Nike Outdoor and USATF Nationals

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:48 am

vault3rb0y wrote:They may have adjusted it this year. In my opinion, thats a big mistake. With the number of vaulters going to USATF's they are not going to get a big field of vaulters this year.

Maybe they don't want as big of a field as they've had in the past.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 21, 2008 10:58 am

I just think that with it being during USATF now, it might backfire and they might get less competitors than they want.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:13 pm

Coach Peter Slovenski at Bowdoin College asked me to post this information for those of you who will be going the Nike Outdoor Meet.

Coach Slovenski carried on a rather extensive e-mail discussion with the meet officials after the meet. I think that his suggestions are sound.

Here's what Coach Slovenski wrote:

I wanted to write to the high school section on polevaultpower.com to tell people that in 2007 the boys’ pole vault at the Nike Outdoor Nationals was conducted into a head wind all day, even though the runway could have gone the other direction.

Vaulters who plan to attend the Nike outdoor national meet should e-mail the Nike outdoor national web site to request that the pole vault runway go with the wind. I’ve contacted the officials and they: 1) defended the decision to have the vaulters run into the headwind in 2007 because they thought the wind would shift around, and 2) cite a USATF rule that they think prohibits them from changing directions during the day.

I hope the vaulters can let them know that: 1) the meet should start with a tailwind rather than a headwind if possible, and 2) if the wind changes, it can be dangerous enough so that the officials should be willing to shift the runway again between sections of competition.

Thanks,
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Currently (at the JR National home site) sixteen boys and twelve girls entered.
(there are also seventeen entered the decathlon).

I'm thinking out loud, but those numbers might be just a little smaller than in past years where there wasn't a meet conflict.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:31 pm

The conflict and the 15'6.75" requirement, opposed to 15'1", makes for a lot less entries. I wouldnt be suprised to see just one flight.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:04 pm

i agree but they always let lower local guys in and i know that about 2 or 3 from around here are going to put their info in anyways. i think that they are just bumping it up for show and im thinking also that they will still take peoples money.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

rilegan
PV Newbie

Unread postby rilegan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:51 am

I dont think it will be as big of a problem as you think jason. With the difference in the height requirements for the two meets i dont think them being in the same weekend will have to much of an effect. I feel as if very few people do both meets anyway. As for NON uping the standard to 15'6, im in favor of. It's supposed to be the national championships, they should be trying to attract the highest caliber of jumper possible. Sucks for the kids who wont be able to go because of it (which would have been me last year with a pr of 15'1 going into the meet) but i still think thats how it should be.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:35 pm

I never said it wasnt a good thing. The only bad thing is the meets being the same weekend. I dont think 50 vaulters should be able to make a national championship on an average year. 30 at most. But being the same weekend, im not sure 25 will show up.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”