Think your in shape? How do you pair up with the rest of us?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:52 pm

saraf wrote:gese i was reading all of this "stuff" it is so confusing. I don't lift, at all. I use to wrestle and I lifted then but once I started pole vault it just all stoped for some reason. Is that realy bad? I have been improving rapidly and not doing any weight lifting? i don't know, all of these numbers are just, numbers to me

For as much and often as I lift I don't recomend it to any of my vaulters. For me lifting hurts my pole vault, When I vaulted my best in college was after our new pole vault coach banned me from the wieght room. You'll do fine if you do gymnastic work and vault.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:13 pm

Hip sleds add a horizontal vector to the lift so it pretty much 1/2's or more the wieght you do..I can not do it very well because I am short and the machine is long...

-B

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:44 pm

vaultinggoat16 wrote:Hip sleds add a horizontal vector to the lift so it pretty much 1/2's or more the wieght you do..

-B

I've heard that too, and it's probably fairly acurrate.

vaultinggoat16
PV Whiz

Unread postby vaultinggoat16 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:29 pm

It is just a matter of physics I'm not in a lame enough mood to actually bother doing the vectoring...but it really does cut down on the actual wieght since how the horizontal motion relieves some of the wieght..Goes from a X vector to a X and Y vector

-B

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:18 pm

:idea: ... im only a soph in hs... we dont learn this stuff hahah
i run, therefore im buff.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:20 am

im a JR in college and STILL havent learned that... or maybe i was supposed to....... :o

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:23 am

vector physics is rather easy for me. just applyin pythagorean theorem and some basic trig.-stuff im learnin in high school physics. however, if you start talkin about rates of change in terms of this hip-sled, I haven't taken calculus-based physics, though i am in calc, although i would like to and find that stuff interesting.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:00 pm

Don't forget to take in acct. the coeffiecent for friction for the sled riding on the rails :P

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:55 pm

Robert schmitt wrote:For as much and often as I lift I don't recomend it to any of my vaulters. For me lifting hurts my pole vault, When I vaulted my best in college was after our new pole vault coach banned me from the wieght room. You'll do fine if you do gymnastic work and vault.

I agree Robert. I'm a total weakling, but in college I benched around 245 weighing 150, squatted 350ish, and cleaned about 150, but only vaulted 14'0 on the average, 14'6 twice from a 16 step run. The other day I layed on a bench and tried to press a warmup set of 10 reps with 135, and barely got the last 2 reps up - I'd be lucky if I could bench 200lbs on a one rep max these days. I haven't done weights or a sprint workout in 2 years, yet now I'm vaulting 15'0-15'6 consistently from a 14 step run on poles 20lbs heavier and I only weigh 5lbs more than I did in college. All I have done is vault 1-3 times a week, mainly from short runs of 6 steps. Do strength and speed play an important role? Absolutely, but there's a lot to be said for good technique.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:19 am

im bumping it like becca (^ bump)

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:51 am

I can hold my breath for 3 min. and 27 sec. and gauruntee that i can beat anone on this board in swimming
On a whole new level 6-20-09

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:25 am

ellis, in what swimming events? lol
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”