists for the final four steps of their best vaults in those competitions. Included in the data I supplied were the vaulter's Stature (height), Body Mass, and pole tip to top of the uppermost grip hand length used by the vaulters for whom data were published. The data also included the individual step length, step rate and the average speed of each step, on a step by step basis, for the final 4 steps of the approach run-up. DJ challenged the accuracy of these data. However his challenge I assessed to be an unsubstantiated assertion of his claimed personal knowledge with respect to Earl Bell in particular. The scientific bona-fides of the researchers responsible for the reports were acceptable to the IAAF, and the methods and procedures used were of the highest standards available at the time. I took the data as reported to be valid rather than accept DJ's attempt to negate their validity. DJ put up no evidence to back his claims.
The data I presented showed that vaulter step length and step rate varied on a step by step basis when compared within and between vaulters during the final 4 steps of their approach runs. Also data obtained for the same vaulters in different competitions (World Champs & Olympic games) showed similar outcomes. The data were derived using methods and procedures acceptable to both the IAAF and biomechanists on both occasions. (Note: there were some variations in the cine camera speeds used at the separate competitions but definitions of terms and the data analysis procedures were the same and met the scientific reliability and validity requirements within limitations of the studies).
In summary the important feature of the results relevant to the mid-mark chart discussion (this is my view of the results) is that a vaulter's step length and step rate in the final 4 steps of their approach run, as performed at World Elite Level in competition, varied step by step.
Whilst average speed is the product of step length and step rate, I concluded that average speed taken over 6 or 4 steps is not necessarily a true indication of any actual step length or step rates used by a particular vaulter.
In other words at this elite level it is possible for the same average speed to be achieved due to it being the product of differing combinations of the step length and step rate.
Another way of putting this is to posit that vaulters who are able to travel the same horizontal distance in the same time and thereby achieving the same average speed actually employ a uniquely personal pattern of step length and step rate relationships whilst doing so.
I concluded on this evidence that step length and step rates are not invariants (ie retain the same or constant values) even though vaulters may produce the same average speed during the final 6 steps to travel the same distance in the same time of the approach run in pole vault.

5. There was some discussion on the issue of stature and leg length and the findings reported by Weyand and his group. Stature is a partial determining factor but not the only one that limits the step length of a vaulter. Because resultant ground reaction force at toe-off in each running step is the major determinant of a running step flight time (all other factors being equal - my caveat) the horizontal distance covered is thus primarily determined by flight time. Since step length is defined as the horizontal distance measured from the toe-off point on the ground of one foot to the toe off point of the contralateral foot, foot length also contributes to step length. Clearly foot length which is related to stature contributes to step length but to a much lesser degree than flight time. Note that at no stage in the discussions have I stated or claimed that stature, particularly leg length to be the sole determinant of step length.

6. In response to data that others and myself put up re elite male and female 100m sprinters DJ put up his data for Tim Mack and Sergey Bubka. DJ used the data to show the mathematical method he employed to calculate 6 step average speed, 6 step average step length and step rates. He requested that his mathematics be checked.
I have checked the calculations and don't have any issue to raise as to the correctness of the mathematics procedures (simple addition, division, and multiplication) used. I do however have three issue in regard to the 4.40m take-off distance used to make the 17.06m estimate for Bubka's 6 step check mark.
Firstly, as far as I am aware, Bubka did not use 6 step check marks!
Secondly I have assumed DJ used his chart to obtain the 4.40m take-off point and therefore no check can be made as to the precision or accuracy of the estimate arrived at. Explicit knowledge of the actual take-off distance and the actual 6 step out touch down distance would be required to do this. Neither of these essential distances is given and hence the accuracy of the estimate cannot be substantiated independently. Thirdly without knowing the magnitude of the real life datum values a calculation of an average based on 4 step lengths extrapolated to be indicative of the average for six steps gives us a "ball park" estimate only. There is insufficient information to judge the size of the ballpark and thereby get an indication of the precision of the guess.

7. Whilst these exchanges were taking place Ladyvolscoach put up an intriguing and startling video obtained using Dartfish software processing of digital video images. Statements were made in regard to what the videos showed, particularly regarding timing accuracy, that caused me to try to clarify how the images were obtained, processed and reproduced using the Dartfish system. These enquiries have continued.

Ladyvolscoach needed medical treatment and DJ was offshore in Europe. There the matters stood and then followed DJ's quite extraordinary outburst! I will not enter into that vitriolic clash of the Titans!

dj wrote:by dj on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:47 pm
hey

one of the things ladyvol showed me with dartfish was how two athletes would have the same frequency but different SIX sTEP MARKS..one longer one shorter.. for example bubka.. 57 feet tim mack 55 feet.. if you didn't know the six step marks you woulld think tim was running as fast as bubka.. but bubka was covering more ground in the same time.. something like 1.37 seconds for the last six steps..

the bottom line was that human potential was very simular in steps per second,, frquency.. on the same surface that is... it was the amount of force that gave the longer stride lengths.. there ground times were also very simular .. again indicatiing it was the force creating the stride length.. tim has a longer inseam than bubka so it wasn't "longer legs.. longer steps.." that is a miss conception..

Finally the quote from DJ's response of Friday August 4th reveals the kernel of the issues that remain to be resolved. They lie at the heart of my attempting to contribute to what I understood to be a public forum discussion.
The first paragraph exposes the confusion DJ has had in regard to the interaction of step length and step frequency that must be considered in comparing vaulters. Vaulters who appear to be moving their legs at the same rate and not necessarily have the same step lengths are according to DJ a concept he had not fully appreciated or understood until Ladyvoscoach helped him see his misunderstanding using Dartfish.
The second paragraph is typical of many of DJ's statements in that it contains grains of truth whilst sometimes making explanatory assertions that are demonstrably questionable on factual and or logical grounds or both. For example " it was the amount of force that gave the longer stride lengths.. there ground times were also very simular .. again indicatiing it was the force creating the stride length.." DJ simply can not know this unless he has actually made the measurements and or can point us to the evidence.
There are elements of truth in much of what DJ asserts but when pressed by us lesser mortals to be specific and to explain his versions of science and the physics he claims underpins his chart he unfortunately demonstrates his exasperation when we fail to understand or agree with him. DJ by resorting to his now infamous tactic of venting his spleen over long held animosities or imagined personal attacks does himself and his mid mark chart a disservice. What a pity!

I thought, quite wrongly, that my input and DJ's responses to them might establish whether the 6 step mid mark chart had the scientific underpinning claimed and the precision to be applied as rigorously to all vaulters in their run up as DJ confidently proclaims. If the chart had the infallibility claimed then I could accept DJ's insistence that to vault correctly all vaulters with the same grip (pole tip length to top of the top hand) should be made to have approach run parameters that match the 6 step mid mark chart. Instead, I will continue to employ a coaching approach in which the approach run is developed according to the realities of the levels of competence, physical capacities and acquired ability of each individual. DJ has failed to convince me to rely solely on his Pole-Vaulter Holy Grail the 6 step Mid Mark Chart. The chart is a useful but not perfect coaching tool. It is, in my view, unreasonable for the DJ chart to be espoused by anyone as the panacea to all vault technical problems associated with the approach run final 6 steps. The evidence is insufficient for such a belief to be credible. The post hoc science based explanations for the claimed efficacy of DJ's chart remain to be substantiated by DJ. Claiming that it all boils down to the "physics" is one thing. For DJ to show how this is the case is quite another! DJ continues to struggle valiantly in this regard. How wrong I was to be so presumptuous as to believe myself able to assist DJ to clarify the "science".

I still remain an avid student of the event but having done what I can to get at the facts and scientific underpinning for the DJ chart I withdraw because discussing / arguing with DJ is to debate founded on quicksand. The risk of character assassination and personal insult is also far too high for me to continue.

I end my contribution to this PVP forum thread with a quote that exactly captures my belief as to claims made for the efficacy of the DJ 6 step Mid Mark Chart.

"There is no absolute knowledge. And those who claim it, whether they are scientists or dogmatists, open the door to tragedy. All information is imperfect. We have to treat it with humility."
Jacob Bronowski, The Ascent of Man. (1973).
Every new opinion at its starting, is precisely a minority of one!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Good afternoon..

Pvstudent you don’t have anything to worry about.. I don’t think you have ever stated that my work is a “joke” or “where are you from outer space.”

I truly believe you have tried to come to grips with how and why the chart works..

But I must have miss wrote or you must have miss read or miss interpreted what I said about ladyvol and dartfish.. I’m completely confident in my chart and why it is the correct stride length and stride frequencies to give the “correct” amount of force to move the accompanying grip to vertical… plus the athlete and coach has the added benefit of a physical “method” (approach runs on the track with the Six step Marks) to see if you have the correct speed to grip a curtain grip.. and work on consistency, pole carry, pole drop at the same time……… I feel “the chart” was maybe a once and a life time type “discovery” that is totally supported by the math and physics of how to run correctly..

As for comparing the 400 meters to the last six steps of a approach run.. no way for it to be done.. even comparing the 100 meters is a stretch… the last six steps on the runway, with a pole in your hand, puts you in a very fine “box’ as you will..

That “box’ dictates some very finite parameters in frequency and length.. Extremely finite.. IF YOU ARE RUNNING CORRECTLY....and I don’t believe any of the charts or “numbers’ that have been put forth by contributors on here have been more than 8 inches/20cm forward or back of what I have on the chart.. even the data on the post alan just made on the approach will fit the “chart”…

Again while in Finland recently.. many of the Finn and Russian jumpers were using a six step mark.. and when they were forward or back of the Six Stride Chart marks, based on grip and/or bar height, on my sheet.. they failed 90% of the time.. very odd that we could predict makes and misses 50 feet from the takeoff.. just based on the placement of the sixth stride point!!!

I think much was missed from these discussions because of the “persoanl’ attacks.. and I wish things had not have gone there.. but I had/have every right to defend my self personally..

I have a pretty good resume’(13 Olympians who all preformed at a much higher level “after” they worked with me.) and to have my “lifes work” reduced to a “joke’ to be read by the 41,000 people you monitored this thread was enough..

Again.. my chart is a “tool”.. it is the best tool anyone has come up with, to date, to have the correct run so the vaulter is in position to do the correct things from the plant/takeoff forward.. …

Alan even had the benefit of the chart when he worked with us at the camp in South Carolina…all of the 18 vaulters I sent to his pit/runway, had there runs correct (except for three) before they got on his runway to learn form his coaching.. if their run was not correct, they couldn’t do what he was asking them to do.. if there run was off I took them back to the track and tried to fix it.. I think all but one finally got it.. and benefited from the technical coaching alan was giving them… which would not have happened if the run was off..

dj

ps I have again asked becca to remove this thread and my chart form PVP.. if anyone wants future discussions email me.. davidfjohnston@aol.com

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:52 pm

I am pleased to see that this is settling down because it was becoming completely counter productive. I say again I have no problems with your chart because i have never used it - although clearly other folk have. My own view is that athletes must first learn how to run correctly with the pole/ then learn how to control their stride length through 20/20 and 20/25 drills and then to build a structure which incorporates a change in cadence over the last six steps to match the lowering pole at that point. In his original paper Petrov suggested that the falling pole FORCED the athlete to increase their cadence. However In btb I made the point that although this may be true we work specifically with the drills indicated above to ensure that they DO increase cadence so they are attacking the box with the body tall, This allows them to increase speed without increasing stride length. My approach to developing the run up is detailed in BTB for what that is worth.

Re South Carolina - I think old timers may be kicking in dj because if you recall I never worked as a pit coach, but worked on drills with groups all the time.
FINALLY I MUST EMPHASIS THAT NO ONE IS QUESTIONING YOUR EXPERIENCE OR WHAT YOU HAVE DERIVED FROM IT. I think you should accept that coaches go with what works for them - if they find your chart is the best way they will use it, but if they have found other solutions which work for them they will use them instead. My philosophy has been to look for the simplest ways of doing everything.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:44 pm

dj wrote:ps I have again asked becca to remove this thread and my chart form PVP.. if anyone wants future discussions email me.. davidfjohnston@aol.com

dj, this thread has been hard to read because of all the chaff, but there is so much wheat in it that it would be a shame if Becca removes it.

I for one am hoping to some day separate the wheat from the chaff, and truly understand what the Mid Mark Chart means - and how to apply it. Not just by blind faith, but by understanding some of the science behind it. Most scientific "discoveries" are just that - someone discovers something, and then he (with perhaps the assistance of other people) figure out the mathematical formula that proves the science. Your "discovery" may be just that! Let's continue researching, experimenting, and proving the theory! Constructively!

To be honest, the run was the weakest part of my vault, and if I get back into coaching anytime in the next 10 years, I fully intend to try to figure this out - I need to. After all, I can't just teach an athlete how to vault once he leaves the ground. To state the obvious, the "Run." is where it all begins - before the "Plant. Jump. Split. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear." - or whatever model your athlete is following. As far as I understand so far, your Mid Mark Chart is model-agnostic.

I think any coach (or aspiring coach) would be remiss by not taking the time to try to understand the application (and the science behind it) of your Mid Mark Chart - and then at least expirementing with it himself (or herself).

Primarily because I haven't taken the time to absorb it all yet (the chaff's been too distracting), I don't know if this MIGHT be someful extremely useful for EVERY vaulting coach to use, but it sounds VERY PROMISING, so I'm not going to take the chance of losing this information.

Therefore, I've copied all 19 pages of this thread to my laptop, so that if Becca removes it, I'll still have it for the next 10 years. This only took me 5 minutes. But if I lost this info forever, I'd really be kicking myself. :)

I know that you would provide me with the information if I sent you a private email. But I think that there's been additional content supplied on this thread that might help me understand it better. I need that too!

I urge you to retract your request to Becca, and allow the thread to continue.

Becca has said (a few posts back) that she's snipping out all the chaff - and so she should. I'm hopeful that this will be sufficient for you to allow the thread to continue.

It seems that in the past few days, everyone that's posted on this thread has been constructive, so maybe all the chaff is a thing of the past. Let's hope so!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Good morning

I’m going to do a “short’ summary of What and maybe how using the Six Stride Chart/ Check Mark should work and does work.

First and foremost the chart is not “contrary” to anything about the Approach Run technically that I have read Pretrov or any other world class coaches teach or emphasize.

First it actually can enhance the use and focus put forth by the 20/20 drill; second it specifically customizes the last Six (6) strides/steps to each vaulter and their speed capability (if you stay close to the “Grip to Six Step Mark” on the chart); third, it places the vaulter (Six steps from the takeoff) at a point on the approach that not only matches the vaulters “speed to grip” capability but actually allows the vaulter the opportunity to have 6 strides of equal length but with increasing frequency…. Note: the reason the last statement is true and functional is, if you stay close to the “grip to Six Check Mark you will not have to ever stretch into the takeoff.. unless of course you are running much slower than the “Grip to Six Check Mark”.. if that is/were the case you should not be holding that high to begin with………

By summarizing hopefully new readers will not have to go back over the whole post…….

1. Step one to using the chart is as a “coaches” check mark for consistency and to see if the vaulter “stretches” or “chops’…

Check where your Six Step is from the back of the box, doesn’t matter how long your approach run is, unless it’s less than 6 steps (3 lefts)……

2. Next…How does it compare to the chart based on “Grip to Check”? if it is farther out, have you been stretching and taking of “under”?

3. Set your run up on the track….. I’ll use a 12 step 6 left as an example…

My Check is 42 feet so the distance between each of the last six steps is 5’4”……….

St…............………………......…Check……….................…...……TO…........…..Box
L.....R.....L.....R.....L.....R.....L.....R.....L.....R.....L.....R.....L
……………………………….............…<.....<.....<.....<.....<.....<.....<………….....
The distance between these is .....5’4”..5’4”…………………………………..

Set up the first part of your approach by running “back” from the check…………..

Now run this approach on the track and see if you can “get your feet down” and hit the marks, plant and takeoff……..

This is the run for a 12-7 grip and a 12-6 vault………..

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:24 pm

I am in the process of restoring DJs original posts, most of which got garbled and truncated in the various server moves. I figured out how to access the old version of the board andthe database, so I do have access to them, and have been carefully editing them to remove the garbled characters.

Unfortunately, this has revealed what the folks at phpbb tell me is a bug in MYSQL that has several times caused the message board to crash. I can work around it, but it's given me a few heart attacks in the process.

I also had surgery recently and was out for a few days.

I regret not following this thread more closely, I did not realize how much things had degraded to a level that was not acceptable on this board. Many more unconstructive posts will be deleted here before I am done.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Good afternoon.

Well from the personal feed back I have received, I guess I did make a serious fool of
myself……

that aside maybe I can, again, “defend” my chart!!!

Honestly the chart shouldn’t be something that would ever have to be defended.. it has continued to “boggle” my mind that it was a subject of “argument’ in the first place…

The chart is “science” (Math.. one grip higher (9cm) = + 30cm longer run over 6 steps) is correct based on the “physics” of creating speed….stride length X stride frequency.. The athlete is the one that is not “accurate”. If you took a machine and produced the exact step lengths and frequencies on the chart you would produce the force to move the corresponding grip to vertical..period.. but like Bubka said he was able to produce correctness in the takeoff some of the time.. (and as Tully used to say.. I hope when I hit it right I’m on the right pole with the right grip and the bar is on the world record…) some of the time we are dead “on” but most of the time we are a little off…

The empirical data I collect pvstudent was not to “create the chart” it was to verify the chart.. theres a big difference in your perspective and mine.. and (sorry) but the people that believe and follow your “logic” are being miss lead and will be missing a very good coaching tool.

The numbers I gave you for your vaulters are scientifically correct for the “correct” speed for your vaulters to move the grips you gave me to vertical.. the fact that they are “off” brings up several questions, not all bad.. first, and not in any specific order, are the vaulters running and reaching the correct takeoff point the way you want them or “perfectly”? second, are they under or over achieving? Third are they inside or outside based on the chart (you mentioned the guy was 16” off…. is that “in” or “out”.. fourth, have you timed the last six steps to see if the speed “fits” the meters per second necessary to jump the heights based on grip for the “Mark” they are currently on now?

This is just the start of the “evaluation” I do, and can do, based on the “scientific” data on the chart..

For example the first thing I would do with your guy.. is look at the run, check the “Six Step Mark”, if it is “out” based on grip by 16” I will “look” for a hint of “stretching”.

For example if the grip is 4.90… the “best” Six Stride is 54’ or 16.54m for the best step length and step frequency.... if the vaulters “actual” mark is 55-4 /16.95… I want to know why? He is not gripping higher.. or why he is not jumping 5.75?? etc..

If there is no sign of stretching I will check the speed and takeoff position.. if the speed and posture id good.. I will start moving the grip up.. because this vaulter is “underachieving”.

If the vaulter is slower than the speed on the chart for length and frequency I know the vaulter is over striding.. and will move the steps in and try and increase the frequency.. hopefully cutting down the “ground’ time..

I usually go to the track to make this correction first..

I feel there are a couple of reasons the chart is not accepted… one it is “so on” that many automatically think it is “magic”.. I have gotten that response ever since I started using it in the 70’s.. I didn’t even publish it until the late 80’s because of that “moniker” .. I wanted to work at the university DI level and no head coach wanted a “Looney” on the staff..

it’s not “magic” bj..and others that have tried it, or seen me work with it at a meet>>> what did/do you think when I know where everyone’s run should be???

And lastly…. (And I still feel strongly that Becca needs to remove this thread.. with me having the “last word”… it’s my chart, I know what it is and how it helps and it doesn’t need to be openly considered “wrong” based on opinion and not fact.. those that disagree can write me personally and not publicly “swaying” people (that you will never meet or have a chance to “hash” it out with personally… kind off like yelling fire in a move so you can have the seat you want.. what you get is a seat.. but no move for anyone.. not just yourself)….. from understanding or pursuing the information contained in the chart….

So many coaches don’t coach the approach at all so I can understand why some information may not make sense.. but we need to at least encourage everyone to put more thought into the run… the chart is one good way to do that…

At this point I want to apologies to Lawrence.. big time.. for even putting his name in here.. I wish I could have made some points without doing that… I have nothing but the highest regard for Lawrence. The highest.. my frustration as a coach was knowing Lawrence was very, very close to the world record.. he worked hard for it and deserved it… he knew “how” to pole vault.. he just needed the correct “physics” and speed at the takeoff…

dj

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Hey DJ, just out of curiousity, how does the chart take into account how explosive the vaulter is at takeoff? What if there was a vaulter who was relatively slow, but could really explode at the takeoff? Couldn't this slower vaulter still grip as high as another vaulter who ran a little faster but was not as explosive when jumping? Or is this a contradiction in itself?

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:48 pm

Good morning

I want to revisit.. maybe the simple most fundamental reason we use “any” check marks………

In the “How to Vault” video Brad Walker stated the “one” most important element in vaulting.. the one thing he “emphasized” will not be contested or argued about by anyone.. or shouldn’t be…

That element was the takeoff point……. He didn’t say “maybe” here or there.. he said exact.. not under.. not out.. “ON”….

Fundamental to “being on”, first and foremost, is the starting point…… second to this is running correctly and consistently…… and yes the best athletes can usually get it right or have the athletic ability to make up for the mistakes on a run… sometimes.. and again in the Olympics several athletes looked to be stretching…

if the vaulter or jumper runs faster or slower.. Stretches or chops along the way… changes anything… trying harder.. Trying less.. Anything can and will affect the “ending” takeoff point……

if you watched the Olympic gymnastics.. you saw the results of some “missed steps”.. why did so many of them go out of bounds.. I asked myself that question… was the floor a different size than they had practiced on?? Did they start from a different point???? Did they have to change there routine?? Did they have so much adrenalin they ran longer steps??? What ever it was.. it was corrected.. I noticed that in the final events they were starting there “moves” closer to the center of the mat.. what type of reference did they have??? And was it simply from adrenalin??

Longer Jumpers and Vaulters do this all the time.. the bigger the meet sometimes the greater the error..

They come so “jacked’ up out of the start that the steps are actually shorter and way out.. meaning they would have to stretch to be “on” losing speed and posture…

Most coaches and athletes will “slow” down the start to be “on” so they can jump correctly.. “save something for the end” they say…

We shouldn’t slow them down.. because they will never reach there potential by running “slower”.. I let them come out of the back accelerating but adjust the start mark so they hit the correct “Check” and takeoff..

I have seen Olympic long jumpers and pole vaulters “slow” the run to be correct.. and not have the speed to jump high or far enough to win..

Bottom line for this post is.. I would not know where the “mistakes” are being made unless I have a reference point.. and not only is the “Six Stride Chart” a reference.. it is a Check Mark based on grip and the speed needed to move that grip..

Here is one for you long jump coaches.. check your athletes six step mark in this way… add 20’ or 6 meters to your jumpers “jump distance”.. for example a 23 foot jumper would put a mark at 43 feet.. 20 footer at 40 feet… etc.. this should be close.. maybe not as “ON” as the vault.. but close..

Later

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:31 am

GOOD MORNING

THOUGHT IT WOULD BE HELPFUL TO POST THIS FROM TOM TELLEZ ON SPEED... THE SAME PRINCIPLES TO CREATE SPEED SHOULD APPLY TO THE APPROACH RUN...

LATER ON I WILL POST CONCERNING THE FIRST PART OF THE APPROACH PRIOR TO THE "SIX STEP POINT"... AND EXPLAIN A "MAJOR" ERROR, I FEEL, THAT TAKES PLACE IN COMPETITION, WHEN THE ADRENALIN GOES UP, WHEN THE GRIP HAS GONE UP, WHEN YOU GO TO A BIGGER POLE..... "B" AND T-MACK MENTIONED AN ADJUSTMENT THEY MADE AT THE 2004 TRIALS AND GAMES AND I WANT TO "DEAL" WITH THAT ADJUSTMENT IN A LITTLE MORE DETAIL

TOM TELLEZ PART II

Common Errors

Stressing stride length or stride frequency?

Debate on the best way of improving sprint speed focuses on two issues:

increasing stride length versus increasing frequency. We are limited physiologically to the amount of strides than can be performed in a second. It is true that most good sprint athletes have just about the same frequency. So, an athlete with adequate conditioning who takes the longest strides usually wins.
Stressing stride frequency alone results in inefficient sprint technique.

Common knowledge portrays stride frequency as a speed advantage. However, stride frequency differs from stride speed. Stride speed is angular velocity of a stride, while frequency is the number of strides, or impulses, per second. Even if a sprinter has the fastest turnover, without proper force application, stride length will be small. This is because frequency alone does cause linear motion; applying force to the ground does. Proper force application results in stride length and frequency increases.

Stride speed is involuntarily increased by the conservation of angular momentum. Shortening the radius, thus reducing the moment of inertia, results in an increase of angular velocity. The shorting of the lever occurs after the foot breaks contact with the ground. This movement is the response of the forces being applied correctly to the ground and is non-volitional.

Illusion of Speed

There is an illusion of speed when then lever does not go through the full range of motion; each movement looks and feels faster. For example if stride frequency is stressed, an athlete may not allow the hip extend through full range of motion to reap whatever benefits he created from applying force to the ground. Lack of hip extension detracts from momentum and ultimately decreases speed because of inefficiency. But the objective is not to move the lever fast but rather transport the mass down the track in the least time possible. Avoiding full range of motion also sacrifices proper force application.

Leg preactivation: pawing action

Pawing action is actually an illusion resulting from rapid hip extension. Too much voluntary action at the knees and ankles causes a reduction in angular velocity of the hip, which is the prime generator of force. Force causes motion while speed is a measurement of motion.
Cyclic force is applied from the hip (radial force) which results in tangential motion of the foot. At foot placement, the shin should be approximately 90 degrees to the ground (Fig. 5). As the center of mass passes over the point of support, the heel briefly touches the ground and the ankle angle closes. This motion puts the Achilles tendon and calf in a stretch position while the knee is bent, allowing a greater push off force from the ball of the foot. Hips extend in one continuous motion from the knee lift position through the end of the push off with no pauses in hip extension at foot contact.

High knee lift

Please see “Knee action” in Part 1.

Reach and Pull

Running action such as reaching and pulling with the hamstrings has been scientifically proven not to produce the most efficient movement (Weyand et. al. 1998). This running style is inefficient because it does not utilize the stretch reflex, but instead requires more muscle forces and volumes per unit of force applied to the ground (Weyand et al. 1998).

Summary

Scientific research across the world has yet to penetrate the track and field world. Athletes can be better sprinters with scientifically proven sprint technique. Better sprinters require coaches who are willing to learn scientific principles as well as a method of communicating their knowledge to the athlete.
more to come later

dj

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:55 pm

dj wrote:Reach and Pull

Running action such as reaching and pulling with the hamstrings has been scientifically proven not to produce the most efficient movement (Weyand et. al. 1998). This running style is inefficient because it does not utilize the stretch reflex, but instead requires more muscle forces and volumes per unit of force applied to the ground (Weyand et al. 1998).

dj

I agree with this wholly for a sprinter, partly for a vaulter.

The problem I see is that in order to carry a pole with its own center of mass in front of you and be able to jump off the ground with maximal takeoff angle, you have to be upright with a forward pelvic tilt. When running upright, the locomotion of the leg from the ground up and around goes through a "butt kick" into a "high knee approx 90 degree angle at knee joint" into an opening/snapping/whipping action as the "leg straightens and claws back" under the hips/center of mass. This allows you to keep the center of mass higher and jump off the ground. Ask a kid to try to jump up and touch a basketball net or grab rim, and they won't be hunched over or leaning forward, they'll take a deliberate penultimate step and upright themselves as they jump.

Short of getting into another debate on optimal takeoff angle, I pose the question: is it ok to sacrifice some horizontal velocity in order to contribute to a steeper takeoff angle? and if so, how much?

I also think that a person can strike wayyyyy too far in front of their body/center of mass and cause braking forces that decelerate you on each stride, and the key is to maintain that forward pelvic tilt and snap the foot under the hips upon ground contact. You can certainly PUSH a lot more weight (ie: leg press) than PULL it (ie: leg curl), so angular velocity as Tellez mentions is key, however my fear is that we sometimes focus on horizontal speed too much without paying enough attention to proper posture and mechanics, particularly in the hips.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:29 pm

Kris,

I think you are right on with concerns about pelvic tilt and posture at the takeoff, but rather than viewing the takeoff as pulling the foot back under the hips I believe it is better described as pushing the foot/shin straight down into the ground. This helps reduce the "overstride to grab" phenomenon we have all observed.

Just my 2 cents,

Barto
Facts, Not Fiction

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”