20ft jumps

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:31 pm

that is kind of weird, but we all don't konw what we would do given the position and record. it does seem unpolevaulterish though.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:52 pm

did lojo happen to take those attempts at a meet at tennesee? if so i think i know someone that was there for that
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:18 am

"The pole vault record is pretty out of the question mainly because the man that set the record later was in a position to shorten the pegs the bar sits on and also made another rule to round the other three sides of the cross-bar ends..." bulls***! THE FOLK WHO WANTED THE PEGS SHORTENED WERE THE MEET PROMOTERS WHO DID NOT WANT THE VAULT CONTINUING FOR AN HOUR AFTER THE REST OF THE MEET WAS OVER. BUBKA HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

"Both things he didn't have to deal with and changed to protect his own record." bulls***! NOTICE THAT HE NEVER TOUCHED THE BAR on his world record!

"Pretty shady and borderline cowardly if you ask me". What a GUTLESS and STUPID statement - which you would never dare make to his face. I suggest you stay away from agapit for you are likely to be snotted if he finds out who you are. Please put your name on the board so folk can know who they are dealing with in the future.

I thought I saw some signs that you were growing up and leaving your snide comments in the past - clearly I was wrong. I certainly was stupid to send you a free copy of my book. I would appreciate it if you would give it away to someone who deserves it or failing that stick it in the garbage - YOU certainly dont deserve it.

260stickjumper
PV Newbie

Unread postby 260stickjumper » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:24 am

had i known that comments such as that would be here i probably wouldnt have even started this thread. and like was stated earlier, if you had ever seen bubka's world record jump, you would know that even if the pegs were shorter than the width of the crossbar and the ends were complelety round would have made no difference considering he blew it up.

VaultnGus
PV Pro

Unread postby VaultnGus » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:56 am

On a lighter note I think Okkert Brits attempted 20' at that Toronto SkyDome meet that featured the 150m race between Donovan Bailey & Michael Johnson. Wasn't really close on any of those attempts...
"Will vault for food"

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:13 pm

Wow.

I guess my next question is who was it that changed the rule book, because I know that meet promoters don't have that power.

Altius - people somewhere voted in favor of that rule. Meet promoters can't change the rulebook. Since you made it clear you know who it was that changed the rule and that it wasn't Bubka, could you tell us? Possibly let us know how Bubka voted on the issue as a member of the IOC and IAAF? I have been told that was Bubka's doing after being named a member of the IAAF. If I am wrong, then my deepest apologies. Shame on me...

But if Bubka is in a place of power, why did he not stand up against the rule change? It was obvious that it is detrimental to the entire event, yet nothing was done to stop it? And yes, he made the world record clean, but that certainly doesn't make it right to not stand up for your fellow vaulter when you are in an obvious position to do so.

Sorry to dissappoint you.

Shame on me,
Adam Bingaman
Last edited by SlickVT on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:53 pm

I have contacted the IAAF and am hoping to hear back soon regarding this issue, however unlikely that is. There are surely records indicating who voted YAY or NAY on the issue.

I hope to clear the inconsistencies ASAP so stupid Americans like me don't make ridiculous posts on a private online forum.
Last edited by SlickVT on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blacksburg, Virginia

verticaltechnique.com

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:25 pm

vaulter870 wrote:did lojo happen to take those attempts at a meet at tennesee? if so i think i know someone that was there for that

I am not sure if he ever made any attempts in Knoxville. But I am pretty sure he for a world record indoor in Atlanta. From what I was told he should have made it. Agapit can confirm or deny, when he told me it was 2am and I wasn't exactly sober :o .

SlickVT
PV Follower

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:45 pm

altius wrote:bulls***! THE FOLK WHO WANTED THE PEGS SHORTENED WERE THE MEET PROMOTERS WHO DID NOT WANT THE VAULT CONTINUING FOR AN HOUR AFTER THE REST OF THE MEET WAS OVER. BUBKA HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

http://www2.iaaf.org/InsideIAAF/Structu ... Bubka.html

Bubka has been a council member of the IAAF since 2001.

The rule changes were made prior to the 2003 season by the IAAF council.

Therefore, this statement is 100% incorrect and Bubka did have something to do with it.

So now, the only concern is how he voted. I hope he voted NAY to prove me wrong, but if he voted YAY... Well then I don't look so GUTLESS and STUPID now do I?

So does anyone, and I mean anyone, have the results of the IAAF council vote to change the length of the pegs so that I can be proved wrong, gutless and stupid?

As the information that we have available at this moments shows, Bubka was there when the rule was proposed and it still changed. That is F-A-C-T FACT. Anything outside of that is speculation. So I do not enjoy being called stupid and gutless for a claim based on fact.

I am more than willing to admit my fault. But there had better be proof to prove that Bubka, as a member of the IAAF council at the time, did everything he could to stop this change.

I ask again, does anyone have that proof? I am working to get is as we speak and am in the process of contacting standard manufacturers as well.

Not so gutless and stupid,
Adam Bingaman

Blacksburg, Virginia

verticaltechnique.com

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:12 pm

Go your hardest slick old son - but I thought that in your country one was innocent until proven guilty - and even then - as DNA evidence is now showing - many of those poor sods in your prisons are often not guilty as charged. You should have had all your evidence nailed down before you came out with such stupid, jingoistic statements of 'fact'. I still say you are gutless because you certainly would never have the backbone to tell Bubka this to his face - instead you post it where a lot of young vaulters, who know no better - may be inclined to accept what you wrote at face value. At least my response may encourage them to question your 'facts'.

And I say again that one of the characteristics of Bubka's big jumps - including all of the world records that I have seen on film, is that he did not touch the bar at any point, so that the size of the pegs did not impact his performances.

Just to continue your education slick - Australia, at my urging, tried to get the rule changed in the situation when the pole and not the the athlete knocked the bar off (often because a following wind blew the pole forward after the athlete had released it) - because it discriminated against young athletes, decathletes and many women vaulters. America vetoed the change - or at least I 'think' they did, 'may' have done, I was told on 'good authority' that they did!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

260stickjumper
PV Newbie

Unread postby 260stickjumper » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:22 pm

fact one: BUBKA IS THE MAN!
nuf said. now if we could get back to the original topic that would be great.
thanks.

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:39 pm

does anybody know where i can find some videos of these jumps by others? :D
"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

Return to “Pole Vault - General”