20ft jumps

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:44 am

Ok folks I will back off. However Becca, the best way to prevent me from letting fly is to ensure that a man I have immense respect for both as an athlete and as a person, is never again labelled as shady or as a coward on your site. Remember that those words in the wrong time and place could have lead to a quick trip to Boot Hill in the Dodge City of the 1870's! :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:49 am

altius wrote:Remember that those words in the wrong time and place could have lead to a quick trip to Boot Hill in the Dodge City of the 1870's! :idea: :yes:

I had a friend who claimed to have been born in the wrong time. He'd always fantasized about living in the old west where you could legally kill a man that cheated at cards or called you a liar. ;)

anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread.....
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

mjb
PV Beginner
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby mjb » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:14 pm

So the whole thing here is if Bubka had something to do with this whole rule change. My belief is that he sure did. Yes, there may have been the whole thing about making the event move faster but there are other ways of doing that like making the field smaller. There is no better way to protect your world record other than changing the rules of the game. The vault is different with short pegs and rounded bars. I have heard people say in the past that he never touched the bar on his world record jumps.. This is true, but what about on the jumps leading up to his world records or on his third attempts at 5.70 where he did touch the bar. The bottom line is that the vault is much different now than when Bubka was jumping. It doesn't take anything away from him and his "greatness", but it has changed the vault. As for that world record of his, it will go down someday. There are guys now that are jumping that are very capable of doing it. I say just give it some time and it will happen.

260stickjumper
PV Newbie

Unread postby 260stickjumper » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:18 pm

while that is a good and very valid point. the whole thing here is actualy who has attempted 20ft or better who it was when it was and if ther is any video out there.

ifavault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former high school vaulter. Former college vaulter at CC level. Future centenarian WR holder!

Unread postby ifavault » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:17 am

I am nearly 100% certain that Rodion Gataullin made 3 attempts for a world record after winning the 1990 Goodwill games in Seattle with a height of 5.92

I believe the WR attempts were at 6.12, but it's been so long, I can't remember exactly. I was in the stands with my video camera running and have it on VHS somewhere, but it's likely at my parent's house (since I was only 17 years old at the time and have since moved out a long time ago).

I'll do my best to try and locate the tape and put it up if and when I find it, but it could take some time. I don't have equipment to transfer VHS to digital format except to record it off the TV screen with a digital video camera and then link that file on youtube or something. Not sure how that would come out, but I'll give it my best shot. Give me a week or two to see what I can come up with.

As I remember it, his first attempt was actually very close, but the last 2 were off by a ways.

I'll update when I have more info.

ifavault
www.inflightathletics.com
"Pole Vaulting...The Natural High"

PVPhD
PV Fan
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, USATF Biomechanist
Lifetime Best: 4.67 m
Favorite Vaulter: Mike McGinnis

Unread postby PVPhD » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 am

ifavault wrote:I am nearly 100% certain that Rodion Gataullin made 3 attempts for a world record after winning the 1990 Goodwill games in Seattle with a height of 5.92

I believe the WR attempts were at 6.12, but it's been so long, I can't remember exactly. I was in the stands with my video camera running and have it on VHS somewhere, but it's likely at my parent's house (since I was only 17 years old at the time and have since moved out a long time ago).

I'll do my best to try and locate the tape and put it up if and when I find it, but it could take some time. I don't have equipment to transfer VHS to digital format except to record it off the TV screen with a digital video camera and then link that file on youtube or something. Not sure how that would come out, but I'll give it my best shot. Give me a week or two to see what I can come up with.

As I remember it, his first attempt was actually very close, but the last 2 were off by a ways.

ifavault

Gataullin won the 1990 Goodwill Games in Seattle with a second attempt clearance of 5.92 m. He then took three unsuccessful attempts at a world record height - 6.08 m. This height is about 2 cm shy of 20 feet. In 1990, Bubka's world record was 6.06 m and still less than 20 feet. Bubka did not jump 20 feet until 1991 when he set a world record at 6.12 m.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am

6.08m = 19.947 feet.

Come on, can't we round that twice up to 20' (19.95, 20.00)? :D
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

ifavault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former high school vaulter. Former college vaulter at CC level. Future centenarian WR holder!

Unread postby ifavault » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:09 pm

Well, I was off on the height by a smidge, but correct about WR attempts. If I find the video, I may try and post it anyway since it is so close to 20 feet and I do remember that first attempt being pretty close.

ifavault
"Pole Vaulting...The Natural High"

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Rodion was a great vaulter -a bit unlucky to be around at the same time as Sergei. A great run up -probably should have jumped higher than he did.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:48 pm

PVPhD wrote:
ifavault wrote:I am nearly 100% certain that Rodion Gataullin made 3 attempts for a world record after winning the 1990 Goodwill games in Seattle with a height of 5.92

ifavault

Gataullin won the 1990 Goodwill Games in Seattle with a second attempt clearance of 5.92 m. He then took three unsuccessful attempts at a world record height - 6.08 m. This height is about 2 cm shy of 20 feet. In 1990, Bubka's world record was 6.06 m and still less than 20 feet. Bubka did not jump 20 feet until 1991 when he set a world record at 6.12 m.

AND THE DOCTOR FLEXES HIS MUSCLE!!!!

I've heard that Gataullin cleared 19'9" by 'a lot' from some pretty credible sources--so to say the least, he might have been able to do it...

I think there are people out there jumping now that have the ability (especailly with the recent boom of 6m plus vaulters--I believe 7 since 2000, 6 of whom are still competing). I have a couple cases of beer bet on who is going to do it... :P

mjb
PV Beginner
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby mjb » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:24 am

I don't like it when people state that "he should have jumped higher". Why do people say that. What if that is all he could have jumped. Why say Gataulin should have jumped higher. Just curious.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:57 am

mjb wrote:I don't like it when people state that "he should have jumped higher". Why do people say that. What if that is all he could have jumped. Why say Gataulin should have jumped higher. Just curious.

I think he could have jumped higher. He was more into putting up big bars and not 1cm at a time so he never inched his PR up like a lot of other guys. I used to have video of him jumping at a then WR of 6.05 and he had a foot on it and fell on the bar each attempt.

Gataulin suffered from severe sciatica and it flared up when he jumped. You can see this on multiple jumps after he hits the pit, he grabs his hamstring right where the sciatic nerve runs. He always felt that really limited his training and competitions.

Two Gataullin stories.

1. His mark was moved during a competition so he guessed where he started from and took off down the runway. The bar was at 5.70. He took off at around EIGHTEEN FEET (no one knows for sure since there weren't marks out that far but everyone agreed it was around 4 feet out), swung and cleared.

2. He opened at 5.60 and kept passing each subsequent height. He was sitting there cross legged, listening to his headphones, drinking his water. His name was called at either 5.80 or 5.85 and he didn't respond. So, another elite went over, tapped him on the shoulder to let him know he was up. He got up, was acting kind of weird. But, cleared easily. The other elite picked up his water bottle and smelled. It was straight vodka.

Gataullin may be god.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - General”